85 replies to this topic

#61 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:03 PM

Wings versus Wings.

This year is simply a case of man versus himself. For the Wings, the cup is only theirs to lose. Simple as that. :hehe:

Edited by titanium2, 11 September 2010 - 01:07 PM.

#62 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

Wings vs. Leafs.

Granted it would require hell freezing over first, but I can dream.

It'd sure be good for the NHL.

#63 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

First 4 games actually.

I like the Pens defense, but I don't think they have enough offense. Crosby and Malkin can only make up so much, unless Martin and Michalek show something or Goligoski makes a huge stride, that will cause problems for them. No one in the East really stands out though, so I wouldn't be shocked if they made the Finals. Philly, Boston, Buffalo, Washington, and New Jersey could all make noise. But I'll say Washington finally puts it together (maybe with a new coach) and takes the East.

In the West, Detroit, San Jose, Vancouver, and Chicago (yeah, yeah... exodus and all, still a very good team) are easily the best teams (maybe top 4 in the league too). Phoenix, Colorado, and LA were over achievers last year, and I'm not convinced they could repeat that (especially not Phoenix, losing Lombardi and Michalek), though none of the other teams really stand out either. Nashville, Calgary, St.Louis, Minnesota, Anaheim...none of them look like contenders to me. As a homer, I have to pick the Wings. Otherwise Canucks.

LA improved a lot over the season and off season, I don't see how they were over achievers last year, and they're only going to be better this year. I'd say LA has a much deadlier team than Chicago does any day. I agree about Phoenix and Colorado however.
Posted Image

#64 ChicagoMan

ChicagoMan

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

:lol: Good one!

esteef

Good one? Chicago is light years ahead of Detroit in terms of talent at the forward position. Not to mention their defense is easily the best top 4 in the league. No other team matches Keith-Seabrook and Hjalmarsson is easily a top 2 d-man on any other team. Good Luck beating the new power of the NHL.

#65 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

Wings vs. who cares.

Attached File  2553196493_418b7d4b54.jpg   122.02KB   9 downloads

#66 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

Good one? Chicago is light years ahead of Detroit in terms of talent at the forward position. Not to mention their defense is easily the best top 4 in the league. No other team matches Keith-Seabrook and Hjalmarsson is easily a top 2 d-man on any other team. Good Luck beating the new power of the NHL.

Lmao, here we go again.
Posted Image

#67 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

Just let the whiny bandwagon fans have their fun.

Many of us Wings fans have been around long enough to know that you have to do your research from another team's perspective and THEN form an opinion as opposed to only knowing your own home team, which is clearly the case of the trolls here on this board.

Just don't think their example is how the bulk of their fans behave, as tempting as it is because they do have some pretty intelligent fans.

#68 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:18 PM

Only thing that concerns me at this time about the Wings is them staying healthy this season and their bottom pairing on D. If somehow they could of retained Lilja and then added Salei, that would of been stellar.

Big E has yet to impress me and I am concerned.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#69 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:52 PM

LA improved a lot over the season and off season, I don't see how they were over achievers last year, and they're only going to be better this year. I'd say LA has a much deadlier team than Chicago does any day. I agree about Phoenix and Colorado however.

How'd they improve in the off-season? Mitchell and Poni replacing Frolov and O'Donnell?

Maybe they weren't over-achievers actually. I guess it just seemed that way to me being ahead of us most of the year. Just not used to the Wings being so low in the standings.

I just don't see all the hype around them. Maybe if they had gotten Kovy, but as it stands I think their top 6 is lacking firepower. Kopitar, Smyth, Brown and a handful of 3rd liners. On defense, outside of Doughty, none of them really impress me. Quick is average really.

What exactly do they have that makes you think they're better than Chicago? With the cap space they had this summer, I expected them to become a threat, but they just never did anything. They still have a bunch of cap space ($5-8M depending on what kids make the roster) but not much to spend it on now.

#70 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:40 AM

LMAO! Chicago's light years ahead of the Wings, yet the Wings were 3-2-1 against the Hawks last year. We don't need luck beating the "new power of the NHL", we've been doing it for years and will continue to do so for many more. Enjoy second place.

#71 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

How'd they improve in the off-season? Mitchell and Poni replacing Frolov and O'Donnell?

Maybe they weren't over-achievers actually. I guess it just seemed that way to me being ahead of us most of the year. Just not used to the Wings being so low in the standings.

I just don't see all the hype around them. Maybe if they had gotten Kovy, but as it stands I think their top 6 is lacking firepower. Kopitar, Smyth, Brown and a handful of 3rd liners. On defense, outside of Doughty, none of them really impress me. Quick is average really.

