47 replies to this topic

#1 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

http://redwings.nhl....s.htm?id=537445

The two new teammates spoke with one another on the ice following Tuesday’s practice, but did not discuss the 1999 hit, Salei said.

“I think it’s more of a personal thing between me and him and not for media to discuss,” Salei said. “I don’t think it will be any distraction in any way for us. It won’t be a big deal.

“We really haven’t spoken to each other. It’s probably the highlight that we have with each other. We’re all competitive people and obviously when you play for the same team you want to be best teammates as you possibly can, and that’s what I will try to do, and I’m sure Mike is thinking the same way.”

Probably reading too much into this, but it doesn't sound as if Modano and Salei will be getting along very well. Salei basically says "We'll just have to ignore each other and work as best we can."
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#2 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=537445

Probably reading too much into this, but it doesn't sound as if Modano and Salei will be getting along very well. Salei basically says "We'll just have to ignore each other and work as best we can."

Sometimes, some things are better left unsaid.

Contrary to popular belief, not everything needs to be brought out into the open and discussed. They're two old school warriors. It'll be fine.

#3 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

Well, it was 11 years ago, he probably would just rather forget the whole thing, especially now that he is going to have to be watching Mikey's back. I know players have long memories, as do reporters, but at what point does history become history? Imagine if, 5 or 6 years from now, Halvat and Kronwall end up on the same team, do you think either of them are going to want to discuss the hit from '09? My guess is no, they will likely be ready to let by-gones be by-gones and focus on the future.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#4 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:08 PM

I am sure someone will say this is a bad thing, but I can tell you that this is not an uncommon thing. Sure, you want to think that everyone on the team gets along, but that doesn't happen all the time. Even I don't get along with everyone on the teams I play with in rec league hockey. In the end though, you are having fun playing the game as a whole even with those people you don't see eye to eye with. You are all together trying to accomplish a common goal.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#5 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

Sometimes, some things are better left unsaid.

Contrary to popular belief, not everything needs to be brought out into the open and discussed.

Nonsense! Now let's talk about politics and religion!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#6 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

Im not sure that this will even be an issue. If something does happen, I expect the Captains of the team to step in, as well as the coaches! Knowning Babcock, he will not put up with any lockeroom issues like that!

I just think we have too many veterans for anything to boil over on an issue that happened 11 years ago.

I'll tell you all this, I am excited to have Modano here, but I am just as excited to have Salei here as well, as long as he stays healthy! I really think he will bring the grit that Dallas Drake brought a couple years back, eventhough he is a D-Man!

GO WINGS!! 25 days until Opening Night!!!!!

#7 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

I am sure someone will say this is a bad thing, but I can tell you that this is not an uncommon thing. Sure, you want to think that everyone on the team gets along, but that doesn't happen all the time. Even I don't get along with everyone on the teams I play with in rec league hockey. In the end though, you are having fun playing the game as a whole even with those people you don't see eye to eye with. You are all together trying to accomplish a common goal.

And when Salei drops the gloves to defend Modano, it will appear as though all is forgiven. Yea it's going to happen, someone will hit Modano hard into the boards from behind, he'll be fine but Salei will pound that guy old school style. Highlight of the night :P

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:59 PM

There's many instances in NHL history of people becoming friends after not liking each other earlier, or getting into fights with one another.

It's not like Salei kidnapped Modano's family at knifepoint in 1999, or anything like that.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#9 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

It happened a long time ago. Not like it's the first time they meet since the hit. They're professionals.

#10 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

As long as they remember it's about the crest on the front and not the name on the back they will be fine.

#11 zata40

zata40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

does anyone have a video clip of the hit?
Posted Image

#12 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

http://vids.myspace....ideoid=17949205

Scary.

Edited by McAwesome, 14 September 2010 - 06:32 PM.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#13 zata40

zata40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:50 PM

thanks. that Hit was brutal, yikes
Posted Image

#14 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

modano drama beginning already? he better not be a distraction or babs will have his ass in the press box. babs won't care who he is.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#15 PrairieDawg

PrairieDawg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

I thought there was a post earlier around the time that Modano was signed and Modano said him and Salei talked it out and it was no big deal.

#16 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=537445

I don't think he is saying that at all. I think he said we havn't talked about the hit but when you look at the article there is a picture of them two stretching right next to each other. Obviously they are talking. There will be no problems at all. These guys are professionals..

#17 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

As long as Babs is in the same room they'll be preoccupied with other concerns.

Insert death stare here

#18 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:42 PM

Salei and Modano are going to settle this once and for all with a Hungry Hungry Hippos Tournament at an undisclosed diner on Thursday, September 16. Be there or be square.

Posted Image

#19 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

If Dom and Brett Hull could coexist after the '99 Cup Finals, Modano and Salei can.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#20 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

If Dom and Brett Hull could coexist after the '99 Cup Finals, Modano and Salei can.

It's not quite the same thing as scoring a goal.

Hasek couldn't fault Hull for anything he did.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.