• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#61 DesertWing

DesertWing

Rookie

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:58 AM

Atlanta, Phoenix and Miami are not viable NHL cities. I would much rather see those franchises move to Quebec City, Winnipeg & Seattle.

I'm guessing you've never spent any significant amount of time in Seattle. It's NOT a hockey city. It's a football city (Seahawks/Huskies). I lived in SEA for 3 1/2 years and rarely heard hockey discussed or saw anything about hockey in the newspapers. I don't get why people always seem to mention Seattle as a good desination for an NHL franchise.

#62 Winger19

Winger19

LET'S GO RED WINGS

• Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

I'm guessing you've never spent any significant amount of time in Seattle. It's NOT a hockey city. It's a football city (Seahawks/Huskies). I lived in SEA for 3 1/2 years and rarely heard hockey discussed or saw anything about hockey in the newspapers. I don't get why people always seem to mention Seattle as a good desination for an NHL franchise.

I totally agree, i've never seen why people think that Seattle is some kind of hockey mecca who is so hard done by because they don't have an NHL team. The only time the Thunderbirds get fans is when they're winning, Tacoma has had a few semi-pro teams but they're gone, they had the Rockets and they moved on to greener pastures. Plain and Simple, Seattle is a football/baseball town and that's it. They don't even have a viable rink. The taxpayers are still paying off Safeco field and Qwest field.

#63 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:41 AM

Sportsnet.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#64 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

Seems like another positive step towards bringing back the Nords.

Isn't $400 million a bit steep?...I bet $250 million could build a really nice arena.

The Pepsi Coliseum could be home for an NHL franchise for a few seasons until the new place is built...I'm certain any # of franchises could turn a profit in the old barn.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#65 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:00 PM

How long would it take to complete construction? The article talks about they would start in 2015, that is 4 years from now. You think a NHL team would have to be there at least 2-3 years to establish everything - hence the comment on they could play at another local barn until then...

Edited by Rivalred, 02 March 2011 - 12:01 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#66 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

Caliwingnut: I think the Idea appearing dead was about Quebec City getting federal help this coming year for the rink. not about the rink itself.

yeah, it's why I wrote it initially, then decided I would leave it rather than edit & clarify.

However, I'm also in the camp that doesn't see the value in a franchise there, when it would be by far the NHL's smallest market in population.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#67 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

yeah, it's why I wrote it initially, then decided I would leave it rather than edit & clarify.

However, I'm also in the camp that doesn't see the value in a franchise there, when it would be by far the NHL's smallest market in population.

Yes indeed it would be the smallest market - however if they sold out each night the franchise would do much better than what we see in much larger markets such as Phoenix, Atlanta, and Miami.

My only concern with franchises in Quebec City, and Winnipeg is what we're currently seeing in Edmonton; any "decent" UFA's wanting to play in these cities, or will players pack up, and leave once they hit 27?

#68 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

Yes indeed it would be the smallest market - however if they sold out each night the franchise would do much better than what we see in much larger markets such as Phoenix, Atlanta, and Miami.

My only concern with franchises in Quebec City, and Winnipeg is what we're currently seeing in Edmonton; any "decent" UFA's wanting to play in these cities, or will players pack up, and leave once they hit 27?

That sounds great to fans, but sounds horrid to an accountant/businessman. If you've got 100% saturation, there's no where to grow. Businesses (sports or not) need to grow to survive. Other markets have more potential fans to add to the sport.

Example: If they won the cup, their parade would have to have the entire metro area show up to have 1/4 the attendance of Chicago's parade last year.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 02 March 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#69 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

That sounds great to fans, but sounds horrid to an accountant/businessman. If you've got 100% saturation, there's no where to grow. Businesses (sports or not) need to grow to survive. Other markets have more potential fans to add to the sport.

Example: If they won the cup, their parade would have to have the entire metro area show up to have 1/4 the attendance of Chicago's parade last year.

How exactly is that "growth" going along there in the 3 cities I cited earlier?

Losing $$$ is losing $$$ - no "if's, and's, or but's".

At least in Winnipeg, and Quebec City these franchises have a better than average chance of making $$$.

