• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Luongo gives up Canucks captaincy

Rate this topic

loungo never should have had the C to begin with. goalies are peanut gallerys. the C should go to someone like Kesler. luc bourdon would have been a good choice for captain right around now, but that unfortunate accident stole another quality hockey player. their future captain in 4-5 years tops is cody hodgson. both sedins keep A's.

Watch them win the cup this year.

Luongo obviously couldn't handle the captaincy and his play and demeanor suffered because of it. He should have a much better year because of this.

Do you really think that had much of any impact on his level of play? I agree that he shouldn't be the Captain, but I have a hard time believing his performance altered based on that title alone.

Do you really think that had much of any impact on his level of play? I agree that he shouldn't be the Captain, but I have a hard time believing his performance altered based on that title alone.

I'm thinking that being the captain of an NHL team is a much bigger deal than you are giving it credit for. As a professional, I'm pretty positive that he took that role very seriously. One less thing for him to think about. Goaltending is a lot of mental prep. Now he can focus on goaltending and goaltending alone. Great move by him. Now he doesn't have to worry so much about being a leader and an example. He can just play goal.

s***... even being captain on one of my cheesy rec leagues was a major hassle.

Edited by Broken 16

I'm thinking that being the captain of an NHL team is a much bigger deal than you are giving it credit for. As a professional, I'm pretty positive that he took that role very seriously. One less thing for him to think about. Goaltending is a lot of mental prep. Now he can focus on goaltending and goaltending alone. Great move by him. Now he doesn't have to worry so much about being a leader and an example. He can just play goal.

A quote from the media to back you up....

-----------------------

But, at the same time, Luongo expressed frustration at the end of the year with "the other stuff." The distractions. He already vowed he will no longer talk to the media the morning of games. He wants to cut back on questions when there seems to be an expectation the captain is should answer every last one.

As Luongo said in May: "You want to be focused on the game and stopping the puck."

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Luongo+time+team+captain+might+done/3441760/story.html#ixzz0zRQrzwJH

The clear choice is obviously Samuelsson :blink:

Seriously though, I think it almost has to be Kesler - He has shown a ton of leadership, plays the game the right way and I don't think you can give either of the Sedin's the C, without giving it to both of them and having a co-captaincy (which would be gimicky and laughable at the NHL level)

C - Kesler

A - Sedin

A - Sedin

done and done.

The clear choice is obviously Samuelsson :blink:

That would be something.

A post-game inteview filled with either ummmss, uhhhhhss, or "they can go **** themselves." I want.

Seriously though, I think it almost has to be Kesler - He has shown a ton of leadership, plays the game the right way and I don't think you can give either of the Sedin's the C, without giving it to both of them and having a co-captaincy (which would be gimicky and laughable at the NHL level)

C - Kesler

A - Sedin

A - Sedin

done and done.

Kesler should not get the C. No way.

It's going to be Henrik I think. There'll be no issues with his brother. There wasn't when Henrik was made an assistant.

I originally thought it should be Kesler but that may be because I was bigoted towards Swedes being captains. I still think that second only to Mark Messier, that Naslund was the worst captain in Canucks history. But then I look at Lidstrom and I see a lot of similarities in character between him and Henrik. I'm all for it now.

It's going to be Henrik I think. There'll be no issues with his brother. There wasn't when Henrik was made an assistant.

I originally thought it should be Kesler but that may be because I was bigoted towards Swedes being captains. I still think that second only to Mark Messier, that Naslund was the worst captain in Canucks history. But then I look at Lidstrom and I see a lot of similarities in character between him and Henrik. I'm all for it now.

Why do you think that about Naslund?

He did the most he could with the team that he had. They were never going anywhere in the playoffs with Cloutier as their goalie and only a few scorers on the team.

Why do you think that about Naslund?

He did the most he could with the team that he had. They were never going anywhere in the playoffs with Cloutier as their goalie and only a few scorers on the team.

In his last 3 or so years with the Canucks Naslund would pout on the bench and he looked absolutely miserable. You could tell he had lost his confidence and he obviously struggled. He looked like anything but a leader. It was so bad that Coach Vig took him out of the shootout rotation for awhile, gave him another chance and he totally whiffed on the puck. It was embarrassing. Someone even started an online petition or something like that to encourage Coach Vig not to use him there.

It's a leader's job to inspire confidence in a team, and as far as that goes, I can't really comment, but he certainly didn't inspire any confidence in the fans his last couple of years in Vancouver. I always got the impression he was probably a decent leader when all was going great, but sucked at it when a leader is really tested; when the chips were down.

Does thinking about stopping the Oilers, Avs, Wild and Flames from scoring less than three goals a night really require that much mental focus?

Anyway, there's still going to be a lack of leadership in that dressing room int he immediate future, no matter who they put the letter on. I expect it will take a few months before that dressing room is sorted out with all the new people there (Torres, Malhotra, Hamhuis, Ballard). None of those listed players has been a captain since junior.

They're also still a Bieksa (~ $3.7 million) over the cap currently.

Does thinking about stopping the Oilers, Avs, Wild and Flames from scoring less than three goals a night really require that much mental focus?

Anyway, there's still going to be a lack of leadership in that dressing room int he immediate future, no matter who they put the letter on. I expect it will take a few months before that dressing room is sorted out with all the new people there (Torres, Malhotra, Hamhuis, Ballard). None of those listed players has been a captain since junior.

They're also still a Bieksa (~ $3.7 million) over the cap currently.

I don't think there will be a lack of leadership at all. Most of the long-term Canucks are good leaders and that's not even counting Luongo. The problem is deciding who to give the C to. The new guys will fall in line exactly where they're told.

I'm most certainly not discrediting how big of a deal it is to be the Captain of an NHL team, more-so it was in regards to his role. While I understand he'd obviously have to focus more on the media side of things being the captain, its not as if the Alternate's didn't do the majority (if not all) of the talking to the refs during game play. Obviously, there's far more to it during the rest of the time with the team and with the media, and that I do agree could be a distraction if you're not mentally tough enough to handle it. He himself seems to admit he couldn't handle both.

I think it should go to Kesler. He will score, play Selke worthy defense, is physical and will fight. He does anything he can to win. He is also very vocal on the ice and even if he is mouthy it just shows his passion and competitiveness. I don't see the same captain like fire from Henrik that I do from Kesler

I think it should go to Kesler. He will score, play Selke worthy defense, is physical and will fight. He does anything he can to win. He is also very vocal on the ice and even if he is mouthy it just shows his passion and competitiveness. I don't see the same captain like fire from Henrik that I do from Kesler

Yes he will fight, but most Canucks fans hope he doesn't. He's not that good at it and he's too valuable to risk anyways. Let Rypien do Kesler's fighting for him.

Other than that, I agree with everything you said, but when it comes to "I don't see the same captain like fire from Henrik that I do from Kesler", you could say the same thing about Lidstrom. Some leaders are quiet and some are more vocal. Both can be either good or bad in my opinion.