• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scrosby87

Stanley Cup Predictions

Rate this topic

(The Wings made a mistake bringing back Lidstrom for 6.2 mill, because he isn't worth it anymore.

Lidstrom hardly 'lost a step' (as so many say) last year. He was still extremely solid and scored closed to 50 points, all while playing for a team that was essentially Grand Rapids for half the year.

Though I think Detroit has a great team, they are too inconsistent (I think because of how old they are getting). They put up 7 goals in a playoff game, then they can't find the back of the net in the next game.

To look at two different games is silly. Things like that happen all the time. If you look back at any of the teams in last years playoffs, you'll probably find that most of them had a high scoring game, followed by at least one low scoring game.

Detroit has been the model for consistency for a long time. Age has nothing to do with it. We have about 5 players who are old, the rest are in their prime, or are young players, just entering their prime.

It will be tough to take on Chicago... In a 7 games series only two teams really match up against them (pens and wings)

Have you missed the massive list of players who Chicago lost? They lost about 7 players. Sure, most were bottom liners, but the fact is, you don't win a cup with just 2 lines. You need to have four lines, all working hard. Chicago will make the playoffs, but they won't make it past the second round (if they make it past the first) Take this from one of the few people on here who actually LIKE the Hawks as a team (I hate 90% of their fans though)

Knock the pens all you want i'm just saying--- this ISN'T the detroit team from 3 years ago. (thank god because that was a scary fu***** team)

There aren't a whole lot of different players from that team from 3 years ago.

Goalies:

07/08 - Osgood/Hasek (Howard was #3)

10/11 - Howard/Osgood

Not much change there. Hasek didn't even play in the playoffs, and Howard showed last year he has the potential to be amazing. Much better than Fleury...

Defense:

07/08 - Lilja, Quincey, Lidstrom, Meech, Lebda, Stuart, Chelios, Rafalski, Stafford, Kindl, Ericsson, Kronwall

10/11 - Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall, Ericsson, Salei, Kindl

Again, not much difference. Most of the players we had in 08 that are gone, either were not very good (Meech, Lebda and Quincey at the time), old (Chelios). I don't even KNOW who Stafford is, so I doubt he was very important at all.

Offense:

07/08 - Abdelkader, Cleary, Drake, Maltby, Downey, McCarty, Hudler, Samuelsson, Helm, Kopecky, Franzen, Holmstrom, Datsyuk, Draper, Zetterberg, Ritola, Hartigan, Filppula

10/11 - Abdelkader, Andersson, Bertuzzi, Callahan, Cleary, Coetzee, Datsyuk, Draper, Eaves, I.Filppula, V.Filppula, Franzen, Helm, Holmstrom, Hudler, Johnson, Maltby, Miller, Minard, Modano, Owens, Ritola, Tardif, Tatar, Zetterberg

This year's lineup includes a few new faces. Many of whom I know nothing about, and includes many GR prospects who won't see much playing time. The only real differences are:

Gone - Drake, Downey, McCarty, Samuelsson, Kopecky, Hartigan

Come - Bertuzzi, Eaves, Miller, Modano

Aside from the fighters, we haven't lost much. Modano is at least as good as Drake was, Eaves/Miller are both very good PKer's who also add more offense than any of the players except Sammy, and Bert is a solid player. So, aside from Sammy, we haven't lost anyone who hasn't been replaced, OR upgraded.

You're very right. We're not the 07/08 Wings. We're much, MUCH better. I'd say the only Wings line-up that was better would be the 02 lineup, but in the salary cap days, NO team has had 3 scoring lines as good as this years team. Our third line is better than many team's second lines.

The wings D isn't EVEN CLOSE to the Pens D--- take your aging Rafalski's and Lidstrom--- Who in their right minds could argue that Detroit's D is better than Pittsburghs? This isn't 2007-08

I'd say everyone in the world would take Lidstrom alone over the entire Pen's D core. Lidstrom has been the most dominant defensemen in recent history, and one of the best ever. Rafalski is still a top-notch offensive D-man. Many knock him for his defensive zone play, but that was never his strength. He showed at the Olympics, and during our post-olympic run that he still has what it takes to play. Add on top of that Stuart and Kronwall, who are as good or better than some other teams first pairing.

Salei and E are a bit of a question mark, especially Ericsson. The guy has potential to be a very, very good d-man, top 4 material for sure, he just has to get going. We've seen him at his best before, and he was amazing. Last year was a let down, sure, but it was his real rookie year. He's only getting better.

I like the moves the Pens have made on D, but they still need to find a winger for Crosby, imo. I kind of want Malkin to move up to the Wing on the first line and let Staal center the second line with Dupuis and Cooke. I'm not sure the Pens depth will allow that, though.

The biggest weakness for both the Wings and the Pens I believe is in net. Howard is going into the cursed sophomore year and has perhaps the worst rebound control for a 1 goalie in the league, whereas with MAF you never know who's going to be in net: a legit 1 goalie, or someone who will let in 3 fluky goals. Both teams are probably among the favorites to get to the finals, but the favorites rarely end up getting that far.

