• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zombi

I've Never Wached Game 7 of the 2009 SCF...

Rate this topic

You're not wrong.

To this day, I've never seen the handshake line, or the cup raise from that game.

Call it sour grapes, whatever.

Same here. Saw Lidstrom's shot and when it didn't go in, the TV came off. I couldn't bear seeing the Cup raise or the handshake line.

i was there, even worse

I would have thrown up...like everywhere.

"What hurts the most, was being so close. And having that Cup to raise, and watch it get thrown away. And always knowing, what would have been. And just scoring those final two, is what they were trying to do."

I prefer to just keep it out of my head. I'm as over it as I can be but just being the kind of Wings Fan that I am I'll never fully get over it. I saw the whole thing becasue I felt that if I was at home and watching the game I should at least respect the Pens enough to watch their moment of glory I didn't want to be a sore loser. All the talk that led up to the series and that game I just don't even want to go back to it becasue it will bring back emotions that I'm trying to stay a way from. I'm just glad to see the Pens didn't go back to back Champs.

I actually stopped watching the game after Talbot made it 2-0. I knew it was over at that point. Unfortunately, I was right. To this day, I still have not watched the end of the 2nd, and the entire 3rd period. I have seen clips of FLeury's save on Lidstrom though. One of the worst feelings I have ever had. Glad I'm not alone.

Yupp. And was cursing my head off the whole time.

I saved that for under my breath after the game was over. I stood in silent hope for the final minute of play, and yelled when Nick was wide open and took the final shot. When Fleury stopped it, I simply sat back down, almost in a daze knowing my absolute worst sports fear had been realized - someone was about to skate the Stanley Cup on Joe Louis Arena ice and it wasn't the Red Wings.

I tried to forget as much as I could about that night, but the one thing that I still remember is how fast the third period went by. I can't recall ever watching such a quick period. Obviously the Wings being down 2-0 and then 2-1 played a role, but it all just came crashing down abruptly.

I want to see the Penguins next June. It's the only way to make things right.

Edited by GoWings1905

I never saw game 7 and still have not bothered to even watch it nor will I ever for that matter. I just the other day sat down and watched the 95 finals on NHL Classic Series on the NHL Network and that was already painful enough, but I was young when that happened so it felt nice to see just what happened now that I have played enough for the last number of years.

I remember rooting for the Hawks to win game 5 so the Finals wouldn't start that weekend. Then I remember being confused why AbdelKader was not going to play in game 3 after scoring in games 1 and 2. And I'll always remember Hossa sucking for the entire series.

Edited by Manoir

I'm just wondering who here is old enough to be a Wings fan, or remember, before 1997? 2009 was bad, but as a fan since the late 1980's, it wasn't the worst for me. 1994, 1995, and 1996 was much worse.

After winning the cup, playoff defeats, for me, were easier to take.

I remember watching parts of the '95 finals when I was a kid. I don't remember much of it.

In '96, I remember listening the radio broadcast when the Avs eliminated the Wings while driving home from a wedding with my parents in Pennsylvania.

I'm just wondering who here is old enough to be a Wings fan, or remember, before 1997? 2009 was bad, but as a fan since the late 1980's, it wasn't the worst for me. 1994, 1995, and 1996 was much worse.

After winning the cup, playoff defeats, for me, were easier to take.

94 was bad because it was a huge upset, but it was just the first round and we knew this team was going to be great in the very near future. 95 was really disappointing after the way they smashed through everyone, but I mean... they were swept. They weren't the better team. 96 was bad because we had the greatest record of all time, but again, that wasn't the Finals. 2009 was the worst in my opinion. We had a MUCH better team and despite the injuries and non-calls, we were within one game of the Cup. The Stanley Cup was in our building and the biggest d-bag in the NHL lifts it. That's about as bad as it gets.

2009 was the worst in my opinion. We had a MUCH better team and despite the injuries and non-calls, we were within one game of the Cup. The Stanley Cup was in our building and the biggest d-bag in the NHL lifts it. That's about as bad as it gets.

I'm not old enough to remember the other losses, but on top of what you said, it also hurt (this one is probably just me) because it would have spared Hossa ridicule and it would have been back to back Cups. There's been a team I think nearly every decade to repeat and no one had done it from 2000-2010, and it was our turn!!!! You couldn't write it any worse!

94 was bad because it was a huge upset, but it was just the first round and we knew this team was going to be great in the very near future. 95 was really disappointing after the way they smashed through everyone, but I mean... they were swept. They weren't the better team. 96 was bad because we had the greatest record of all time, but again, that wasn't the Finals. 2009 was the worst in my opinion. We had a MUCH better team and despite the injuries and non-calls, we were within one game of the Cup. The Stanley Cup was in our building and the biggest d-bag in the NHL lifts it. That's about as bad as it gets.

Yea to each their own. 2009 was a feeling of missed opportunity for sure.

Adding 1993 to 1994-1996, I just remember after losing in 1996 and Draper getting his face smashed in, wondering if we'd ever win the Cup. Plus all the talk about Yzerman not being a winner and a good leader wasn't fun to listen to.

Once we got Shanahan though, I knew we'd win.

I watched it, handshakes and everything to the skate around with the Cup. I wanted to know what it looked like and remind myself of what watching them lose felt like, so I could appreciate watching them win it all again in a very short time.

All the bitterness I had towards Scotty and Mike Vernon and everybody on that team who disappointed me in the past evaporated when they beat Philly in 1997. Seeing them lose to the ******* Avs in 96 was like watching your girlfriend make out at a party half an hour after she dumped you.

But watching in 97 I felt like everything this team had put me through since the 80s was somehow worth it. For the investment to feel worth it again, I thought if they were going to lose in a Cup final, I had to watch it.

The worst part about that SCF is, the way the Penguins acted like a bunch of spoiled brats in Game 5. They hacked our guys legs with cheap stick shots. They acted with little class and got rewarded anyways. Sigh...

The lack of a suspension to Malkin in game 2 is a constant reminder of the fact that there are, and have always been, two different sets of rules.

Edited by mjlegend