#21 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:04 PM

:lol: Good one!

esteef

ok the mods tell us to play nice then the OP posts some junk like that......
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#22 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:05 PM

Easy targets aren't fun to hit.

#23 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:05 PM

Forgive the OP, for he knows not what he types.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#24 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

"I'd love to see the Wings get revenge and beat the Pens in the Finals, but I just don't see it. The Pens, in my opinion, are not good enough to make it that far right now. The moves they made did not upgrade their defense, Fleury is still very inconsistent and the Pens wings are beyond terrible."

Signing Zbynek Michalek and Paul Martin didn't upgrade our D? We have Martin, Orpik, Michalek, Letang, Goligoski, Lovejoy (or veteran D-man)

Some would argue that's a top 3 D in the league. The Pens will run through the league this year and most likely win the president's trophy.

As for wingers --- Kunitz wasn't healthy at all last year. That really hurt in opening up space for Master Crosby. Malkin is switching to Winger and Staal (Not Stall, as so many of you say) is centering him. I don't see the Wings pulling through this year, because they won't be able to get past Chicago.

Pens v Hawks.

You heard it here.

that was the most overt attempt at trolling this board I've seen in a long time. Pumping both the Hawks and Pens over the Wings with barely a shred of logic is just funny.

Personally, I think Pittsburgh will be really good again this year and they very well may make it to the finals. Michalek and Martin are great additions but if you think their PP will be as good without Gonchar you have another thing coming. Comrie is soft but he'll get you 15 goals or so - hopefully 20 for your sake. Chicago will still be good and normally I don't really buy the whole Cup Hangover crap but with such a young core of players (who love to party) it's actually a distinct possibility with this team. They'll get going though. But if you want to spit out teams in the West that will make it tough for the Wings (at this juncture of the year) you should be talking about Vancouver as on paper they're the team who looks to have improved the most significantly. They actually added to their roster - not subtracted (as the Hawks have).
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#25 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

Ignorance doesn't mean he's not playing nice. :)

I don't think there are many teams that couldn't get past Chicago in the playoffs. They aren't cellar dwellers, but no way are they making it to the Conference Final this year.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#26 Slave

Slave

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

Wings over Caps in 6

Caps should still dominate the eastern conference, in my mind they are like the mid 90's wings, full of talent but just unlucky in april, after blowing a 3-1 series lead last year and having all summer to stew over it, I just can't see them bowing out that early again.

The Wings are a given I honestly believe they ahve what it takes if they stay healthy, they have a roster that for the most part has played together long enough to not need time to gell so they should be firing on all cylinders for the majority of the season. But to be honest, if the Wing roster was only 4 players I would still pick them to come out of the west, That is how much faith I have in the boys.

If I had to pick another team it would be either the Canucks or Kings

#27 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

"I'd love to see the Wings get revenge and beat the Pens in the Finals, but I just don't see it. The Pens, in my opinion, are not good enough to make it that far right now. The moves they made did not upgrade their defense, Fleury is still very inconsistent and the Pens wings are beyond terrible."

Signing Zbynek Michalek and Paul Martin didn't upgrade our D? We have Martin, Orpik, Michalek, Letang, Goligoski, Lovejoy (or veteran D-man)

Some would argue that's a top 3 D in the league. The Pens will run through the league this year and most likely win the president's trophy.

As for wingers --- Kunitz wasn't healthy at all last year. That really hurt in opening up space for Master Crosby. Malkin is switching to Winger and Staal (Not Stall, as so many of you say) is centering him. I don't see the Wings pulling through this year, because they won't be able to get past Chicago.

Pens v Hawks.

You heard it here.

Yeah, "running through the league" is real tough in that brutal Eastern Conference.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#28 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:40 PM

The east is often much weaker than the West to begin with, stemming from the west being more defensively sound. The east scores a lot though.

As for my ideas. I believe Detroit will face Vancouver to make it to the finals, which will be a very good series. Vancouver is definitely shaping up to be a good team, they just need a little extra and they're there.

