Photo
- - - - -

I've Never Wached Game 7 of the 2009 SCF...

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

It pains me to say this, but I have never watched Game 7 of the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals. I watched every game leading up to that with tremendous joy or tremendous disappointment. When it turned out that the Wings were going to have to go to a Game 7, I thought it was such a great opportunity to see a game that will probably never happen again in my life time. A Game 7 in the Stanley Cup Finals featuring Detroit at home. I was actually excited to see it because I knew of the monumental excitement that would come from such an intense game. Everything was on the line. It was sudden death. No going back.

Then, to my surprise/horror, I realized that the game fell on the same day and time of my fiance's sister's wedding. I was devastated. After riding an emotional roller-coaster all throughout the 2009 Playoffs, I felt like I really deserved to watch this game and find closure (and another Cup for the Wings). But realizing that there was no way that I could get out of it, I sucked it up and decided to just record the game and hopefully avoid anyone spoiling it for me while I was at the wedding. I was in California at the time after all, so I figured that it shouldn't be that hard. But alas, the game was spoiled....update by agonizing update. There was family from Michigan there and they were checking their phones all throughout the ceremony. Once I found out that we had lost the game, I really could not bring myself to watch the recorded game, much less any highlights from it. It was just too hard to bear.

So, even to this day, any time I happen to come across a video that highlights the game or shows any clips for it, I immediately turn it off. As I said, it is just too hard to watch. I feel that there is really no point because I know the unhappy ending and I don't feel like getting down about watching it. (I still get down even when I watch the 3OT loss in Game 5 of the '08 finals.)

I think that I will always feel this way about that game, and I really do not think that I will ever be able to watch it.

Am I wrong for doing this? Is it my duty as a fan to watch the game?

Posted Image

#2 Xitium

Xitium

Super Lurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

You're not wrong.

To this day, I've never seen the handshake line, or the cup raise from that game.

Call it sour grapes, whatever.

If you start a new thread within two hours after a Wings game, specifically a loss, YOU ARE WRONG.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:34 AM

You're not wrong.

To this day, I've never seen the handshake line, or the cup raise from that game.

Never seen the handshakes, but crosby lifting the cup was everywhere last year. If it's any consolation... when Yzerman lifted the cup he raised it to the crowd, when crosby lifted the cup he raised it as if he himself had won it. Yzerman will always be the better captain :)

#4 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

Not only did I not watch the game, me and my wife had just got to Pittsburgh on our way back from Boston on vacation. She wanted to go to Pittsburgh on the way back, I wanted to go to Montreal. So we arrived in Pittsburgh, parked, and by the time we reached the exit of of the parking garage, the Pens were 7 seconds away from winning.

As we stepped out, the city went ballistic. I was pretty positive we were going to win the series, probably why I agreed to go at that time. The Tigers were playing the Pirates that weekend as well, so there were Detroiters everywhere. I watched the ceremony in a bar. Seeing Crosby lift the cup on our ice was pathetic, I hated watching it. Some drunk woman was screaming "F you Hossa!", it was pretty lame. It was kinda cool to watch the city when they won, they were a tad bit excited to say the least. I can't stand the Penguins though, so it was bittersweet.

P.S. That day cemented my Lemieux/Forsberg-type dislike for Maxim Talbot and his playoff heroics...

#5 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:44 AM

Cup or not, Zetterberg still owns Crosby.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#6 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

well we now know who to blame for the wings losing...
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,159 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

I turned the TV off as soon as the buzzer sounded. I honestly thought Lidstrom was going to score there at the end when I saw half the net open. When he didn't, I just turned off the monitor and buried my head in my hands on the table.

I did eventually turn it back on for the handshake line, but turned it off immediately thereafter. So I never saw the celebration or any of that s***. Too embarrassed to watch them skate the Cup on our ice.

Honestly, I wouldn't have missed the game for my own wedding, let alone someone else's. :hehe:
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#8 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

As soon as the time ran off the clock, I left the restaurant bawling. As I was leaving, I glanced at the TV and they were showing Gonchar who's eyebrows were halfway up his head...that really pissed me off. I did eventually see the handshake, but not that night, and I will never EVER see that fool raise the Cup. I close my eyes whenever Versus starts to show it.

I actually can't watch any game from that series, even the ones we won, because I know how it all ends. I hate knowing it was all in vain.
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#9 Winged_Wheeler

Winged_Wheeler

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

Why do we have to continue to bring this up?

#10 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

I watched it live, heard the final horn sound and haven't watched any of it since. Never will. Don't spend much time watching the 95 Final either.

Detroit would like to welcome the Eastern Conference

13416406403_264f5aaa63_o.jpg

#11 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

I actually can't watch any game from that series, even the ones we won, because I know how it all ends. I hate knowing it was all in vain.

agreed.

Posted Image

#12 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:15 PM

i was there, even worse
To whom much is given, much is expected

#13 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

I had to work a video shoot that evening, so I never got to see the game, not even a single minute. The most I had was some txt updates on my phone from friends here at LGW. I'll never watch that game. Only reason I've ever seen douchebag crybaby raising the Cup is because of Versus.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#14 robat

robat

PAVELTECHNO

• Bronze Booster
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

i was there, even worse

I had to choose between game 5 and 7. I was pissed I didn't go to game 7, until it happened. Glad I went to game 5.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

Ill agree with whoever said being there was far worse...I stood there for 30 mins more upset than I have been in a very very long time.

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#16 RedWingsFan13

RedWingsFan13

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:47 PM

First we need a mod to seal this thread, then we need to form a coalition to break into the NHL archives and eradicate any evidence that a season even took place that year. We follow this up by pressing the reset button on the internet thus erasing all youtube clips and pics. Hey that was a lockout year right?!?! ;)

#17 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

i was there, even worse

im sorry buddy....that game was so painful. i finally watched the rest of the game...you know the presenting of the cup and handshakes an all a that s***...only because i heard the wings fans were very polite to the pens when they were skating with it..and they were. it goes to show how much of a top notch organization we have.

#18 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,159 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

Why do we have to continue to bring this up?

Well, it's the worst loss any of us have seen the Wings take. You dream of playing at home with a chance to win the Cup. We had that and still lost.

The fact that it was to the Pens only makes things worse.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#19 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

You're not wrong.

Amen. I wish I'd just done that. Instead, I drank the last of the cheap rum I had (why didn't I just shell out the extra and have another Gosling's Black Seal on standby?) and came and bitched on here until 1am. Ouch.
Hockeytown - No Limits

#20 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

From time to time, I will wake up hyperventilating and in a cold sweat. After sitting up and calming myself, I wipe the tears from my eyes, and rest my head on the pillow. Slowly close my eyes and pray to god that Crosby and Malkin will play in the KHL, while Bettman becomes the commissioner for Nascar.

Saying to myself, all will be OK, you are safe.

But seriously, it was a BS game and penalties should of been called. Eff the Pens, Bettman, and the refs.

Edited by Rivalred, 06 September 2010 - 02:09 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1