• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

yea im sure we had some crying about getting - on their posts. Like it meant anything. hahahahahaha

but but but crosby hit a home run!!!

Yeah, on a served-up-down-the-middle-slow-ball at batting practice. He's awesome! :lol:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#42 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:46 PM

They put up 7 goals in a playoff game, then they can't find the back of the net in the next game.

Does this really pass as valid criticism? A variance in scoring between one game and the next? I hate to be that guy that says "you don't know hockey," but you have to watch that or just about any sport for about five minutes to understand that scores will vary, often wildly, between games.

However these "inconsistent" Red Wings have found a kindred spirit in a team I believe you hold dear. Let me direct you to the case of Montreal v. Pittsburgh, wherein the Pens scored six goals in the first game but then required the next four games combined to reach that total. Perhaps their age is catching up with them -- 23 is the new 40.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#43 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:59 PM

Pens D is significantly better than last year. Martin is 9 years younger and 10x better on D that Gonchar (maybe ever was). Gonchar's run has come to an end and Shero wisely chose to go in another direction (The Wings made a mistake bringing back Lidstrom for 6.2 mill, because he isn't worth it anymore.

Though I think Detroit has a great team, they are too inconsistent (I think because of how old they are getting). They put up 7 goals in a playoff game, then they can't find the back of the net in the next game. It will be tough to take on Chicago... In a 7 games series only two teams really match up against them (pens and wings)

Knock the pens all you want i'm just saying--- this ISN'T the detroit team from 3 years ago. (thank god because that was a scary fu***** team)

The wings D isn't EVEN CLOSE to the Pens D--- take your aging Rafalski's and Lidstrom--- Who in their right minds could argue that Detroit's D is better than Pittsburghs? This isn't 2007-08

Umm... Martin is not better than Gonchar. Not at all. The wings made a mistake bringing back Lidstrom? The greatest defensemen of all time? How is he not worth it anymore? He was 4th in Norris voting last year, and only because of a slow start and a depleted team did his point totals (minorly) drop.

No one is knocking the pens here. We're knocking your absurdly ignorant attempt at discussion in which you have neglected logic and facts every step of the way.

Literally every point you have posted thus far is the opposite of the truth. It seems like you have never watched a hockey game in your life as you have yet to post a single sentence that even resembles intelligent thought.

By the way, the Wings team last year that was soooo old and not even close to as good as the pens.... actually HAD MORE POINTS AT THE END OF THE SEASON than your Pens did.

Take off the goggles man, you're embarrassing yourself.
Posted Image

#44 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

Martin is definitely better than Gonchar defensively. Obviously not on the offensive end, though.

#45 best poster in LGW history

best poster in LGW history

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

Who in their right minds could argue that Detroit's D is better than Pittsburghs? This isn't 2007-08

anyone that's not a pens fan? go ask fans of any other team.

the wings have 3 defenseman capable of putting up 50+ pts. no one on the pens d has ever scored more than 37 pts. hell, lidstrom had an "off" year last year and still had 49, all while being way better defensively than anyone on the pens.

#46 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

Pens D is significantly better than last year. Martin is 9 years younger and 10x better on D that Gonchar (maybe ever was). Gonchar's run has come to an end and Shero wisely chose to go in another direction

Wow, are you in for a rude awakening when this "significantly better" defense does about as good as it did last year. Gonchar missed 20 games last year and was 2nd in powerplay assists. While he was with the Pens, he was consistently near the top for powerplay points in the league. Now he's going to be replaced by a guy that never got more than 37 points in a season? As for his defense... if you hated the way Ryan Whitney played defense, and most Pens fans did, you're not going to be too big on Martin either.

Knock the pens all you want i'm just saying--- this ISN'T the detroit team from 3 years ago.

I'm not really "knocking the Pens", I just think Shero made a mistake this offseason. The Pens blew $9 mil and have pretty much the same defense as last year talent wise and still don't have any good wingers for their two franchise centers. Yeah, Staal's moving up, but that takes away from their depth, which is important when you want to have a long playoff run. You're right about one thing, its not the same Wings team it was three years ago, its better.

