• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaliWingsNut

#DanEllisProblems

Rate this topic

Don't feel inadequate because you don't make as much as someone with a very rare skill/talent.

You make more than I do at both my jobs combined.

It's not about how much you make; it's about how much you spend on booze.

Wow. That did not come out like a wise fortune cookie-type saying.

I assume more is better? Because, if not...uh oh.

Guest CaliWingsNut

@33dellis

Twitter was a great way to see inside the life of athletes outside of public media. But this is even too much for me.

I feel bad for the sincere followers/fans who just wanted a glimpse of things from the inside. But with the recent explosion...

I am shutting down my twitter because in no way shape or form do I want this to disrupt my team.

I deeply care for my teammates and faithful followers. This has all been misconstrued to no end and ppl's feelings are getting hurt.

Help under privileged kids across the world. as long as I play in the NHL my peldge will remain the same to The Garth Brooks Foundation

I deeply care for the less fortunate and make many efforts to be of even marginal help. I wish you all a happy twitter experience and...

Hope you do not allow this misunderstanding to form the basis of your opinion of me. I welcome any of you to meet me in person to chat.

But no longer will I xpress things through this medium. Thx again to all the good ppl I have met on twitter. I wish you all the very best.

Peace out twitter!

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Guest CaliWingsNut

How many people actually follow a backup goaltender's Twitter?

Obviously me... I follow LOTS of people. I follow all nhl'ers I find. Tweetdeck helps nicely for this.

However, @33dellis had 12,390 followers when he posted "Peace out"

I get where people are coming from, and he would've done well to just avoid the matter, but I think the point he made about how problems exist up and down the earnings spectrum that all share similarities despite perhaps drastically different numbers. The thing you have to remember about these guys is that many if not most are making the money they'll use for the rest of their lives now. Many of them have a very narrow window of opportunity to make good money before they move on to making perhaps very, very little money. Many assume that people in the entertainment industry seemingly making the big bucks are automatically rich, but I think many would be surprised at how far from the truth that is.

Again, I'm not saying he wouldn't have done well to avoid the topic, but I get where he's coming from and I don't hold it against him.

If you are earning over 1 million dollars a year for four years, you are rich. Not wealthy, but rich. If after that four years, you are broke and have to worry about money... you are dumb.

I do agree with his sentiment that money doesn't buy happiness. He's spot on there.

Edited by Broken 16

Guest CaliWingsNut

If you are earning over 1 million dollars a year for four years, you are rich. Not wealthy, but rich. If after that four years, you are broke and have to worry about money... you are dumb.

I do agree with his sentiment that money doesn't buy happiness. He's spot on there.

Wrong... well to a point.

Up to 75,000 money buys some happiness

Wrong... well to a point.

Up to 75,000 money buys some happiness

Right but saying $75,000 buys some happiness is no different than saying buying a Snickers buys some happiness imo. The point he was trying to make is that money can't solve a majority of problems. Financial problems, sure. But that's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the potential problems one can and will face in a lifetime. His point is valid. His delivery sucked.

Right but saying $75,000 buys some happiness is no different than saying buying a Snickers buys some happiness imo. The point he was trying to make is that money can't solve a majority of problems. Financial problems, sure. But that's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the potential problems one can and will face in a lifetime. His point is valid. His delivery sucked.

I'd be happy to test the theory if you guys would like donate the necessary funds ;)

Edited by ShanahanMan

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'd be happy to test the theory if you guys would like donate the necessary funds ;)

great... I'll get the snickers...

Okay, I think the dude has an incredible case of foot-in-mouth disease, and I can't believe he thought people wouldn't take this the wrong way, but I do have to say he has a bit of a point, especially after reading a thing on KK that pointed out some realities about the situation. The thing that sticks out most in my mind from the article is that these guys are only playing until they're 40, and most of them didn't go to college, so it's not like they can actually SPEND $1 mil a year because they need to be saving for 35-50 years of retirement. Obviously Ellis couldn't explain this on Twitter, and I have no idea why he decided to try, but I do understand a little bit about where he's coming from even though he ticked me off supremely.

I left out a ton of stuff from the article, so here's the link:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/sh/comments/ellis_tweets_offered_glimpse_into_cba_battle/

Guest CaliWingsNut

people are still talking about this

If it was mid season, yeaterday's news... but...

...but I do have to say he has a bit of a point, especially after reading a thing on KK that pointed out some realities about the situation. The thing that sticks out most in my mind from the article is that these guys are only playing until they're 40, and most of them didn't go to college, so it's not like they can actually SPEND $1 mil a year because they need to be saving for 35-50 years of retirement. Obviously Ellis couldn't explain this on Twitter, and I have no idea why he decided to try, but I do understand a little bit about where he's coming from even though he ticked me off supremely.

I left out a ton of stuff from the article, so here's the link:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/sh/comments/ellis_tweets_offered_glimpse_into_cba_battle/

Not much of a point.

Consider the fact that Ellis has in just the last two years made more money than ~90% of Americans will make in their lifetime. Consider that at age 45, assuming he is credited for 160 games played, he'll get a pension of $45,000/year or more. Consider that retiring from hockey doesn't mean he is unable to work at all. Consider that his high income now gives him extraordinary investment opportunities. He really doesn't have anything to complain about.

I too can understand being upset about losing 18% (or whatever it was) of your expected income. Only natural. But he should also be grateful enough about what he does make to not worry about it. And he damn sure shouldn't be whining about it on the internet. That was just downright stupid. Lol.

Not much of a point.

Consider the fact that Ellis has in just the last two years made more money than ~90% of Americans will make in their lifetime. Consider that at age 45, assuming he is credited for 160 games played, he'll get a pension of $45,000/year or more. Consider that retiring from hockey doesn't mean he is unable to work at all. Consider that his high income now gives him extraordinary investment opportunities. He really doesn't have anything to complain about.

I too can understand being upset about losing 18% (or whatever it was) of your expected income. Only natural. But he should also be grateful enough about what he does make to not worry about it. And he damn sure shouldn't be whining about it on the internet. That was just downright stupid. Lol.

Bingo!

What a ******... He also bashes the city of Detroit.

Oh, the self-righteous indignation!

You do realize that myself and the other folks from down south (Tennessee and beyond) have to suffer through all the redneck/hillbilly nonsense EVERY time that the Wings play in Nashville, right?

So, this whole "he's picking on Detroit!", rings very hollow.