• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

I'm thinking that being the captain of an NHL team is a much bigger deal than you are giving it credit for. As a professional, I'm pretty positive that he took that role very seriously. One less thing for him to think about. Goaltending is a lot of mental prep. Now he can focus on goaltending and goaltending alone. Great move by him. Now he doesn't have to worry so much about being a leader and an example. He can just play goal.

s***... even being captain on one of my cheesy rec leagues was a major hassle.

I'm most certainly not discrediting how big of a deal it is to be the Captain of an NHL team, more-so it was in regards to his role. While I understand he'd obviously have to focus more on the media side of things being the captain, its not as if the Alternate's didn't do the majority (if not all) of the talking to the refs during game play. Obviously, there's far more to it during the rest of the time with the team and with the media, and that I do agree could be a distraction if you're not mentally tough enough to handle it. He himself seems to admit he couldn't handle both.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#22 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

Posted Image

So ugly. :blink:

Posted Image

#23 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:24 AM

I think it should go to Kesler. He will score, play Selke worthy defense, is physical and will fight. He does anything he can to win. He is also very vocal on the ice and even if he is mouthy it just shows his passion and competitiveness. I don't see the same captain like fire from Henrik that I do from Kesler

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#24 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:30 AM

I think it should go to Kesler. He will score, play Selke worthy defense, is physical and will fight. He does anything he can to win. He is also very vocal on the ice and even if he is mouthy it just shows his passion and competitiveness. I don't see the same captain like fire from Henrik that I do from Kesler

Yes he will fight, but most Canucks fans hope he doesn't. He's not that good at it and he's too valuable to risk anyways. Let Rypien do Kesler's fighting for him.

Other than that, I agree with everything you said, but when it comes to "I don't see the same captain like fire from Henrik that I do from Kesler", you could say the same thing about Lidstrom. Some leaders are quiet and some are more vocal. Both can be either good or bad in my opinion.
It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

Luongo being captain was a bad idea whose time had come.

I'm hoping there's quotes somewhere that he talks about the good of the team, or even mentions it, in regards to his captaincy. And not just how much fun it was as the reason why it was hard to give up.

#26 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

The clear choice is obviously Samuelsson :blink:

Seriously though, I think it almost has to be Kesler - He has shown a ton of leadership, plays the game the right way and I don't think you can give either of the Sedin's the C, without giving it to both of them and having a co-captaincy (which would be gimicky and laughable at the NHL level)

C - Kesler
A - Sedin
A - Sedin

done and done.

the sedin co-captaincy would be as gimicky and laughable as having a goalie as captain with the C on his mask instead of his jersey.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#27 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

Yes he will fight, but most Canucks fans hope he doesn't. He's not that good at it and he's too valuable to risk anyways. Let Rypien do Kesler's fighting for him.

Other than that, I agree with everything you said, but when it comes to "I don't see the same captain like fire from Henrik that I do from Kesler", you could say the same thing about Lidstrom. Some leaders are quiet and some are more vocal. Both can be either good or bad in my opinion.

i definately think captain when i look at lids. he has the same calming presense on the wings that Yzerman had. Steve had a little more fire, but you can say something for a guy that always has a cool head. i sure couldn't keep a cool head like lids when someone f***s with my team...lids likes teeing em' up on the PP though, so he doesn't want his guys matching minors. Z's gonna make a great captain alot like Stevie Y.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#28 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

Maybe they could do the Wild thing and rotate the C. Each Sedin gets it for a month and no one knows or cares whose turn it is.

#29 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

Maybe they could do the Wild thing and rotate the C. Each Sedin gets it for a month and no one knows or cares whose turn it is.

After the failed experiment that made Luongo captain, I have a feeling the Canucks are going to go with a traditional single captain.
It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#30 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

It should definitely be Kesler or, if not him, one of the Sedins.

As far as a defenseman currently on the roster, their best choice is Sami Salo, which is hilarious. Among recent members of the roster, Mattias Ohlund would have been the obvious choice for captain, but he's in Tampa now. None of the other forwards really fit the spot as a team leader except for maybe Malhotra, and he has played zero games with his new team. Candidate for an 'A' perhaps, but definitely not the 'C' on his sweater.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:54 AM

At least he got a little creative at one point and put the "C" on his mask since apparently he couldn't have it on his jersey.

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman