• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

drumnj

Traverse City Prospects Tournament and Wings Training Camp Coverage

Rate this topic

I just posted more videos to my photobucket album for Day 2. Sorry, they take so long to download.

On an interesting side note, I went to a dinner tonight for Season Ticket holders with a friend who is one, and got to talk one-on-one with Howard and Ericsson. I asked Jimmy what he did with his old mask, and he said it was officially retired. But then he said that the Doc Oct one is a back-up and that his real new one hasn't arrived yet. I then said, "You're probably not going to give me any hints as to what's on it, are you?" and he replied with a smirk, "No, sorry, you'll just have to wait until next week to see that one." :P

Ken Kal and John Keating MCed the event and kept us laughing while we ate until Ken Holland showed up for a question and answer session. As he was talking, he discussed the future of goaltending in Detroit and felt Howie was the long term answer, and also mentioned he was a big fan of veteran players, indicating that Osgood (and players like Draper too) complimented the new guys on the team because they were "company" men who would do anything (take less pay and less of a role) for the team's sake. He mentioned he had read on the internet how "people are saying 'well so and so is too old' and such," so for those who wonder if they read and visit LGW, maybe. ;) I wished I had a tape recorder because he discussed a lot of interesting points that many on here would love to listen too (shoot outs, new prospects who've impressed him, the team this season), but sadly, I didn't have one handy.

Glad you all are enjoying the "Live" coverage here in Traverse City. Just wish I could have a media pass to get better pictures. ;)

Here's my pictures from Day 2.

Thank you so much for doing this! One question, though- is the guy in #74 Valtteri or Ilari? They look so much alike that I need to ask to be sure.

Pat- Congrats on Loki's fan club. Needing a service animal is not what one wants in life, but you sure got a nice silver lining here!

Glad all you ladies are having fun. Thanks again for posting!

Thank you so much for doing this! One question, though- is the guy in #74 Valtteri or Ilari? They look so much alike that I need to ask to be sure.

Ilari. I don't know why but to me they look very different. Then again, I always think I can choose the correct Sedin twin and I'm not as good as that as I think.

Ilari. I don't know why but to me they look very different. Then again, I always think I can choose the correct Sedin twin and I'm not as good as that as I think.

Thanks. I kind of thought so, but wanted to be sure before I filed it.

Guest mindfly

2 goals for Sebastien Piche lately, he seems to be good on offense and if he fix his defensive errors he could end up in detroit in a few years.

I like his name too :thumbup:

I thought Ilari was wearing #41?

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad221/mcmz20/Detroit%20Red%20Wings%20Training%20Camp%202010/Saturday%20September%2018th/P1140398.jpg

I don't think anyone can tell the Sedin twins apart.

Guest Heaten

Hudler hasn't been doing much this camp. 0 points and -4 in two games while playing with Cleary and Modano.

Archibald seems to be doing well at camp. If he continues, I wouldn't mind seeing Holland throwing a contact at him.

WOW! This team is absolutely amazing this year - depth and speed! The youngsters that are waiting for injuries are looking very sharp. Sat in the front row for all 3 days and saw more laughter than we have in previous years. Was able to meet Kira, Loki (Loki loves to have his belly rubbed!) and Terry - THE NICEST PEOPLE YOU WILL EVER MEET! The Traverse City Record Eagle did a very nice write up on our 3 friends yesterday. Got to watch Kira from across the ice today - she was snapping photos like crazy and rubbing shoulders w/ "her boys!" Lucky lady!!! Got the scoop from Kira every morning, so we were prepared.

Watched Pav and Z play keep away - entertained the crowd and then Pav gave us wave and acknowledged the cheers - awesome guys.

Downie is looking faster - he did a great job. The boys all look rested - very sharp and ready. Modono is taller and thinner than we expected. He is looking very good on face offs. Hudler had an ear to ear grin and was really skating well.

Both Mr. & Mrs. Illitch came to watch practice on Sunday...we got some photos of them. This was the first time in 10 years that we have seen them at Training Camp...

Can't wait to see what happens...

Aw, you're gonna make me blush...

Today's pics are up on Photobucket. Enjoy and snark to your hearts' content!

Edited by Kira

Really enjoyed today's practices too. My pictures are up for Day 3. I am slowly uploading my video of Pavel, Zetterberg, and Homer playing keep away as well as other videos. It was very funny and the definite highlight for the day. Got to meet Eaves, Modano, Hudler, Lidstrom, Filppula, and McCollum today. My group was talking to Val about how much he looks like his brother, and I said, "But you're definitely the cuter one," then teased him by saying, "But you wouldn't know if we said that to him yesterday as well." To which, he replied, "No, it's definitely me." :rolleyes:

Helm, and V. Filppula both had nice goals today, and Miller got the overtime goal. Tatar and Tardiff were really doing well. Helm also almost had a breakaway. I asked him what his goal for shorties this season would be, and he kind of chuckled and said he didn't know. One of my group said 35, and he goes, "Oh, I don't know about that many!" Liked his Charlie Brown (his favorite character) T-shirt.

It was also nice to meet Kira and Loki today too. Can't wait for tomorrow's Red and White game. I'll probably end up with 500 pictures. :hehe:

This was before the second period began, when all the players were skating around. Ilari went over to Valtteri to talk to him, but as usually is the case with my camera when taking sports pictures, sometimes the timing just gives you pictures that are funny looking. There's one in there of Homer posing in a funny way, and one of Doug Janik and Datsyuk that is pretty cute too.

Well I figured I'd post this here since it technically has "something" to do with training camp and Traverse City. I went out to Dillingers and Bootleggers last night for a friends BDay. As we're sitting at the bar I looked to my right and saw a guy who looked exactly like John Keating, but thought to myself, "Why would he be here?", so I thought nothing of it. Then about twenty minutes later the Grind Line walked in followed by Ozzie and J-Ho! They were there for a few hours and here's my interactions with them:

As cheesy as it was, I opened with "X, thank you for all you've done for 'us', how's TC treating yah'"

Draper: Seemed like he didn't realllly want to be there and passed me off and seemed quite reserved.

Maltby: Was absolutely clutch all night. He never wasn't double fisting beers all night haha. Asked him how his injuries feel and he says he feels 100% (might have been the booze, but he looked healthy to me)

DMac: He was everyones friend last night. Talked to everyone that came up to him and I never heard so many random people say, "you were/are totally my hero". His reply always seemed to be 'I wouldn't be if it weren't for the Wings" or something along those lines, just an absolutely great guy.

Ozzie: Man he's a tiny dude. I talked to him some of the most. I asked him what he was going to say in his HHOF speech kind of off the cuff. This guy is the most humble person i have ever met. He said that he would like to be in the HHOF, but he doesn't know or think he'll get in. I also asked if he think he'll finally get to 400 wins this season and his response was "with this team, I better (laughing)" and we laughed.

Jimmy Howard: He's a goalie through and through. He was all GQ'd up and you could tell he was feeling pretty good. I asked him how many years has it been since he's been coming up to TC and he said 6 and quickly responded with "and hopefully another 10 years!!!". This dude is legit and a great guy.

This was my Monday night, i figured LGW nation would appreciate this.

I'll upload some photos later if you peeps want.