Photo
- - - - -

Who will be the whipping boys for '10-'11?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#41 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

SouthernWingsFan :ph34r: :unsure:

#42 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:28 PM

Ideally we'd like to see a really good year and no clear cut whipping boys. Is that really possible? I think so. Of course, you have your players that you tend to criticize more often than not but it may not be so bad as when we had Lebda and Williams here where nearly everybody seemed to dogpile on them.

#43 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:31 AM

Is that possible? Remember 2008 when we were simply awesome in the regular season, arguably better than in 96? Lilja was a bum, Filpulla & Hudler would never be NHLers, Drake was a waste of a roster spot....and who can forget the Ozzie/Hasek flame wars?

I think you overestimate the maturity of the average interwebz user.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#44 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:28 AM

Pretty good chance that Rafalski will be it. I can see Salei as well. That's for defense.

For forwards, probably Hudler and the other lower level guys, Eaves and Helm come to mind. It would take a lot for Pavel or Hank to get to the Sammy level of scapegoatery. But Franzen is the more realistic high-level forward to catch the heat from this forum. Bertuzzi is definitely going to get the most "boos" from this place, he could lead the league in hits, fights, and goals and people would still complain about his speed and grittiness not being what it was in VAN.

Also, Ozzie will get it as a backup because, well, he always gets heat unless he leads us to the finals.

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#45 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:53 AM

Ideally we'd like to see a really good year and no clear cut whipping boys. Is that really possible? I think so. Of course, you have your players that you tend to criticize more often than not but it may not be so bad as when we had Lebda and Williams here where nearly everybody seemed to dogpile on them.

Unless we go undefeated... there will be a whipping boy. It maybe Jimmy (the goaltender is always a scapegoat). Once again, my vote goes to Bertuzzi. I hope he trained using 2 hands this off season.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#46 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:11 AM

Hmm Ericsson and Kindl most likely (if he gets the chance) because they will make so many mistakes and turnovers, the turnovers is the biggest factor when you're talking about whipping boys' in hockey.

Howard mostly because of his rebound control.

So potentially 3 guys could share the whipping boy position imo.

Edited by mindfly, 18 September 2010 - 07:13 AM.

#47 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

Hitchcock? :ph34r:

#48 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

Bertuzzi, maybe Modano (hopefully not), Howard if his rebound control hasn't improved, Ericsson, Kindl, Salei, Hudler, Filppula, Homer, Zetterberg, Rafalski, Datsyuk, Kronwall, Stuart, Draper, Abdelkader etc.

Basically everyone except Lidstrom.

#49 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:15 AM

Bertuzzi, maybe Modano (hopefully not), Howard if his rebound control hasn't improved, Ericsson, Kindl, Salei, Hudler, Filppula, Homer, Zetterberg, Rafalski, Datsyuk, Kronwall, Stuart, Draper, Abdelkader etc.

Basically everyone except Lidstrom.

Helm gets a lot of free passes too. Because he always works so damn hard!

#50 RedWingsFan13

RedWingsFan13

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

It will be Bert. In fact WTF is with bert, he has not scored a goal in forever. He should have at least 346 goals this season by now. what a scrub.

#51 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

Iam going with Cleary

Wait and see
Posted Image

#52 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

I think quiet many people will be surprised how solid Salei is given that he stays healthy, babcock loves him, he loves babcock...you all will see... he is an improvement over lilja, and lebda is no more, the D won't be as frustrating to watch this season, count on it.

Edited by mindfly, 18 September 2010 - 01:24 PM.

#53 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

I predict the choice of whipping boy will be divided among the following sub-groups on LGW:

Pro-Lilja - Salei
Pro-Hudler - Filppula
Anti-Ozzie - Howard
Pro-Enforcer - Hudler, Modano, anyone on the 3rd or 4th lines that doesn't fight

Personally, I think that no one is really immune to being the occasional "whipping boy", except maybe Lidstrom, who can do no wrong. Everyone makes mistakes, some more than others, but mistakes can lead to losses and no one on this board likes it when the Wings lose.

My early odd-on favorite is Bertuzzi though, he is the closest thing we have to a Sammy/Lebda/WIlliams type who makes a lot of the same kind of mental errors on a regular basis.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#54 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

I'm not referring to the best players in history sorry.

:ph34r:

After 4 years in the league, you are ready to proclaim him one of the best players in history?

That's a bit much of the Crosby worshipping....
Do or do not. There is no try

#55 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,501 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

TSN reports Modano is playing on a line with Cleary and Hudler. I think whipping boy will share the "A" amongst these three. Mo is particularly vulnerable, as he is the wild card/"new" guy.

Unless the goalies suck -- then, either one of them is in the line of fire around here. ;)

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#56 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

I will throw Kris Draper into the mix. Taking bad penalties, and losing at the faceoff dot. Then if Maltby cracks the lineup, I will add him to.

Even the best faceoff man in Detroit isn't good enough. That sounds about right. His 20-some penalty minutes really killed his team last year.

#57 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,139 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

Even the best faceoff man in Detroit isn't good enough. That sounds about right. His 20-some penalty minutes really killed his team last year.

What does Datsyuk have to do with this? :P

Of those players taking a significant number of faceoffs, Dats led the team at 55.1% Drapes was good at 52% but only took 319 faceoffs, one more than Abdelkader. Compared to Zetterberg with 1098, Datsyuk with 1070, Helm with 875, and Flip with 573.

He's still good at them, but he's not really a key faceoff guy anymore. I honestly don't have much problem with Draper's game. He's still a good 3rd/4th line guy. It's just his contract that's painful.

As for penalties, Bert is still king with 80 PIMs and 35 minor penalties. I'm afraid to know how many of those were in the offensive zone.

#58 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:37 AM

Probably about half. The other half were probably "reputation" calls Posted Image
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#59 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

The officials.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#60 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:15 AM

I'm kinda hoping that the star players of all the Wings opponents are the whipping boys.....not able to do a damn thing against the mighty(and healthy) Wings.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/