#70 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

Simple as this... If you put an NHL franchise in Canada somewhere, people will come. That will not be the problem by any means.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#71 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

Simple as this... If you put an NHL franchise in Canada somewhere, people will come. That will not be the problem by any means.

What kills me is this notion that a larger population = growth...That may be if it were an NFL franchise looking to re-locate to a city such as Los Angeles, but we're talking hockey here.

These teams have been there now for a a decade or more; many of the non-traditional markets continue to lose $$$.

If the BOG, and Bettman want to rid themselves of these welfare cases - then a few re-locations to the Canadian cities would be a step in the right direction.

#72 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

What kills me is this notion that a larger population = growth...That may be if it were an NFL franchise looking to re-locate to a city such as Los Angeles, but we're talking hockey here.

These teams have been there now for a a decade or more; many of the non-traditional markets continue to lose $$.

If the BOG, and Bettman want to rid themselves of these welfare cases - then a few re-locations to the Canadian cities would be a step in the right direction.

no... it's not that a larger population = growth.
It's that a larger population = more potential growth.

Again... Quebec wins Cup = 700,000 fans celebrate. Phoenix wins a Cup = millions could celebrate.
Bandwagon fans pay the same as "true" fans.

#73 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:17 AM

Again... Quebec wins Cup = 700,000 fans celebrate. Phoenix wins a Cup = millions could celebrate.

That's an estimation on your part. Quebec wins the Cup and almost guarantee people for miles would come and attend. That whole population is hockey crazy and just think, Chicago isn't and got that much. Maybe you could see the possibilities there.

#74 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

And I mean bringing up Chicago, we all know how that went down like that (bandwagon much?). I mean talk about a city that is just craving to celebrate any type of success with a sports team winning it all. Just think about how hungry the entire province of Quebec is to see Lord Stanley in a parade? It's a rabid, obsessed type fan base there.

Edited by HankthaTank, 03 March 2011 - 11:35 AM.

#75 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:32 AM

no... it's not that a larger population = growth.
It's that a larger population = more potential growth.

Personally I think the so called "potential" growth has come, and gone with many of these non-traditional markets.

Sure - there'll always be the 9,000 to 11,000 fans that are die-hard fans, but that's simply not enough for any franchise to make $$$ let alone break even.

The experiment has failed; Bettman is simply too stubborn to admit defeat, and allow the franchises to re-locate to greener Canadian pastures.

#76 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

That's an estimation on your part. Quebec wins the Cup and almost guarantee people for miles would come and attend. That whole population is hockey crazy and just think, Chicago isn't and got that much. Maybe you could see the possibilities there.

So they'll steal people from Montreal for their parade? Where exactly are they going to draw from? The 700k is a METRO population figure, not within city borders.

Edit: this is not a field of dreams situation.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 03 March 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#77 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

So they'll steal people from Montreal for their parade? Where exactly are they going to draw from? The 700k is a METRO population figure, not within city borders.

Edit: this is not a field of dreams situation.

Because the Nordiques only drew fans from Quebec, I forgot.

#78 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

Because the Nordiques only drew fans from Quebec, I forgot.

Yeah, and I fly home to Detroit every time the wings win to spend money... *rolls eyes*

Like I said earlier... bandwagon fans still spend money.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 03 March 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#79 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

Yeah, and I fly home to Detroit every time the wings win to spend money... *rolls eyes*

OK *bows to you* then *rolls eyes* Posted Image

Doesn't matter really. The point is the product isn't working here Uncle Gary.

here = Phoenix, Florida, Atlanta.

#80 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:37 PM

Like I said earlier... bandwagon fans still spend money.

Only a handful of teams go deep enough into the playoffs to get the "bandwagoners" to join in...Last time I've checked Florida, and Atlanta aren't regulars in the post season, and Phoenix got bounced in the 1st round (and many of the fans in attendance in Phoenix were rooting for the Red Wings).

OK *bows to you* then *rolls eyes* Posted Image

Doesn't matter really. The point is the product isn't working here Uncle Gary.

here = Phoenix, Florida, Atlanta.

Agreed.

Apparently the BOG doesn't mind welfare franchises.

Honestly - who care what the metro size is of any given city as long as the arena sells out each, and every home game?

Edited by F.Michael, 03 March 2011 - 04:38 PM.