PROBIE4PREZ

Article on Downey

Rate this topic

Linky

- He dropped 15 lbs and worked on his hand speed as well as his leg speed

- Chasing poon or hanging out at bars is no longer a high priority for him

- Willing to play ANYWHERE as long as hes in the Wings organization

HES THE DARK HOUSE !!!

If Ritola gets sent down for the season and Miller gets traded would there be a 4th line position for Downey?

Linky

HES THE DARK HOUSE !!!

If Ritola gets sent down for the season and Miller gets traded would there be a 4th line position for Downey?

Sounds like he's got it all working together.

I love the guy. If he's in Toledo, then more power to him. He's doing what he loves and maybe teaching the kids on their way up a thing or two about hockey. :boxing:

I'm not going to be heart broken if he doesn't make it or get any games but I think its time we use a draft pick on someone who can fill that role and home grow someone. Callahan was a start but he's really the only fighter type in the system and he isn't a big guy. I'm not saying I want to draft like the leafs but I sure wouldn't have minded seeing the wings find a way to move up in the second round and get Brad Ross.

Linky

HES THE DARK HOUSE !!!

It's a nice story, but I'm not taking Helm, Abdelkader, or Eaves out to make room for Aaron Downey.

Neither am I, but I think if Downey is improved somewhat he would make a perfect 13th forward because there is going to be injuries and 50 games from Downey wouldnt be bad if you ask me.

Agreed. Although, I'm not sure he would even be 13th because of Draper. Whether that's right is debatable, but the Red Wings won't dress Downey over Draper. It would take a couple injuries like you said because I think the Red Wings are really intent on keeping Miller too.

Edited by GoWings1905

Agreed. Although, I'm not sure he would even be 13th because of Draper. Whether that's right is debatable, but the Red Wings won't dress Downey over Draper. It would take a couple injuries like you said because I think the Red Wings are really intent on keeping Miller too.

I would like to see Downey as the 14th forward. While I don't see him playing above Drapes in normal games, he may be 'needed' in several games throughout the year. With the talent in GR, I don't think Miller or Ritola is needed as the 14th when Draper is available. They would get minimal games behind Drapes, and IMO Downey would be a better option as a possibility on any given night.

I'm not going to be heart broken if he doesn't make it or get any games but I think its time we use a draft pick on someone who can fill that role and home grow someone. Callahan was a start but he's really the only fighter type in the system and he isn't a big guy. I'm not saying I want to draft like the leafs but I sure wouldn't have minded seeing the wings find a way to move up in the second round and get Brad Ross.

I'm really excited to see Callahan develop as well. I agree that we don't need to go crazy and start drafting goons with every pick, but it would be nice if we added a few more bigger and physical guys. As for the draft, I was hoping we'd trade up for Dylan McIlrath, but he went 10th (I think) to the Rangers. That kid is going to be a really good player.

As for Downey, I think it has all been said. We have Abdelkader, Helm, Eaves, Miller, Draper, Maltby and Ritola who will all play before Downey, so I don't really see any spot for him with the Red Wings. He said he'd be happy wherever he plays, as long as he's in the organization, so maybe he can get some ice time in Grand Rapids or below?

I'd actually be totally fine seeing Draper and Downey as the 13th & 14th forwards. I like the idea of having an "enforcer" type player handy, as they can be inserted into the line-up when the need arises. If we could get a pick for a trade of Miller and Ritola I'd be all for it.

However, I'm almost positive that at least one of those two will be retained, and that Downey will spend most of his time in the AHL. Miller has shown himself to be a capable bottom six forward, and Ritola has some untapped potential, though I still think he's a dime a dozen player. That's just my opinion on him.