As far as the east, I can see a few teams being a bit surprising, notably, Tampa Bay could very well make the playoffs. I don't believe they'll go too far yet though. I have a feeling from the East, Philly could make another nice run, depending on goaltending, as well as Pitt, or possibly Boston. I don't see the Caps making it. They have a talented team, but they need a coaching change.

I don't like making final predictions, but I'd think Detroit beats Vancouver in 6, and takes down Philly in 6 as well.

#29 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

It's fun to joke around ---- but I prefer to read some serious responses.

Yea 55fan smarten up! :hehe:

I think the Wings are the best team in the West again and will be back in the final. While all the other big guns in the Conference either lost players or stayed with who they had, we added. Plus our guys will be healthier than last year.

The East is tough, the teams are a little more even over there than the West. I'll say the Flyers win the East.

In a Wings-Flyers final, I'm taking Detroit!

Edit: Vancouver may win the West in the Regular Season, but when it comes to the playoffs, they're Vancouver...

Edited by Barrie, 10 September 2010 - 02:25 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#30 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

The Pens will run through the league this year and most likely win the president's trophy.

No way, the East is sooo even, they'll beat up each other.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#31 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

I think we'll lose to Vancouver in WCF. Then Bruins will take the cup in 6 games.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#32 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

Wings over Capitals

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#33 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

The Red Wings have to be the early favorite to come out of the West, of all of the playoff teams from last year, they have done the most (IMO) to improve what was already a deep team, and there have not been any notable subtractions.

Next, I have Vancouver, made some great acquisitions, their losses have been adequately replaced and even upgraded in some respects, but they are still a question mark because of Luongo, though they could make the WCF if he gets hot.

San Jose will still win their division, but they have taken a big gamble replacing Nabakov with the tandem of Niemi/Niittymaki, and while Nabakov was notorious for letting them down in the playoffs, I can't see either of his replacements being able to equal his stellar regular season play, so it is going to be a much closer race this year in the Pacific, with Phoenix and LA likely both making the playoffs out of their division.

In the East, Pittsburgh will still be the favorites because of their two-man show, and their much deeper blue line, but they will suffer for the loss of Gonchar, especially on the PP, and Crosby will have to have another 50 goal season with no good wingers in order for them to win their division, but you can never count them out when it comes to playoffs, as others have said they have the most postseason experience over the past 5 years and that counts for a lot.

Washington will once again dominate their weak division, and likely contend for the President's Trophy again, but until Bruce Boudreau learns how to coach in the playoffs, they will never be able to reach the next level that they are capable of talent-wise.

Boston remains the team to beat in their division, but Montreal could still win it, they get a lot more for their money out of their roster than I expected.

My predictions:

East
1) Washington
2) Boston
3) Pittsburgh
4) New Jersey
5) Montreal
6) Tampa Bay
7) Buffalo
8) Philadelphia

West
1) Detroit
2) Vancouver
3) San Jose
4) Los Angeles
5) Chicago
6) Phoenix
7) St. Louis
8) Calgary

Wings over Boston in 6

Edited by McAwesome, 10 September 2010 - 02:35 PM.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#34 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

As for wingers --- Kunitz wasn't healthy at all last year.

Just because they spent a lot of money on defense, doesn't mean they'll be better. I don't see Michalek being any better than Scuderi or Eaton. Martin is NOT as good as Gonchar offensively and about the same defensively. So where's the upgrade? They would have been much better off getting Volchenkov and Hamhuis. Each cost $4.5 mil, so $9 mil for those two. The exact same amount they paid for Martin and Michalek.

Kunitz is a 50 point player when healthy. Not exactly what you want on your top line. The Pens won't win their division, much less the freakin Presidents Trophy. :lol:

#35 best poster in LGW history

best poster in LGW history

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:59 PM

Martin is NOT as good as Gonchar offensively and about the same defensively.

are you serious with this garbage? where's the -1 when you need it...

#36 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:03 PM

"Signing Zbynek Michalek and Paul Martin didn't upgrade our D? We have Martin, Orpik, Michalek, Letang, Goligoski, Lovejoy (or veteran D-man)Some would argue that's a top 3 D in the league."

But you lost Gonchar, basically replaced by Martin (argueably) so you only really added Michalek.

I took a look at the 'goals against' stats from last year, was a bit suprised by what I seen. The teams with the better goalies let in the fewest goals, not necessarily the best D-man. NJ and BOS were 1-2, and outside of Martin and Chara, there ain't much to look at. I think Fluery is going to have much more to say about how far you go than Michalek. And Fluery isn't exactly Mr. Dependable.

"The Pens will run through the league this year and most likely win the president's trophy."

This is just ignorant. You have a chance. At least not any better chance than, Washington, Detroit, and maybe even San Jose.

"As for wingers --- Kunitz wasn't healthy at all last year. That really hurt in opening up space for Master Crosby. Malkin is switching to Winger and Staal (Not Stall, as so many of you say) is centering him."

No excuses...you have no wingers of note, period. If Staal isn't on your third line, you've lost a lot of depth. Your bottom two lines will look more like Chicago's, thin, to say the least. Tangradi barely put up a Ryan Malone-esque season...but in the AHL. You had to dip from the former NYI/EDM cast-off bin again in Comrie in hopes that he adds anything to your team.

"I don't see the Wings pulling through this year, because they won't be able to get past Chicago. Pens v Hawks. You heard it here"

You don't see it because your looking through Penguin eyes. Crosby goggles. The Hawks are Pittsburgh-West (stink for 12 years, pile up picks, win, lose a ton of depth, think that they're the best thing since sliced bread). I wouldn't be suprised if Chicago doesn't even make the playoffs. The Penguins almost didn't in '09 (after losing major pieces) and it took major trades and a coaching change to get them there.

The Wings have a better defence than either of Chicago or Pittsburgh. They are deeper on offence than both teams. They are more experianced than both teams. They have better coaching than both teams.

No contest. The only reason I even pick Pittsburgh to contend is their experiance and the fact that the East is weak.

#37 Scrosby87

Scrosby87

Prospect

• 31 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

Pens D is significantly better than last year. Martin is 9 years younger and 10x better on D that Gonchar (maybe ever was). Gonchar's run has come to an end and Shero wisely chose to go in another direction (The Wings made a mistake bringing back Lidstrom for 6.2 mill, because he isn't worth it anymore.

Though I think Detroit has a great team, they are too inconsistent (I think because of how old they are getting). They put up 7 goals in a playoff game, then they can't find the back of the net in the next game. It will be tough to take on Chicago... In a 7 games series only two teams really match up against them (pens and wings)

Knock the pens all you want i'm just saying--- this ISN'T the detroit team from 3 years ago. (thank god because that was a scary fu***** team)

The wings D isn't EVEN CLOSE to the Pens D--- take your aging Rafalski's and Lidstrom--- Who in their right minds could argue that Detroit's D is better than Pittsburghs? This isn't 2007-08

#38 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

Pens D is significantly better than last year. Martin is 9 years younger and 10x better on D that Gonchar (maybe ever was). Gonchar's run has come to an end and Shero wisely chose to go in another direction (The Wings made a mistake bringing back Lidstrom for 6.2 mill, because he isn't worth it anymore.

Though I think Detroit has a great team, they are too inconsistent (I think because of how old they are getting). They put up 7 goals in a playoff game, then they can't find the back of the net in the next game. It will be tough to take on Chicago... In a 7 games series only two teams really match up against them (pens and wings)

Knock the pens all you want i'm just saying--- this ISN'T the detroit team from 3 years ago. (thank god because that was a scary fu***** team)

The wings D isn't EVEN CLOSE to the Pens D--- take your aging Rafalski's and Lidstrom--- Who in their right minds could argue that Detroit's D is better than Pittsburghs? This isn't 2007-08

Really? And this isn't trolling? Whatever dude...

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#39 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

are you serious with this garbage? where's the -1 when you need it...

yea im sure we had some crying about getting - on their posts. Like it meant anything. hahahahahaha

Really? And this isn't trolling? Whatever dude...

esteef

but but but crosby hit a home run!!!
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#40 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:34 PM

pens got their revenge on the wings, wings look to return the favor. Wings over pens in 5
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors