• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

titanium2

Who will be the whipping boys for '10-'11?

Rate this topic

Bertuzzi - He definitely came to mind. The turnovers at the blue line, the one hand on the hockey stick, bad penalties, etc.

Ericsson - I can already see the sarcastic GDT comments on his play. Something along the lines of, "B-b-but he's going to play well this year because he said it's a contract year!" along with of course the <_< smiley.

Kindl - Probably. A good majority of those who have watched GR with supposedly untrained eyes will always carry images of him with quite the lack of confidence struggling so badly just to get the puck out of the zone. The very few of those who have watched GR with supposedly trained eyes will always point to how Kindl can make skilled plays and passes that his teammates at the AHL level simply weren't ready for.

Salei - Not sure to be honest. I don't think he'll be ripped apart as badly as Lilja. Plus, he's more of an offensive threat than Lilja, imo. He can actually shoot the puck from the blue line pretty well. But I can already see his backers claiming that for a third pair defenseman he's doing just fine.

Bertuzzi - He definitely came to mind. The turnovers at the blue line, the one hand on the hockey stick, bad penalties, etc.

Ericsson - I can already see the sarcastic GDT comments on his play. Something along the lines of, "B-b-but he's going to play well this year because he said it's a contract year!" along with of course the <_< smiley.

Kindl - Probably. A good majority of those who have watched GR with supposedly untrained eyes will always carry images of him with quite the lack of confidence struggling so badly just to get the puck out of the zone. The very few of those who have watched GR with supposedly trained eyes will always point to how Kindl can make skilled plays and passes that his teammates at the AHL level simply weren't ready for.

Salei - Not sure to be honest. I don't think he'll be ripped apart as badly as Lilja. Plus, he's more of an offensive threat than Lilja, imo. He can actually shoot the puck from the blue line pretty well. But I can already see his backers claiming that for a third pair defenseman he's doing just fine.

I think this is a good assessment.

I would add Rafalski, because he has the nerve not to be Nick Lidstrom.

I think a lot of good predictions have been made, and can't really disagree with any of them (and lol'ed at the remark about Rafalski having the nerve to not be Nick).

That said, I'd like to throw JHo into the mix. He's ripe for a sophomore slump, and we all know how we Detroit fans love to trash our goalies.

I as well agree with most, but Ozzy, Modano and Kindl should be scratched off the list I think. Ozzy is coming off a terrible year and we know how much Jimmy can play when needed so he wouldnt stand that much of a chance even getting the scapegoat title Im affraid. Modano was hired as a third line center, Im certain Mike could glide from one end of the rink to the other aimlessly all year and still fit the mold of a third line center. Not to mention he's a local boy, legend & on his last year, to make him a scapegoat would be almost classless and Pittsburgh fans come to mind for some reason.....Kindl hasnt played much time here at all and if he doesnt perform he wont play so also wont be able to achieve the scapegoat title. But the rest are up for grabs!

I pretty much agree with all your points here. Bertuzzi's no-look passes are also problematic. I sincerely hope that Big E can put together a solid season, but who knows. Salei, in my opinion as well, is an upgrade from Lilja at least offensively. Two seasons ago the guy was playing top 4 minutes for Colorado, so I think Babcock will expect 20ish minutes out of the bottom pairing to help take the weight off Lids-Rafi.

The bolded part of the Kindl synopsis is what I'm hoping for as a Red Wings fan. I've watched enough of Kindl to know that he does possess a lot of raw skill, and that some of his errant passing isn't all his fault. Maybe a partner who can accept his passes and his quick reactions will help him at the NHL level. He's got a lot of mobility on the blue-line, so giving him a little bit of powerplay time here and there might boost his confidence too.

Guest Crymson

Who will be the whipping boys for '10-'11?

Depending on how the thread goes I might add a poll.

I predict it'll be Salei and Ericsson.

If things are going well, I predict Bert. Just because he is what he is and anybody (including myself) that expects Bert to start not taking bad penalties and start playing with two hands on the stick is going to be disappointed in him to a degree. He's the easiest target.

If things are going badly, Howard. Let's face it... if the Wings are struggling, there is a hefty contingent just waiting to gloat and point the finger at Howard.

Cleary is my dark horse. If he isn't playing well and the Wings are losing, the dog pile will be enormous.

Edited by Broken 16

Watch it be Nick or Ozzie or some other vet. If we get off to a slow start or we're decimated by injuries again and things aren't going well, people will be calling for their heads.

If not them, then probably Bertuzzi or Flip. I don't know. I don't really go after players individually unless they do something so egregious you'd look stupid not to.