• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

What a ******... He also bashes the city of Detroit.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#62 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

I get where people are coming from, and he would've done well to just avoid the matter, but I think the point he made about how problems exist up and down the earnings spectrum that all share similarities despite perhaps drastically different numbers. The thing you have to remember about these guys is that many if not most are making the money they'll use for the rest of their lives now. Many of them have a very narrow window of opportunity to make good money before they move on to making perhaps very, very little money. Many assume that people in the entertainment industry seemingly making the big bucks are automatically rich, but I think many would be surprised at how far from the truth that is.

Again, I'm not saying he wouldn't have done well to avoid the topic, but I get where he's coming from and I don't hold it against him.

If you are earning over 1 million dollars a year for four years, you are rich. Not wealthy, but rich. If after that four years, you are broke and have to worry about money... you are dumb.

I do agree with his sentiment that money doesn't buy happiness. He's spot on there.

Edited by Broken 16, 11 September 2010 - 09:16 PM.

#63 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

If you are earning over 1 million dollars a year for four years, you are rich. Not wealthy, but rich. If after that four years, you are broke and have to worry about money... you are dumb.

I do agree with his sentiment that money doesn't buy happiness. He's spot on there.

Wrong... well to a point.

Up to 75,000 money buys some happiness

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#64 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:21 PM

Wrong... well to a point.

Up to 75,000 money buys some happiness

Right but saying $75,000 buys some happiness is no different than saying buying a Snickers buys some happiness imo. The point he was trying to make is that money can't solve a majority of problems. Financial problems, sure. But that's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the potential problems one can and will face in a lifetime. His point is valid. His delivery sucked.

#65 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:11 AM

Right but saying $75,000 buys some happiness is no different than saying buying a Snickers buys some happiness imo. The point he was trying to make is that money can't solve a majority of problems. Financial problems, sure. But that's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the potential problems one can and will face in a lifetime. His point is valid. His delivery sucked.

I'd be happy to test the theory if you guys would like donate the necessary funds ;)

Edited by ShanahanMan, 12 September 2010 - 12:51 AM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#66 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:01 AM

I'd be happy to test the theory if you guys would like donate the necessary funds ;)

great... I'll get the snickers...

#67 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:31 AM

Okay, I think the dude has an incredible case of foot-in-mouth disease, and I can't believe he thought people wouldn't take this the wrong way, but I do have to say he has a bit of a point, especially after reading a thing on KK that pointed out some realities about the situation. The thing that sticks out most in my mind from the article is that these guys are only playing until they're 40, and most of them didn't go to college, so it's not like they can actually SPEND $1 mil a year because they need to be saving for 35-50 years of retirement. Obviously Ellis couldn't explain this on Twitter, and I have no idea why he decided to try, but I do understand a little bit about where he's coming from even though he ticked me off supremely.

I left out a ton of stuff from the article, so here's the link:
http://www.kuklaskor...nto_cba_battle/

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#68 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:45 AM

people are still talking about this

#69 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:44 AM

people are still talking about this

If it was mid season, yeaterday's news... but...

#70 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

...but I do have to say he has a bit of a point, especially after reading a thing on KK that pointed out some realities about the situation. The thing that sticks out most in my mind from the article is that these guys are only playing until they're 40, and most of them didn't go to college, so it's not like they can actually SPEND $1 mil a year because they need to be saving for 35-50 years of retirement. Obviously Ellis couldn't explain this on Twitter, and I have no idea why he decided to try, but I do understand a little bit about where he's coming from even though he ticked me off supremely.

I left out a ton of stuff from the article, so here's the link:
http://www.kuklaskor...nto_cba_battle/

Not much of a point.

Consider the fact that Ellis has in just the last two years made more money than ~90% of Americans will make in their lifetime. Consider that at age 45, assuming he is credited for 160 games played, he'll get a pension of $45,000/year or more. Consider that retiring from hockey doesn't mean he is unable to work at all. Consider that his high income now gives him extraordinary investment opportunities. He really doesn't have anything to complain about.

I too can understand being upset about losing 18% (or whatever it was) of your expected income. Only natural. But he should also be grateful enough about what he does make to not worry about it. And he damn sure shouldn't be whining about it on the internet. That was just downright stupid. Lol.

#71 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:43 AM

Not much of a point.

Consider the fact that Ellis has in just the last two years made more money than ~90% of Americans will make in their lifetime. Consider that at age 45, assuming he is credited for 160 games played, he'll get a pension of $45,000/year or more. Consider that retiring from hockey doesn't mean he is unable to work at all. Consider that his high income now gives him extraordinary investment opportunities. He really doesn't have anything to complain about.

I too can understand being upset about losing 18% (or whatever it was) of your expected income. Only natural. But he should also be grateful enough about what he does make to not worry about it. And he damn sure shouldn't be whining about it on the internet. That was just downright stupid. Lol.

Bingo!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#72 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,646 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

Where?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#73 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

Where?

At Twitter.

http://plixi.com/p/13337353

Edited by Jusek, 12 September 2010 - 01:48 PM.

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#74 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

He's got 99 problems, but the Cup ain't one.

#75 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

Oh, the self-righteous indignation!

You do realize that myself and the other folks from down south (Tennessee and beyond) have to suffer through all the redneck/hillbilly nonsense EVERY time that the Wings play in Nashville, right?

So, this whole "he's picking on Detroit!", rings very hollow.
Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#76 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:15 AM

Oh, the self-righteous indignation!

You do realize that myself and the other folks from down south (Tennessee and beyond) have to suffer through all the redneck/hillbilly nonsense EVERY time that the Wings play in Nashville, right?

So, this whole "he's picking on Detroit!", rings very hollow.

Especially for those of us who are inbred hillbilly rednecks who lost our teeth the old-fashioned way despite never having played hockey and have the intellectual capacity of a farm animal.

Such things are silly jabs to the people speaking, but serious affronts to those at whom they are aimed. Perspective is a good thing.

I plus your post, good sir.