By the way, have you been following the Chicago exodus this summer? I'm not sure how to interpret "I don't see the Wings pulling through this year, because they won't be able to get past Chicago. " or "Pens vs Hawks". Last time I checked Chicago packed up and moved to Atlanta.

Well done!

Wings over caps 4-2

There aren't a whole lot of different players from that team from 3 years ago.

Goalies:

07/08 - Osgood/Hasek (Howard was #3)

10/11 - Howard/Osgood

Not much change there. Hasek didn't even play in the playoffs, and Howard showed last year he has the potential to be amazing. Much better than Fleury...

While I agree with you completely, Hasek DID starts game 1 and 2 against Nashville in the playoffs before being replaced by Osgood.

Wings vs...oh hell, the Caps, I guess.

West: I think the Canucks and Kings look pretty good, but the Canucks are chokers and the Kings lack offense. If LA had signed Kovalchuk, I'd say there would be a darn good chance it'd be between us and them in the WCF, but they're still missing a piece or two of the puzzle, if you ask me. The Sharks...umm, well, they did get further last year than in the past, so maybe they're learning? I hope not, heh. I may just be a homer, but I think we've got a heck of a chance this year.

East: Shoot, I don't know. What I want to see is the Caps break out and git-r-done this year, but who knows if it'll happen. The Pens look decent, and I may be nuts, but I think the Bruins look good. Yeah, they royally screwed up last year, but (hopefully!) that's a once-in-a-lifetime deal, and they still have most of the same guys this year, right? It could happen! I agree with somebody above that goaltending is going to bury the Flyers. Tampa Bay is my dark horse.

While I agree with you completely, Hasek DID starts game 1 and 2 against Nashville in the playoffs before being replaced by Osgood.

First 4 games actually.

I like the Pens defense, but I don't think they have enough offense. Crosby and Malkin can only make up so much, unless Martin and Michalek show something or Goligoski makes a huge stride, that will cause problems for them. No one in the East really stands out though, so I wouldn't be shocked if they made the Finals. Philly, Boston, Buffalo, Washington, and New Jersey could all make noise. But I'll say Washington finally puts it together (maybe with a new coach) and takes the East.

In the West, Detroit, San Jose, Vancouver, and Chicago (yeah, yeah... exodus and all, still a very good team) are easily the best teams (maybe top 4 in the league too). Phoenix, Colorado, and LA were over achievers last year, and I'm not convinced they could repeat that (especially not Phoenix, losing Lombardi and Michalek), though none of the other teams really stand out either. Nashville, Calgary, St.Louis, Minnesota, Anaheim...none of them look like contenders to me. As a homer, I have to pick the Wings. Otherwise Canucks.

I like the moves the Pens have made on D, but they still need to find a winger for Crosby, imo. I kind of want Malkin to move up to the Wing on the first line and let Staal center the second line with Dupuis and Cooke. I'm not sure the Pens depth will allow that, though.

The biggest weakness for both the Wings and the Pens I believe is in net. Howard is going into the cursed sophomore year and has perhaps the worst rebound control for a 1 goalie in the league, whereas with MAF you never know who's going to be in net: a legit 1 goalie, or someone who will let in 3 fluky goals. Both teams are probably among the favorites to get to the finals, but the favorites rarely end up getting that far.

By the way, have you been following the Chicago exodus this summer? I'm not sure how to interpret "I don't see the Wings pulling through this year, because they won't be able to get past Chicago. " or "Pens vs Hawks". Last time I checked Chicago packed up and moved to Atlanta.

Not to worry about Fleury. He'll be fine. Bettman has made sure all thresholds are lowered and lighted from all locker rooms to the ice.

First 4 games actually.

I like the Pens defense, but I don't think they have enough offense. Crosby and Malkin can only make up so much, unless Martin and Michalek show something or Goligoski makes a huge stride, that will cause problems for them. No one in the East really stands out though, so I wouldn't be shocked if they made the Finals. Philly, Boston, Buffalo, Washington, and New Jersey could all make noise. But I'll say Washington finally puts it together (maybe with a new coach) and takes the East.

In the West, Detroit, San Jose, Vancouver, and Chicago (yeah, yeah... exodus and all, still a very good team) are easily the best teams (maybe top 4 in the league too). Phoenix, Colorado, and LA were over achievers last year, and I'm not convinced they could repeat that (especially not Phoenix, losing Lombardi and Michalek), though none of the other teams really stand out either. Nashville, Calgary, St.Louis, Minnesota, Anaheim...none of them look like contenders to me. As a homer, I have to pick the Wings. Otherwise Canucks.

LA improved a lot over the season and off season, I don't see how they were over achievers last year, and they're only going to be better this year. I'd say LA has a much deadlier team than Chicago does any day. I agree about Phoenix and Colorado however.

Guest ChicagoMan

:lol: Good one!

esteef

Good one? Chicago is light years ahead of Detroit in terms of talent at the forward position. Not to mention their defense is easily the best top 4 in the league. No other team matches Keith-Seabrook and Hjalmarsson is easily a top 2 d-man on any other team. Good Luck beating the new power of the NHL.

