• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chairman Maouth

Vancouver Writer Rates the Wings

Rate this topic

Thought you guys might be interested in this. I think I saw a thread here awhile back that asked if the Canucks were the team to beat in the West. Looks like at least one Vancouver writer thinks that honour falls upon the Wings, at least from a Canucks perspective.

Edited by Chairman Maouth

Is it me or despite saying Detroit may be the team to beat in the West were there a whole bunch of subtle insults scattered in that article? ha typical Vancouver style

I think its just you. I thought the guy flat-out praised Detroit and he even stated he was grasping at straws to find a single weakness.

I think its just you. I thought the guy flat-out praised Detroit and he even stated he was grasping at straws to find a single weakness.

depends, walkers, geritol.....they can take their shots, but every other team is envious of our success and are once again saying we're the team to beat.

We don't rebuild, we reload.

depends, walkers, geritol.....they can take their shots, but every other team is envious of our success and are once again saying we're the team to beat.

That was an awesome quote by Robitaille. I remember watching that interview and I think his exact words were, "In Detroit they don't rebuild, they roload."

Perfect way of summarizing the sustained success of Detroit.

That was an awesome quote by Robitaille. I remember watching that interview and I think his exact words were, "In Detroit they don't rebuild, they roload."

I was listening to another Team Preview on NHL Home Ice (which I posted in the forums BTW) and I have to agree with a comment that was made. They said that they are still waiting for the next big influx of young talent. So far, that hasn't happened yet. Just like when Zetterberg and Dats came into the league, there hasn't been anything like that in the last 6 years. Sure, you aren't going to get star players every year, but you have to wonder who the young players are that are going to carry the torch for this team as the core ages. Just like when Yzerman and Shanny were getting old, they had Dats and then Zetterberg coming up. Now that Dats and Zetterberg are the scoring leaders, where is the young talent that will come in and dominate?

I know that Detroit will keep reloading for many years to come, but I worry about the quality of the youth in the club right now (or lack of).

I was listening to another Team Preview on NHL Home Ice (which I posted in the forums BTW) and I have to agree with a comment that was made. They said that they are still waiting for the next big influx of young talent. So far, that hasn't happened yet. Just like when Zetterberg and Dats came into the league, there hasn't been anything like that in the last 6 years. Sure, you aren't going to get star players every year, but you have to wonder who the young players are that are going to carry the torch for this team as the core ages. Just like when Yzerman and Shanny were getting old, they had Dats and then Zetterberg coming up. Now that Dats and Zetterberg are the scoring leaders, where is the young talent that will come in and dominate?

I know that Detroit will keep reloading for many years to come, but I worry about the quality of the youth in the club right now (or lack of).

And its a legitimate concern. While Hakan and Co. scout better than any other group, there doesn't seem to be those one or two guys in the system right now that will carry the load like Stevie did or like Z and D are doing now. I hesitate to throw Shanny in that example (as you did) simply because he was traded for, but your point is very much taken given were in a capped NHL for the foreseeable future.

My comment was in regard to the sustained success up to this point. Maintaining that level in the future had no bearing on that comment. At the same time (and even with the law of averages) its just simply so hard to see Kenny and Co. letting this team slip even to mediocrity. They may not be the favorite year-in and year-out, but as long as they have the talented brain-trust they currently do, and guys like Lids and now Z & D take pay-cuts to emphasize the good of the team mentality in Detroit, things are always going to be slightly easier for Detroit than other teams to stay near the top.

Gotta love Lucky Luc. Always felt bad for the way things turned out in his 2nd year here.

I am surprised it was that positive. Canadian media will never say anything positive about any team out side of Canada. For that matter usually very loyal to only their home team only no matter if they have a shot or not. Gotta love them though because of their passion for the game of hockey.

I am surprised it was that positive. Canadian media will never say anything positive about any team out side of Canada. For that matter usually very loyal to only their home team only no matter if they have a shot or not. Gotta love them though because of their passion for the game of hockey.

Im from Toronto and still live here and for the most part you're absolutely right. No matter how grim the upcoming season actually is for the Leafs the Toronto media hypes the team as if they're a lock for the Stanley Cup. That being said, I have to say that there are a handful of broadcasters that actually give the Red Wings a good/fair amount of respect. Entering the season and entering the playoffs over the last 2-3 years the Wings have finally knocked the B.S 'too old', 'Osgood is shakey' type comments most media personnel still give them from this handfull of reporters.

God, people need to forget the 'too old' thing. Every year we're too old, and every year we do it. Almost as long as I've been a fan of Detroit, we've been too old. Yet we've won more cups in the past 20 years than anyone else. Maybe everyone else is just too young?

That's part of the reason I posted the article. As a long-time member here but also as a Canucks fan, I've seen plenty of threads and comments where people say that the Canadian media never gives American teams a break. I also happen to agree with the article. The Wings may indeed be the team to beat in the West but the Canucks are no slouches either. They've addressed the weaknesses they showed in the last couple of playoffs very well.

