• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scrosby87

Stanley Cup Predictions

Rate this topic

Wings over Caps in 6

Caps should still dominate the eastern conference, in my mind they are like the mid 90's wings, full of talent but just unlucky in april, after blowing a 3-1 series lead last year and having all summer to stew over it, I just can't see them bowing out that early again.

The Wings are a given I honestly believe they ahve what it takes if they stay healthy, they have a roster that for the most part has played together long enough to not need time to gell so they should be firing on all cylinders for the majority of the season. But to be honest, if the Wing roster was only 4 players I would still pick them to come out of the west, That is how much faith I have in the boys.

If I had to pick another team it would be either the Canucks or Kings

"I'd love to see the Wings get revenge and beat the Pens in the Finals, but I just don't see it. The Pens, in my opinion, are not good enough to make it that far right now. The moves they made did not upgrade their defense, Fleury is still very inconsistent and the Pens wings are beyond terrible."

Signing Zbynek Michalek and Paul Martin didn't upgrade our D? We have Martin, Orpik, Michalek, Letang, Goligoski, Lovejoy (or veteran D-man)

Some would argue that's a top 3 D in the league. The Pens will run through the league this year and most likely win the president's trophy.

As for wingers --- Kunitz wasn't healthy at all last year. That really hurt in opening up space for Master Crosby. Malkin is switching to Winger and Staal (Not Stall, as so many of you say) is centering him. I don't see the Wings pulling through this year, because they won't be able to get past Chicago.

Pens v Hawks.

You heard it here.

Yeah, "running through the league" is real tough in that brutal Eastern Conference.

The east is often much weaker than the West to begin with, stemming from the west being more defensively sound. The east scores a lot though.

As for my ideas. I believe Detroit will face Vancouver to make it to the finals, which will be a very good series. Vancouver is definitely shaping up to be a good team, they just need a little extra and they're there.

As far as the east, I can see a few teams being a bit surprising, notably, Tampa Bay could very well make the playoffs. I don't believe they'll go too far yet though. I have a feeling from the East, Philly could make another nice run, depending on goaltending, as well as Pitt, or possibly Boston. I don't see the Caps making it. They have a talented team, but they need a coaching change.

I don't like making final predictions, but I'd think Detroit beats Vancouver in 6, and takes down Philly in 6 as well.

It's fun to joke around ---- but I prefer to read some serious responses.

Yea 55fan smarten up! :hehe:

I think the Wings are the best team in the West again and will be back in the final. While all the other big guns in the Conference either lost players or stayed with who they had, we added. Plus our guys will be healthier than last year.

The East is tough, the teams are a little more even over there than the West. I'll say the Flyers win the East.

In a Wings-Flyers final, I'm taking Detroit!

Edit: Vancouver may win the West in the Regular Season, but when it comes to the playoffs, they're Vancouver...

Edited by Barrie

The Red Wings have to be the early favorite to come out of the West, of all of the playoff teams from last year, they have done the most (IMO) to improve what was already a deep team, and there have not been any notable subtractions.

Next, I have Vancouver, made some great acquisitions, their losses have been adequately replaced and even upgraded in some respects, but they are still a question mark because of Luongo, though they could make the WCF if he gets hot.

San Jose will still win their division, but they have taken a big gamble replacing Nabakov with the tandem of Niemi/Niittymaki, and while Nabakov was notorious for letting them down in the playoffs, I can't see either of his replacements being able to equal his stellar regular season play, so it is going to be a much closer race this year in the Pacific, with Phoenix and LA likely both making the playoffs out of their division.

In the East, Pittsburgh will still be the favorites because of their two-man show, and their much deeper blue line, but they will suffer for the loss of Gonchar, especially on the PP, and Crosby will have to have another 50 goal season with no good wingers in order for them to win their division, but you can never count them out when it comes to playoffs, as others have said they have the most postseason experience over the past 5 years and that counts for a lot.

Washington will once again dominate their weak division, and likely contend for the President's Trophy again, but until Bruce Boudreau learns how to coach in the playoffs, they will never be able to reach the next level that they are capable of talent-wise.

Boston remains the team to beat in their division, but Montreal could still win it, they get a lot more for their money out of their roster than I expected.

My predictions:

East

1) Washington

2) Boston

3) Pittsburgh

4) New Jersey

5) Montreal

6) Tampa Bay

7) Buffalo

8) Philadelphia

West

1) Detroit

2) Vancouver

3) San Jose

4) Los Angeles

5) Chicago

6) Phoenix

7) St. Louis

8) Calgary

Wings over Boston in 6

Edited by McAwesome

Signing Zbynek Michalek and Paul Martin didn't upgrade our D? We have Martin, Orpik, Michalek, Letang, Goligoski, Lovejoy (or veteran D-man)

As for wingers --- Kunitz wasn't healthy at all last year.

