• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zetts

Devils fined and have 2 draft picks taken

Rate this topic

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=333690

The league announced in a press release Monday that they have fined the Devils $3 million and that the club will forfeit their third-round draft choice in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft as well as a first-round draft choice in one of the next four NHL Entry Drafts.
Edited by Zetts

I think this is bulls***, why would they "approve" the contract then fine the team afterwards!

Talk about a mixed message.

Yeah, I'm confused by this too. The deal the NHL rejected isn't that much different from the one that they agreed to. Now they're getting fined and losing draft picks? At least it wasn't $3 mil in cap space.

Keep pissing people off Gary! The more people you screw around with, the more people don't like you, and you're looking for another job.

Today I heard on the FAN590's Center Ice with Greg Brady, Doug MacLean, and Nick Kypros, Bettman is going to try and get rid of guaranteed contracts.

IMO that's way to harsh. The contract was worse in terms of circumvention than some others but it's clear that other teams did the same thing but weren't quite as blatant. And the other teams got no penalties and got to keep their contracts.

I'm not a Devils fan but they got screwed.

I don't understand how a team can be fined draft picks for something when there was no precedence. So is this gonna be the standard punishment for someone trying to circumvent the cap? I can see charging them a bunch of money to recoup legal expenses etc. But draft picks too? I find it kinda ridiculous.

Edited by Broken 16

Stupid question, but since these draft picks aren't being surrendered to another team but to the NHL, doesn't this just mean that two kids are essentially getting screwed outta of their dream by not getting drafted? How does keeping young future stars out of the NHL benefit anyone?

Edited by BleedRed&White

Stupid question, but since these draft picks aren't being surrendered to another team but to the NHL, doesn't this just mean that two kids are essentially getting screwed outta of their dream by not getting drafted? How does keeping young future stars out of the NHL benefit anyone?

The picks are going to Phoenix. :ninja:

I call BS. I know this is the punishment for the first contract and that this is allowable under the CBA, but for a first-time enforcement, they should have just nullified the contract and been done with it. Vetoing sent the message the league wasn't going to allow this anymore. No need to punish them by taking away picks.

Broken16 - don't give them any ideas!!

Here is my major question: Is the punishment a result of the original 17-year contract, or are they being punished for the 15-year contract? I disagree with this punishment because:

1. If the Devils are being punished because of the original contract that they offered Kovalchuck, they should not be penalized because they did not go through with it after the NHL stepped in. The contract was taken away, so therefore no rule was broken. If the league told them that they would not allow the contract and the Devils went and did it anyway, then I can see them being punished. But they shouldn't be punished for something they did not follow through with. (Of course this is the NHL so maybe "intent to sign a contract" actually means that it counts)

2. If the punishment is a result of the new 15-year contract, then how can the NHL punish them if they approved it? Here, no rule was broken either because the NHL allowed this.

I know $3 million is not a lot of money for a hockey organization, but the draft picks will really hurt because some of their players are getting up there.

I think this is bulls***, why would they "approve" the contract then fine the team afterwards!

Talk about a mixed message.

Im pretty sure they are being fined for the first contract that got rejected. But yeah kinda weird they get fined for something that never came to light anyway.

Not to mention that are still 3 mill over the cap yet. That sucks...but its NJ so its funny

Edited by Original-Six

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means. There's no provision in the CBA (that I can find, anyway), about those draft picks going anywhere else.

Im pretty sure they are being fined for the first contract that got rejected. But yeah kinda weird they get fined for something that never came to light anyway.

Not to mention that are still 3 mill over the cap yet. That sucks...but its NJ so its funny

I agree that it's too much, but the contract did come to fruition - the league however had the right to nullify it (based on deeming it salary cap circumvention), •and• fining them as well as taking away future draft picks.

The first round just seems excessive to me.

The NHL is littered with undrafted players, it's hardly "keeping young future stars out". Besides, in 2005 they dropped it from 9 rounds to 7 (60 less picks) and no-one said boo, so I'm pretty sure two less picks less in four years shouldn't cause too dramatic of an impact. Don't you think?

Edited by Doggy

Is it possible for the Devils to argue this punishment? This seems in no way fair to them. They certainly aren't the first team to circumvent and the NHL pretty much agrees with that assessment based on their looking into Luongo's and Hossa's contracts, as well as the fact that the amended rules go against multiple players' contracts throughout the league (which are being grandfathered in, apparently). If punishments are going out, why only the Devils? If you can't rightfully justify punishing all teams that circumvented the cap (which you can't) then don't punish anyone.

Edited by Echolalia

I'm pretty sure that lost draft picks go into the ethosphere with the other sock that doesn't come out of the dryer with its mate.

Stupid to do this to the Devils. Tell them yes or no, and then let them go on their way.