As for the age thing, yes that argument is an easy one to make -- much like a lame fart joke, but at the same time a couple of posters here have suggested that the prospect pool is not as deep as it's been in the past and that the age factor could actually play a part in the not-too-distant future for the Wings. However, the article was still a pretty good endorsement of the Wings. I'm a little surprised that anyone would find fault with it when you consider that it comes from a journalist who covers a team that is expected to rival the Wings this season.

Im from Toronto and still live here and for the most part you're absolutely right. No matter how grim the upcoming season actually is for the Leafs the Toronto media hypes the team as if they're a lock for the Stanley Cup. That being said, I have to say that there are a handful of broadcasters that actually give the Red Wings a good/fair amount of respect. Entering the season and entering the playoffs over the last 2-3 years the Wings have finally knocked the B.S 'too old', 'Osgood is shakey' type comments most media personnel still give them from this handfull of reporters.

Nick Kypreos and Doug Mclean HATE the Red Wings, every time I used to watch Hockey Central before the playoff games started, they both picked the other team to win most of the time, and kept re-iterrating the fact that Detroit is getting too old and there going to move slower than the younger teams... blah blah blah. I hate Toronto Media, and hate the Leafs even more, there fans are terrible as well. Last year I went to the game at the ACC and majority of the fans in attendance were Red Wing fans (probably because Yzerman was inducted into HOF that night) but when Toronto was winning 5-2 and some Detroit fans were leaving, a bunch of Leaf fans stood up and asked them where they were going and why Detroit got trashed on by the Leafs... thank goodness the guy that was leaving was wearing a Jacket that had a picture of the Stanley Cup on the back and the year 2002, he just showed the back of his jacket to the guy and then pointed to that laughable 1967 Banner they have wilting away at the top of the arena. :hehe: That was my highlight of that night besides seeing Yzerman and co. get inducted.

wait..

get san jose into the cup final again?

I caught that too, perhaps the author was indicating that the moves were supposed to get them into the Finals just like previous moves had been made that were supposed to put the Sharks into the Finals.

After reading the whole article, it seems like this writer wanted to praise the Red Wings for the great team they will be, and chose to focus all of his criticism on the age factor, we've heard it all before.

Let's face it, we have veterans who are still playing at a very high level despite their advanced age. Lidstrom is still considered one of the best at his position and has only shown minimal signs of slowing down. Rafalski has always been an offensive defenseman, and as he showed in the Olympics, he can still get it done at 36. Modano at age 40 is still a world-class skater and his presence alone makes our 3rd line as potent offensively as most team's 2nd lines. Holmstrom continues to defy the odds and be the best at what he does despite the constant abuse his body takes. Salei was brought in to give a veteran, stay-at-home presence on our 3rd pair, and will not be expected to do more than that, except maybe throw a few big hits and bring out the nasty in Big E. Draper, let's be realistic, he will be our 13th forward most nights barring injury or a massive slump.

That's 5 players out of our expected regular roster (not counting Ozzie, who will be the backup but hopefully gets more ice time than last season) that could be realistically accused of needing Geritol or Depends. The rest of our team is made up of player who are either squarely in their prime (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Stuart, Franzen) and others who are entering their prime (Hudler, Filppula, Helm, Eaves), seems to me like a nice problem to have.

You have to keep in mind that is probably published for a Vancouver audience, it would be like a Lions beat writer writing an article about New England. I thought he was respectful while still getting some friendly digs in. Great read from an unexpected source.

"which frees up Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk to play together, these two virtually guaranteeing them a playoff spot before they drop the puck."

I suspect Gallagher has to grasp for straws, basically stating that the rest of the league is looking to hockeytown as a base for standards. Taking cheap shots like the "depends" is just attempt at humor to hide the thought of compensation to match up. Look out Sedin brothers.

The guy can't just make a point without the insults. That's too bad. Now if I ever go to Vancouver I will have to litter.

No need to risk a fine by littering. You can kill two birds with one stone just by showing up.

Edited by Chairman Maouth

Guest Heaten

And its a legitimate concern. While Hakan and Co. scout better than any other group, there doesn't seem to be those one or two guys in the system right now that will carry the load like Stevie did or like Z and D are doing now. I hesitate to throw Shanny in that example (as you did) simply because he was traded for, but your point is very much taken given were in a capped NHL for the foreseeable future.

My comment was in regard to the sustained success up to this point. Maintaining that level in the future had no bearing on that comment. At the same time (and even with the law of averages) its just simply so hard to see Kenny and Co. letting this team slip even to mediocrity. They may not be the favorite year-in and year-out, but as long as they have the talented brain-trust they currently do, and guys like Lids and now Z & D take pay-cuts to emphasize the good of the team mentality in Detroit, things are always going to be slightly easier for Detroit than other teams to stay near the top.

Hard to use that as an example when nobody (outside of the scouting staff) even knew who Dats, Zetterberg and Franzen were in 2002 / 03. Who's to say there isn't a couple of studs in the works that develop into stars in the near future? Considering Hakan and Co's success record with late picks, it's easy to be optimistic.

AGREED :siren:

Edited by Rockitman