What exactly do they have that makes you think they're better than Chicago? With the cap space they had this summer, I expected them to become a threat, but they just never did anything. They still have a bunch of cap space ($5-8M depending on what kids make the roster) but not much to spend it on now.

Yeah its weird that they didn't spend more money, and if they had gotten Kovalchuck they'd be really deadly. Kopitar is getting better every year, proving himself to be one of the best offensive minded forwards in the league, he's still only 23.

Ponikarovsky will fill a spot on the second line, and is good for 20-25 goals. Frolov isn't really a big loss, he is a shadow of the player he was supposed to be about four years ago. I don't see O'Donnel as a loss either, supposedly they have a lot of young defensive talent in the system, but I've only read that I have no idea if its true.

As far as Quick, he isn't great, but he's not as bad as some people make out. I believe their backup this season will be Bernier who is a highly touted prospect, so who knows.

The Kings are lacking some offensive punch they do have solid 3rd and 4th lines to chip in. I think they still need to fill a roster spot or two, so maybe they pick someone up, though I'm not sure who is still available. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a trade for a big player.

So... maybe you're right in that they aren't much better than last year, but I don't think they got any worse. I would expect them to make the playoffs again and get about 100 points.
Posted Image

#72 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

Yeah its weird that they didn't spend more money, and if they had gotten Kovalchuck they'd be really deadly. Kopitar is getting better every year, proving himself to be one of the best offensive minded forwards in the league, he's still only 23.

Ponikarovsky will fill a spot on the second line, and is good for 20-25 goals. Frolov isn't really a big loss, he is a shadow of the player he was supposed to be about four years ago. I don't see O'Donnel as a loss either, supposedly they have a lot of young defensive talent in the system, but I've only read that I have no idea if its true.

As far as Quick, he isn't great, but he's not as bad as some people make out. I believe their backup this season will be Bernier who is a highly touted prospect, so who knows.

The Kings are lacking some offensive punch they do have solid 3rd and 4th lines to chip in. I think they still need to fill a roster spot or two, so maybe they pick someone up, though I'm not sure who is still available. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a trade for a big player.

So... maybe you're right in that they aren't much better than last year, but I don't think they got any worse. I would expect them to make the playoffs again and get about 100 points.

Agreed. I don't think they were overachieving last season. They played about as expected.

Johnson is a little overrated in terms of potential I think, but can still be a solid D man if he learns to pick his spots better. and Mitchell is a nice addition if he stays healthy.

Them not adding some scoring depth this offseason is a little baffling to me. As for Quick, I think he's a good young goaltender. He got burned out at the end of last season, but they played the kid for 72 games in his second season in the NHL. The year before he got 44 starts.

If they can notch back his games some, I think he can be a good solid goaltender for the Kings.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 12 September 2010 - 12:04 PM.

#73 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

Florida vs. Anaheim :ph34r:

Wings versus Wings.

This year is simply a case of man versus himself. For the Wings, the cup is only theirs to lose. Simple as that. :hehe:

:thumbup:

#74 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:32 PM

If these bandwagon fans from other teams had any real substance and truly believed their arguments then they would look to challenge each other on here as well and not just troll us Wings fans.

#75 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

the whole purpose of them coming here is to troll

so why would they need substance

#76 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

this just in I heard per my brain that the stanley cup final is gonna be the wings and the flightless birds or i could see the bruins making a run for it.
Wings vs bruins wings in 5 Lidstrom and Modano and draper and maltby and osgood all retire with a cup in toe and ride off into the sunset.

#77 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

this just in I heard per my brain that the stanley cup final is gonna be the wings and the flightless birds or i could see the bruins making a run for it.
Wings vs bruins wings in 5 Lidstrom and Modano and draper and maltby and osgood all retire with a cup in toe and ride off into the sunset.

And they all tie for the connsmythe (and Lidstrom never retires)
Posted Image

#78 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,920 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:20 AM

Is that still covered under the team's medical insurance?

Drapes, Malts, and possibly Mo are gone for sure. Lids is a probable if we get the Cup. Ozzie just might hang out as a backup and mentor. That more than likely depends on how he does this season.

#79 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:59 AM

While I agree with you completely, Hasek DID starts game 1 and 2 against Nashville in the playoffs before being replaced by Osgood.

I didnt look it up but if my memory serves me correctly I beleive he even started game 5, let in a couple soft goals, then Osgood came in and at some point the game was tied and then the Wings ended up winning. I know Osgood ended up with 14 wins in that Cup run but Im almost positve Hasek started game 5. I think that was the Arnott goal where Radulov piled on top of him and gave him a concussion.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#80 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

Wings over Flyers, five games.

i like it. :thumbup:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.