Good one? Chicago is light years ahead of Detroit in terms of talent at the forward position. Not to mention their defense is easily the best top 4 in the league. No other team matches Keith-Seabrook and Hjalmarsson is easily a top 2 d-man on any other team. Good Luck beating the new power of the NHL.

Lmao, here we go again.

Just let the whiny bandwagon fans have their fun.

Many of us Wings fans have been around long enough to know that you have to do your research from another team's perspective and THEN form an opinion as opposed to only knowing your own home team, which is clearly the case of the trolls here on this board.

Just don't think their example is how the bulk of their fans behave, as tempting as it is because they do have some pretty intelligent fans.

Only thing that concerns me at this time about the Wings is them staying healthy this season and their bottom pairing on D. If somehow they could of retained Lilja and then added Salei, that would of been stellar.

Big E has yet to impress me and I am concerned.

LA improved a lot over the season and off season, I don't see how they were over achievers last year, and they're only going to be better this year. I'd say LA has a much deadlier team than Chicago does any day. I agree about Phoenix and Colorado however.

How'd they improve in the off-season? Mitchell and Poni replacing Frolov and O'Donnell?

Maybe they weren't over-achievers actually. I guess it just seemed that way to me being ahead of us most of the year. Just not used to the Wings being so low in the standings.

I just don't see all the hype around them. Maybe if they had gotten Kovy, but as it stands I think their top 6 is lacking firepower. Kopitar, Smyth, Brown and a handful of 3rd liners. On defense, outside of Doughty, none of them really impress me. Quick is average really.

What exactly do they have that makes you think they're better than Chicago? With the cap space they had this summer, I expected them to become a threat, but they just never did anything. They still have a bunch of cap space ($5-8M depending on what kids make the roster) but not much to spend it on now.

LMAO! Chicago's light years ahead of the Wings, yet the Wings were 3-2-1 against the Hawks last year. We don't need luck beating the "new power of the NHL", we've been doing it for years and will continue to do so for many more. Enjoy second place.

How'd they improve in the off-season? Mitchell and Poni replacing Frolov and O'Donnell?

Maybe they weren't over-achievers actually. I guess it just seemed that way to me being ahead of us most of the year. Just not used to the Wings being so low in the standings.

I just don't see all the hype around them. Maybe if they had gotten Kovy, but as it stands I think their top 6 is lacking firepower. Kopitar, Smyth, Brown and a handful of 3rd liners. On defense, outside of Doughty, none of them really impress me. Quick is average really.

What exactly do they have that makes you think they're better than Chicago? With the cap space they had this summer, I expected them to become a threat, but they just never did anything. They still have a bunch of cap space ($5-8M depending on what kids make the roster) but not much to spend it on now.

Yeah its weird that they didn't spend more money, and if they had gotten Kovalchuck they'd be really deadly. Kopitar is getting better every year, proving himself to be one of the best offensive minded forwards in the league, he's still only 23.

Ponikarovsky will fill a spot on the second line, and is good for 20-25 goals. Frolov isn't really a big loss, he is a shadow of the player he was supposed to be about four years ago. I don't see O'Donnel as a loss either, supposedly they have a lot of young defensive talent in the system, but I've only read that I have no idea if its true.

As far as Quick, he isn't great, but he's not as bad as some people make out. I believe their backup this season will be Bernier who is a highly touted prospect, so who knows.

The Kings are lacking some offensive punch they do have solid 3rd and 4th lines to chip in. I think they still need to fill a roster spot or two, so maybe they pick someone up, though I'm not sure who is still available. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a trade for a big player.

So... maybe you're right in that they aren't much better than last year, but I don't think they got any worse. I would expect them to make the playoffs again and get about 100 points.

Yeah its weird that they didn't spend more money, and if they had gotten Kovalchuck they'd be really deadly. Kopitar is getting better every year, proving himself to be one of the best offensive minded forwards in the league, he's still only 23.

Ponikarovsky will fill a spot on the second line, and is good for 20-25 goals. Frolov isn't really a big loss, he is a shadow of the player he was supposed to be about four years ago. I don't see O'Donnel as a loss either, supposedly they have a lot of young defensive talent in the system, but I've only read that I have no idea if its true.

As far as Quick, he isn't great, but he's not as bad as some people make out. I believe their backup this season will be Bernier who is a highly touted prospect, so who knows.

The Kings are lacking some offensive punch they do have solid 3rd and 4th lines to chip in. I think they still need to fill a roster spot or two, so maybe they pick someone up, though I'm not sure who is still available. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a trade for a big player.

So... maybe you're right in that they aren't much better than last year, but I don't think they got any worse. I would expect them to make the playoffs again and get about 100 points.

Agreed. I don't think they were overachieving last season. They played about as expected.

Johnson is a little overrated in terms of potential I think, but can still be a solid D man if he learns to pick his spots better. and Mitchell is a nice addition if he stays healthy.

Them not adding some scoring depth this offseason is a little baffling to me. As for Quick, I think he's a good young goaltender. He got burned out at the end of last season, but they played the kid for 72 games in his second season in the NHL. The year before he got 44 starts.

If they can notch back his games some, I think he can be a good solid goaltender for the Kings.

Edited by haroldsnepsts