• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

titanium2

Who will be the whipping boys for '10-'11?

Rate this topic

I liked Sammy when he was on our team. He's a really good guy to have on the third line.

I never liked him... lots of ppl did, and I had many debates on it but just never liked him. Great shot but.. the aim, pains me to think about it still

I never liked him... lots of ppl did, and I had many debates on it but just never liked him. Great shot but.. the aim, pains me to think about it still

Well yeah some people just don't like other people and it's hard to explain why. It's true that he didn't have the greatest shot and he did more than his share of logo hunting. He also had a moment per game where he thought he was Datsyuk and tried to enter the zone by himself. More often than not he struggled badly but at least it didn't result in too many turnovers.

Yet despite all that he is still a pretty solid top six player in my eyes though and a pure luxury to have on the third line these days. He doesn't hit all that much but he knows how to use his size enough to get in the way. He was fairly good at everything. Not great, but good.

Interesting comment I found at the bottom of an mlive article:

So I've been wondering about McCrimmon and I've asked a few of the media members but I only got a response from former mlive employee George Malik:

"According to the Wings' PR staff, the assistant coaches are off limits to the media. We don't hear from them because it's Babcock's contention and, moreover, John Hahn's contention that Babcock speaks for the coaching staff, and MacLean and McCrimmon should be left alone to do their jobs without interference.

McCrimmon and MacLean do what assistant coaches do--they manage the offense and defense, respectively, in terms of line changes, they help develop drills specifically tailored to help their charges, and they help Babcock coach the team.

McCrimmon does NOT have the final say regarding the pairings or the Wings' defensive schemes, however. Babcock does, and if the team's suffering, the entire team is to blame, not one person, and not just the coaches."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/02/red_wings_put_emphasis_on_allo/2272/comments-2.html

Most of us on here pretty much already knew all that but still interesting to hear nonetheless.

Maybe McCrimmon's drills just suck.

Yeah I thought that too. But I remember reading an article here and there about how the younger defensemen on the team really like job he's doing.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player-pn.cgi?3129

2010/03/24: Jonathan Ericsson will play for the fourth straight time on Wednesday as his game is starting to improve. Ericsson had been rotating contests with Brett Lebda on the Detroit blueline, but that has stopped the time being. "We've been working on a lot of stuff with Beast (assistant coach Brad McCrimmon) and Meechy, and it's helped me a lot," Ericsson said. "It's just about getting me to the point where I am more relaxed out there. I am starting to get the feel of things again." (Source: Detroit News)

Sigh... Who knows?

I'll guess we'll just have to keep blaming McCrimmon no matter how misguided it might be.

Guest Heaten

Jimmy Howard should be the whipping boy. He was awful last playoffs against the Sharks and even worse this season. I cringe everytime the puck goes towards net because it seems like there's a 80% chance it's going in.

With the addition of Modano, Hudler, and a healthy Franzen and Cleary, I had high hopes for a deep playoff run this year. However, with Howard in net, I don't feel like we'll make it through the first round.

I don't believe in Howard. I miss Osgood, already. Red Wings are in a desperate need for a goalie before trade deadline. Their playoff fate depends on it.

That would explain why Ericsson keeps trying to turn all those double plays.

I guess we really don't know.

I was just thinking this morning how if we're going to single out any of the coaches that it might be reasonable to speculate on MacLean, who runs the offense and here's why:

Babs keep talking about how “Most of it starts in the offensive zone and works its way back into your zone ... When you’re disorganized coming back in your own zone you’re not going to be very good.” Perhaps the offensive scheme leads to bad positioning and sets the players up for bad defense at times.

No? Anyone? Bueller? I can feel the "You don't know hockey" comments coming in the distance.