Just because they spent a lot of money on defense, doesn't mean they'll be better. I don't see Michalek being any better than Scuderi or Eaton. Martin is NOT as good as Gonchar offensively and about the same defensively. So where's the upgrade? They would have been much better off getting Volchenkov and Hamhuis. Each cost $4.5 mil, so $9 mil for those two. The exact same amount they paid for Martin and Michalek.

Kunitz is a 50 point player when healthy. Not exactly what you want on your top line. The Pens won't win their division, much less the freakin Presidents Trophy. :lol:

Guest best poster in LGW history

Martin is NOT as good as Gonchar offensively and about the same defensively.

are you serious with this garbage? where's the -1 when you need it...

"Signing Zbynek Michalek and Paul Martin didn't upgrade our D? We have Martin, Orpik, Michalek, Letang, Goligoski, Lovejoy (or veteran D-man)Some would argue that's a top 3 D in the league."

But you lost Gonchar, basically replaced by Martin (argueably) so you only really added Michalek.

I took a look at the 'goals against' stats from last year, was a bit suprised by what I seen. The teams with the better goalies let in the fewest goals, not necessarily the best D-man. NJ and BOS were 1-2, and outside of Martin and Chara, there ain't much to look at. I think Fluery is going to have much more to say about how far you go than Michalek. And Fluery isn't exactly Mr. Dependable.

"The Pens will run through the league this year and most likely win the president's trophy."

This is just ignorant. You have a chance. At least not any better chance than, Washington, Detroit, and maybe even San Jose.

"As for wingers --- Kunitz wasn't healthy at all last year. That really hurt in opening up space for Master Crosby. Malkin is switching to Winger and Staal (Not Stall, as so many of you say) is centering him."

No excuses...you have no wingers of note, period. If Staal isn't on your third line, you've lost a lot of depth. Your bottom two lines will look more like Chicago's, thin, to say the least. Tangradi barely put up a Ryan Malone-esque season...but in the AHL. You had to dip from the former NYI/EDM cast-off bin again in Comrie in hopes that he adds anything to your team.

"I don't see the Wings pulling through this year, because they won't be able to get past Chicago. Pens v Hawks. You heard it here"

You don't see it because your looking through Penguin eyes. Crosby goggles. The Hawks are Pittsburgh-West (stink for 12 years, pile up picks, win, lose a ton of depth, think that they're the best thing since sliced bread). I wouldn't be suprised if Chicago doesn't even make the playoffs. The Penguins almost didn't in '09 (after losing major pieces) and it took major trades and a coaching change to get them there.

The Wings have a better defence than either of Chicago or Pittsburgh. They are deeper on offence than both teams. They are more experianced than both teams. They have better coaching than both teams.

No contest. The only reason I even pick Pittsburgh to contend is their experiance and the fact that the East is weak.

Guest Scrosby87

Pens D is significantly better than last year. Martin is 9 years younger and 10x better on D that Gonchar (maybe ever was). Gonchar's run has come to an end and Shero wisely chose to go in another direction (The Wings made a mistake bringing back Lidstrom for 6.2 mill, because he isn't worth it anymore.

Though I think Detroit has a great team, they are too inconsistent (I think because of how old they are getting). They put up 7 goals in a playoff game, then they can't find the back of the net in the next game. It will be tough to take on Chicago... In a 7 games series only two teams really match up against them (pens and wings)

Knock the pens all you want i'm just saying--- this ISN'T the detroit team from 3 years ago. (thank god because that was a scary fu***** team)

The wings D isn't EVEN CLOSE to the Pens D--- take your aging Rafalski's and Lidstrom--- Who in their right minds could argue that Detroit's D is better than Pittsburghs? This isn't 2007-08

Pens D is significantly better than last year. Martin is 9 years younger and 10x better on D that Gonchar (maybe ever was). Gonchar's run has come to an end and Shero wisely chose to go in another direction (The Wings made a mistake bringing back Lidstrom for 6.2 mill, because he isn't worth it anymore.

Though I think Detroit has a great team, they are too inconsistent (I think because of how old they are getting). They put up 7 goals in a playoff game, then they can't find the back of the net in the next game. It will be tough to take on Chicago... In a 7 games series only two teams really match up against them (pens and wings)

Knock the pens all you want i'm just saying--- this ISN'T the detroit team from 3 years ago. (thank god because that was a scary fu***** team)

The wings D isn't EVEN CLOSE to the Pens D--- take your aging Rafalski's and Lidstrom--- Who in their right minds could argue that Detroit's D is better than Pittsburghs? This isn't 2007-08

Really? And this isn't trolling? Whatever dude...

esteef

They put up 7 goals in a playoff game, then they can't find the back of the net in the next game.

Does this really pass as valid criticism? A variance in scoring between one game and the next? I hate to be that guy that says "you don't know hockey," but you have to watch that or just about any sport for about five minutes to understand that scores will vary, often wildly, between games.

However these "inconsistent" Red Wings have found a kindred spirit in a team I believe you hold dear. Let me direct you to the case of Montreal v. Pittsburgh, wherein the Pens scored six goals in the first game but then required the next four games combined to reach that total. Perhaps their age is catching up with them -- 23 is the new 40.

