• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LowTide

Lidstrom's defensive partners

Rate this topic

I was hoping I could get some help listing Lidstrom's defensive partners over the years.

I also hope to take a look at the 'Lidstrom Effect' and how those partners perform in years they were paired with Lidstrom.

I know some years he had multiple partners so I would apreciate help filling them in

Going from my memory:

1992 -- McCrimmon

1993 -- McCrimmon; Was he also playing with Chiasson for a stretch? Or Howe?

1994 -- Coffey

1995 -- Coffey

1996 -- Coffey

1997 -- Murphy for a bit and in the playoffs -- who was it for most of the season though?

1998 -- Murphy

1999 -- Murphy

2000 -- Murphy

2001 -- Murphy and I think Dandeneault?

2002 -- Didn't he play with a few this year?

2003 -- Was he playing with Bykov at this time?

2004 -- Schneider

2005 -- Schneider

2006 -- Schneider

2007 -- Markov; Some Lilja?

2008 -- Rafalski

2009 -- Rafalski

2010 -- Rafalski

Thanks for any help filling the holes in my memory!

Edited by LowTide

I know he played with Danny Markov for a while.

Thanks! He definitely played in the 07 playoffs with Markov, and most of the regular season, I believe.

Schneider was playing with Kronwall that year, if memory serves me...

Edited by LowTide

McCrimmon = McCrummy

Now, as in the assistant coach? Or back then?

i didn't think McCrimmon was bad at all w/ the wings -- though he was great with Phily.

Howe and McCrimmon was probably the best defensive pair in the NHL at the time (with the Flyers).... does anyone remember if Howe and McCrimmon played much together in Detroit?

I honestly believe that Larry Murphy had probably the biggest impact on Lidstrom's developement...Murphy never being fleet of foot - was making the smart plays, rarely got caught outta position, and was tuff to beat 1 on 1...I'm certain Nick picked up alot from Larry.

Agree about the similar playing styles, but Lidstrom usually credits McCrimmon as being his largest influence in the NHL.

Really?..I know the "Beast" was his 1st defense partner, but I honestly would've thought Murph had a greater impact...Kinda funny how that is, and yet many here want McCrimmon's head on a platter (except for myself).

Salming obviously had a huge influence on Lidstrom as he was growing up watching him - but he does give McCrimmon a lot of credit in pretty much every interview when asked who his influences were. I have a feeling it played a big part in McCrimmon being hired, and for keeping his job. McCrimmon really was a premier defensive defenseman and tends to get underrated.

By the time Murphy came along, I think Lidstrom was already better than him.

IMHO defensive minded Dmen are the red-headed step children of the league (and in hockey in general); the only time they get noticed is when they screw up, and yet on most nights they do their jobs with nobody noticing, and with little fan fair.

It's why guys like Bob Rouse are 1 of my favorite NHL'ers; did his job night in, and night out, dropped the gloves, blocked shots, ruffed-up opposing forwards around the crease, got the puck outta his own end quickly, etc, etc.

Have to appreciate the love for Bob Rouse!

IMHO defensive minded Dmen are the red-headed step children of the league (and in hockey in general); the only time they get noticed is when they screw up, and yet on most nights they do their jobs with nobody noticing, and with little fan fair.

It's why guys like Bob Rouse are 1 of my favorite NHL'ers; did his job night in, and night out, dropped the gloves, blocked shots, ruffed-up opposing forwards around the crease, got the puck outta his own end quickly, etc, etc.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/05/brad_stuart_the_red_wings_shut.html

"I'm a big fan of his," forward Todd Bertuzzi said about Brad Stuart. "He's a real lunch-bucket guy -- just shows up, works hard, does his job. He's a big help for us back there."

1997 -- Murphy for a bit and in the playoffs -- who was it for most of the season though?

Was it Rouse? Fetisov-Konstantinov was the top two, and Pushor-Ward/Eriksson was the bottom two, so that leaves Lidstrom-Rouse.

However, Scotty was consistently changing lines.

In 1996-97, I believe Lidstrom played off/on with Konstantinov before the Murphy trade, and in 2003-04 he started off with Hatcher before Hatcher blew his knee out.

I always thought he played with Fischer -- The Towers of Power!!!

I'm often a big fan of players who are underrated. That's a major reason Steve Chiasson is my favorite all-time Wings defenseman.

He was very good defensively, and played a physical game, but was also capable of contributing offensively when put in an offensive role. As in 1992-93, when he was an All-Star and placing 14th in voting among postseason All-Stars. Norris voting was much tighter then than now due to the 3 vote ballot vs 5 vote ballot, and only a handful of defensemen showed up each year. The biggest proof of how underrated Chiasson was throughout his career was the fact that he consistently produced just below or above Blake's level of offense, generally on worse teams. The only exception to this was 1993-94, the last year Gretzky won the Art Ross, and Luc Robitaille's last 40+ goal season; although he produced 30+ a few more times.

While I'm on this rambling rant, Chiasson missed part of the 97-98 season. If you pro-rate his stats to 82 games, they come out to 9-34-43, -2. Blake's, pro-rated to 82, come out to 23-27-50, -4. Can someone tell me why again Blake won the Norris that year, over Lidstrom, or even Scott Niedermayer, Kevin Hatcher, Sergei Zubov, Larry Murphy, Teppo Numminen, Steve Duchesne, Al MacInnis, Ray Bourque, Chris Chelios, Chris Pronger, or Chiasson? Or any of the number of guys I didn't mention who were better than him that year.

I was hoping I could get some help listing Lidstrom's defensive partners over the years.

I also hope to take a look at the 'Lidstrom Effect' and how those partners perform in years they were paired with Lidstrom.

I know some years he had multiple partners so I would apreciate help filling them in

Going from my memory:

1992 -- McCrimmon

1993 -- McCrimmon; Was he also playing with Chiasson for a stretch? Or Howe?

Lidstrom played quite a bit with Howe in 92-93; Chiasson played most of the year opposite Konstantinov. Always loved that pairing becausing it had two solid defensive defensemen who could skate and play the puck, plus Chiasson had a wicked crazy shot. Not a very common combination.