The wings D isn't EVEN CLOSE to the Pens D--- take your aging Rafalski's and Lidstrom--- Who in their right minds could argue that Detroit's D is better than Pittsburghs?

Ummm, me and anyone that isn't a Pens homer would argue this. lol Look, I'm glad you have a lot of confidence in your team and you're looking forward to the season and all, but you're going way overboard. I'll take an aging Rafalski and Lidstrom over anyone Pittsburgh has anyday.

#47 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 576 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

The wings D isn't EVEN CLOSE to the Pens D--- take your aging Rafalski's and Lidstrom--- Who in their right minds could argue that Detroit's D is better than Pittsburghs? This isn't 2007-08

That makes me laugh... :D

Are you serious, or do you just try to provoke anyone here on the board???

#48 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

Wings over Penguins, 4-2

If Howard isn't the second coming of Steve Mason, I think we're golden. We're much deeper than last year, with rest, and hopefully some passion after an early exit. This team is essentially the team that won the Cup in '08, except the younger players of that team are developed.

I can't stand the Penguins but they are obviously talented, and more importantly, I believe they have the most playoff experiance of anyone in their Conferance the last 5 years. Experiance wise, they're the Wings of the East.

The Pens lost Gonchar, the Sharks lost Blake and Nabaokov. The Hawks lost everybody except their CORE. The Ducks lost Neidemeir.

Teams to beat

Wings
Canucks
Caps
Flyers

Caps and Flyers don't have the goaltending. The 2 year reign of crappy goaltenders winning the Cup will end this year. Howard or Luongo are my picks.
Do or do not. There is no try

#49 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

The wings D isn't EVEN CLOSE to the Pens D--- take your aging Rafalski's and Lidstrom--- Who in their right minds could argue that Detroit's D is better than Pittsburghs?

Schwhat??!?!

Ummm, me and anyone that isn't a Pens homer would argue this. lol Look, I'm glad you have a lot of confidence in your team and you're looking forward to the season and all, but you're going way overboard. I'll take an aging Rafalski and Lidstrom over anyone Pittsburgh has anyday.

Thank You, xtrememachine1!!! Sanity and intelligent response at last.

Umm... Martin is not better than Gonchar. Not at all. The wings made a mistake bringing back Lidstrom? The greatest defensemen of all time? How is he not worth it anymore? He was 4th in Norris voting last year, and only because of a slow start and a depleted team did his point totals (minorly) drop.

No one is knocking the pens here. We're knocking your absurdly ignorant attempt at discussion in which you have neglected logic and facts every step of the way.

Literally every point you have posted thus far is the opposite of the truth. It seems like you have never watched a hockey game in your life as you have yet to post a single sentence that even resembles intelligent thought.

By the way, the Wings team last year that was soooo old and not even close to as good as the pens.... actually HAD MORE POINTS AT THE END OF THE SEASON than your Pens did.

Take off the goggles man, you're embarrassing yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY

#50 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

Red Wings over Capitals in 7

:thumbup: :siren: :thumbup: :siren:
be about it!

#51 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:24 PM

I love how a Penguins fan comes to a Red Wings board and then somehow acts suprised when Red Wings fans defend/hype their team.

Brilliant. Counting the days until Crosby can't escape Hank's shadow (again).

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#52 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

(The Wings made a mistake bringing back Lidstrom for 6.2 mill, because he isn't worth it anymore.

Lidstrom hardly 'lost a step' (as so many say) last year. He was still extremely solid and scored closed to 50 points, all while playing for a team that was essentially Grand Rapids for half the year.

Though I think Detroit has a great team, they are too inconsistent (I think because of how old they are getting). They put up 7 goals in a playoff game, then they can't find the back of the net in the next game.

To look at two different games is silly. Things like that happen all the time. If you look back at any of the teams in last years playoffs, you'll probably find that most of them had a high scoring game, followed by at least one low scoring game.

Detroit has been the model for consistency for a long time. Age has nothing to do with it. We have about 5 players who are old, the rest are in their prime, or are young players, just entering their prime.