Umm... Martin is not better than Gonchar. Not at all. The wings made a mistake bringing back Lidstrom? The greatest defensemen of all time? How is he not worth it anymore? He was 4th in Norris voting last year, and only because of a slow start and a depleted team did his point totals (minorly) drop.

No one is knocking the pens here. We're knocking your absurdly ignorant attempt at discussion in which you have neglected logic and facts every step of the way.

Literally every point you have posted thus far is the opposite of the truth. It seems like you have never watched a hockey game in your life as you have yet to post a single sentence that even resembles intelligent thought.

By the way, the Wings team last year that was soooo old and not even close to as good as the pens.... actually HAD MORE POINTS AT THE END OF THE SEASON than your Pens did.

Take off the goggles man, you're embarrassing yourself.

Guest Stolberg

Martin is definitely better than Gonchar defensively. Obviously not on the offensive end, though.

Guest best poster in LGW history

Who in their right minds could argue that Detroit's D is better than Pittsburghs? This isn't 2007-08

anyone that's not a pens fan? go ask fans of any other team.

the wings have 3 defenseman capable of putting up 50+ pts. no one on the pens d has ever scored more than 37 pts. hell, lidstrom had an "off" year last year and still had 49, all while being way better defensively than anyone on the pens.

Pens D is significantly better than last year. Martin is 9 years younger and 10x better on D that Gonchar (maybe ever was). Gonchar's run has come to an end and Shero wisely chose to go in another direction

Wow, are you in for a rude awakening when this "significantly better" defense does about as good as it did last year. Gonchar missed 20 games last year and was 2nd in powerplay assists. While he was with the Pens, he was consistently near the top for powerplay points in the league. Now he's going to be replaced by a guy that never got more than 37 points in a season? As for his defense... if you hated the way Ryan Whitney played defense, and most Pens fans did, you're not going to be too big on Martin either.

Knock the pens all you want i'm just saying--- this ISN'T the detroit team from 3 years ago.

I'm not really "knocking the Pens", I just think Shero made a mistake this offseason. The Pens blew $9 mil and have pretty much the same defense as last year talent wise and still don't have any good wingers for their two franchise centers. Yeah, Staal's moving up, but that takes away from their depth, which is important when you want to have a long playoff run. You're right about one thing, its not the same Wings team it was three years ago, its better.

The wings D isn't EVEN CLOSE to the Pens D--- take your aging Rafalski's and Lidstrom--- Who in their right minds could argue that Detroit's D is better than Pittsburghs?

Ummm, me and anyone that isn't a Pens homer would argue this. lol Look, I'm glad you have a lot of confidence in your team and you're looking forward to the season and all, but you're going way overboard. I'll take an aging Rafalski and Lidstrom over anyone Pittsburgh has anyday.

That makes me laugh... :D

Are you serious, or do you just try to provoke anyone here on the board???

Wings over Penguins, 4-2

If Howard isn't the second coming of Steve Mason, I think we're golden. We're much deeper than last year, with rest, and hopefully some passion after an early exit. This team is essentially the team that won the Cup in '08, except the younger players of that team are developed.

I can't stand the Penguins but they are obviously talented, and more importantly, I believe they have the most playoff experiance of anyone in their Conferance the last 5 years. Experiance wise, they're the Wings of the East.

The Pens lost Gonchar, the Sharks lost Blake and Nabaokov. The Hawks lost everybody except their CORE. The Ducks lost Neidemeir.

Teams to beat

Wings

Canucks

Caps

Flyers

Caps and Flyers don't have the goaltending. The 2 year reign of crappy goaltenders winning the Cup will end this year. Howard or Luongo are my picks.

The wings D isn't EVEN CLOSE to the Pens D--- take your aging Rafalski's and Lidstrom--- Who in their right minds could argue that Detroit's D is better than Pittsburghs?

Schwhat??!?!

Ummm, me and anyone that isn't a Pens homer would argue this. lol Look, I'm glad you have a lot of confidence in your team and you're looking forward to the season and all, but you're going way overboard. I'll take an aging Rafalski and Lidstrom over anyone Pittsburgh has anyday.

Thank You, xtrememachine1!!! Sanity and intelligent response at last.

Umm... Martin is not better than Gonchar. Not at all. The wings made a mistake bringing back Lidstrom? The greatest defensemen of all time? How is he not worth it anymore? He was 4th in Norris voting last year, and only because of a slow start and a depleted team did his point totals (minorly) drop.

No one is knocking the pens here. We're knocking your absurdly ignorant attempt at discussion in which you have neglected logic and facts every step of the way.

Literally every point you have posted thus far is the opposite of the truth. It seems like you have never watched a hockey game in your life as you have yet to post a single sentence that even resembles intelligent thought.

By the way, the Wings team last year that was soooo old and not even close to as good as the pens.... actually HAD MORE POINTS AT THE END OF THE SEASON than your Pens did.

Take off the goggles man, you're embarrassing yourself.