It will be tough to take on Chicago... In a 7 games series only two teams really match up against them (pens and wings)

Have you missed the massive list of players who Chicago lost? They lost about 7 players. Sure, most were bottom liners, but the fact is, you don't win a cup with just 2 lines. You need to have four lines, all working hard. Chicago will make the playoffs, but they won't make it past the second round (if they make it past the first) Take this from one of the few people on here who actually LIKE the Hawks as a team (I hate 90% of their fans though)

Knock the pens all you want i'm just saying--- this ISN'T the detroit team from 3 years ago. (thank god because that was a scary fu***** team)

There aren't a whole lot of different players from that team from 3 years ago.

Goalies:
07/08 - Osgood/Hasek (Howard was #3)
10/11 - Howard/Osgood

Not much change there. Hasek didn't even play in the playoffs, and Howard showed last year he has the potential to be amazing. Much better than Fleury...

Defense:
07/08 - Lilja, Quincey, Lidstrom, Meech, Lebda, Stuart, Chelios, Rafalski, Stafford, Kindl, Ericsson, Kronwall
10/11 - Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall, Ericsson, Salei, Kindl

Again, not much difference. Most of the players we had in 08 that are gone, either were not very good (Meech, Lebda and Quincey at the time), old (Chelios). I don't even KNOW who Stafford is, so I doubt he was very important at all.

Offense:
07/08 - Abdelkader, Cleary, Drake, Maltby, Downey, McCarty, Hudler, Samuelsson, Helm, Kopecky, Franzen, Holmstrom, Datsyuk, Draper, Zetterberg, Ritola, Hartigan, Filppula
10/11 - Abdelkader, Andersson, Bertuzzi, Callahan, Cleary, Coetzee, Datsyuk, Draper, Eaves, I.Filppula, V.Filppula, Franzen, Helm, Holmstrom, Hudler, Johnson, Maltby, Miller, Minard, Modano, Owens, Ritola, Tardif, Tatar, Zetterberg

This year's lineup includes a few new faces. Many of whom I know nothing about, and includes many GR prospects who won't see much playing time. The only real differences are:
Gone - Drake, Downey, McCarty, Samuelsson, Kopecky, Hartigan
Come - Bertuzzi, Eaves, Miller, Modano

Aside from the fighters, we haven't lost much. Modano is at least as good as Drake was, Eaves/Miller are both very good PKer's who also add more offense than any of the players except Sammy, and Bert is a solid player. So, aside from Sammy, we haven't lost anyone who hasn't been replaced, OR upgraded.

You're very right. We're not the 07/08 Wings. We're much, MUCH better. I'd say the only Wings line-up that was better would be the 02 lineup, but in the salary cap days, NO team has had 3 scoring lines as good as this years team. Our third line is better than many team's second lines.

I'd say everyone in the world would take Lidstrom alone over the entire Pen's D core. Lidstrom has been the most dominant defensemen in recent history, and one of the best ever. Rafalski is still a top-notch offensive D-man. Many knock him for his defensive zone play, but that was never his strength. He showed at the Olympics, and during our post-olympic run that he still has what it takes to play. Add on top of that Stuart and Kronwall, who are as good or better than some other teams first pairing.

Salei and E are a bit of a question mark, especially Ericsson. The guy has potential to be a very, very good d-man, top 4 material for sure, he just has to get going. We've seen him at his best before, and he was amazing. Last year was a let down, sure, but it was his real rookie year. He's only getting better.

#53 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:03 PM

I love how a Penguins fan comes to a Red Wings board and then somehow acts suprised when Red Wings fans defend/hype their team.

Bring back the negative ratings!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#54 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

I like the moves the Pens have made on D, but they still need to find a winger for Crosby, imo. I kind of want Malkin to move up to the Wing on the first line and let Staal center the second line with Dupuis and Cooke. I'm not sure the Pens depth will allow that, though.
The biggest weakness for both the Wings and the Pens I believe is in net. Howard is going into the cursed sophomore year and has perhaps the worst rebound control for a 1 goalie in the league, whereas with MAF you never know who's going to be in net: a legit 1 goalie, or someone who will let in 3 fluky goals. Both teams are probably among the favorites to get to the finals, but the favorites rarely end up getting that far.
By the way, have you been following the Chicago exodus this summer? I'm not sure how to interpret "I don't see the Wings pulling through this year, because they won't be able to get past Chicago. " or "Pens vs Hawks". Last time I checked Chicago packed up and moved to Atlanta.

Well done!
Wings over caps 4-2
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#55 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:27 AM

There aren't a whole lot of different players from that team from 3 years ago.

Goalies:
07/08 - Osgood/Hasek (Howard was #3)
10/11 - Howard/Osgood

Not much change there. Hasek didn't even play in the playoffs, and Howard showed last year he has the potential to be amazing. Much better than Fleury...

While I agree with you completely, Hasek DID starts game 1 and 2 against Nashville in the playoffs before being replaced by Osgood.
Posted Image

#56 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:49 AM

While I agree with you completely, Hasek DID starts game 1 and 2 against Nashville in the playoffs before being replaced by Osgood.

Thanks. I had forgotten about that. Osgood took us the rest of the way, and was a major reason that we won.

#57 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:02 AM

Brilliant. Counting the days until Crosby can't escape Hank's shadow (again).

True story is true.
*this space for rent*

#58 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:02 AM

Wings vs...oh hell, the Caps, I guess.

West: I think the Canucks and Kings look pretty good, but the Canucks are chokers and the Kings lack offense. If LA had signed Kovalchuk, I'd say there would be a darn good chance it'd be between us and them in the WCF, but they're still missing a piece or two of the puzzle, if you ask me. The Sharks...umm, well, they did get further last year than in the past, so maybe they're learning? I hope not, heh. I may just be a homer, but I think we've got a heck of a chance this year.

East: Shoot, I don't know. What I want to see is the Caps break out and git-r-done this year, but who knows if it'll happen. The Pens look decent, and I may be nuts, but I think the Bruins look good. Yeah, they royally screwed up last year, but (hopefully!) that's a once-in-a-lifetime deal, and they still have most of the same guys this year, right? It could happen! I agree with somebody above that goaltending is going to bury the Flyers. Tampa Bay is my dark horse.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#59 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:20 AM

First 4 games actually.

I like the Pens defense, but I don't think they have enough offense. Crosby and Malkin can only make up so much, unless Martin and Michalek show something or Goligoski makes a huge stride, that will cause problems for them. No one in the East really stands out though, so I wouldn't be shocked if they made the Finals. Philly, Boston, Buffalo, Washington, and New Jersey could all make noise. But I'll say Washington finally puts it together (maybe with a new coach) and takes the East.

In the West, Detroit, San Jose, Vancouver, and Chicago (yeah, yeah... exodus and all, still a very good team) are easily the best teams (maybe top 4 in the league too). Phoenix, Colorado, and LA were over achievers last year, and I'm not convinced they could repeat that (especially not Phoenix, losing Lombardi and Michalek), though none of the other teams really stand out either. Nashville, Calgary, St.Louis, Minnesota, Anaheim...none of them look like contenders to me. As a homer, I have to pick the Wings. Otherwise Canucks.

#60 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

I like the moves the Pens have made on D, but they still need to find a winger for Crosby, imo. I kind of want Malkin to move up to the Wing on the first line and let Staal center the second line with Dupuis and Cooke. I'm not sure the Pens depth will allow that, though.
The biggest weakness for both the Wings and the Pens I believe is in net. Howard is going into the cursed sophomore year and has perhaps the worst rebound control for a 1 goalie in the league, whereas with MAF you never know who's going to be in net: a legit 1 goalie, or someone who will let in 3 fluky goals. Both teams are probably among the favorites to get to the finals, but the favorites rarely end up getting that far.
By the way, have you been following the Chicago exodus this summer? I'm not sure how to interpret "I don't see the Wings pulling through this year, because they won't be able to get past Chicago. " or "Pens vs Hawks". Last time I checked Chicago packed up and moved to Atlanta.

Not to worry about Fleury. He'll be fine. Bettman has made sure all thresholds are lowered and lighted from all locker rooms to the ice.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.