• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Lilja gets training camp invitation to Sharks

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Salei-Janik > Lilja-Ericsson

*Note: Salei healthy and playing at his top, Janik just SOLID versus Lilja-Ericsson pair from last year

I'm not saying this is a Quincey situation (OMG WE LOST QUINCEY NUUU). I'm just saying the fact that Lilja was considered useless by this board and that Ericsson's higher ceiling would mean he would have to improve this season makes me want to see him thrive in San Jose (assuming he gets a contraact).

It would be great to see Lilja say "See? I was worth SOMETHING good" with his performance this season.

Oh I completely agree. Anyone on this board that couldn't/didn't see how effective Lilja was in his role for the price tag we had him for is off their rocker. Now that being said, I understand the hesitation on Kenny's part to offer Lilja what he was looking for given not only the fact that they brought in Salei for less then what he was looking for but also due to Lilja's concussion situation and the potential problem it could present. Had Lilja never gotten that concussion, I could very-well have seen Kenny re-signing Lils for his standard $1.25 million.

As far as Lilja saying, "See? I was worth SOMETHING good," I don't believe Kenny didn't think he was worth something good. I just think his decision to offer what he did was solely based on the questionable status of his health after his year-long layoff from a concussion. Basically, if Kenny felt he could bring in a replacement that would be similar to Lilja's ability, veteran status, and for the the same amount (or slightly less) money while at the same time not having to worry about the question marks surrounding his concussion.....he would "jump in it."

direcTV-opulence.jpg

I was searching around to get a status update on Lilja and found this. He still doesnt have more then a try-out contract but this looks encouraging for him making the Sharks.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/2010/09/30/andreas-lilja-will-be-on-the-plane-to-europe-but-still-without-a-contract-for-the-coming-season/

Also read an article about how the Ragers need Left Handed D-men. If anyone will overpay a players worth its the Rangers ;-)

No contract for Lilja. :(

Why the hell did they take him to Europe then? Just to make him hop a plane back to the US to gather his family?!? I hope Holland and Detroit offer him a 2-way contract and he agrees to go to GR as opposed to going overseas, but I think he is SEL bound :/

I would laugh my friggin' ass off if Lils got a contract with the Sharks and had a better year than Ericsson.

Why would you laugh, we offered Lils a contract, he thought he could do better on the open market. He should be here, it's his fault. I am also willing to bet his contract ends up less than what the Wings offered.

Salei-Janik > Lilja-Ericsson

*Note: Salei healthy and playing at his top, Janik just SOLID versus Lilja-Ericsson pair from last year

Strange how Holland keeps waiving Janik then. Wonder why that is?

And don't forget last season he was behind Ericsson (even as poorly as he was playing), Lebda, and Meech in the lineup.

Don't get me wrong, Janik was great as a plug, but unless he makes some major transformation as a 30 year old, that's about all he is at the NHL level. Which is why it's unlikely he'll get picked up off waivers.

Oh I completely agree. Anyone on this board that couldn't/didn't see how effective Lilja was in his role for the price tag we had him for is off their rocker. Now that being said, I understand the hesitation on Kenny's part to offer Lilja what he was looking for given not only the fact that they brought in Salei for less then what he was looking for but also due to Lilja's concussion situation and the potential problem it could present. Had Lilja never gotten that concussion, I could very-well have seen Kenny re-signing Lils for his standard $1.25 million.

As far as Lilja saying, "See? I was worth SOMETHING good," I don't believe Kenny didn't think he was worth something good. I just think his decision to offer what he did was solely based on the questionable status of his health after his year-long layoff from a concussion. Basically, if Kenny felt he could bring in a replacement that would be similar to Lilja's ability, veteran status, and for the the same amount (or slightly less) money while at the same time not having to worry about the question marks surrounding his concussion.....he would "jump in it."

Exactly.

I hadn't heard anything that gave me the impression the Wings thought he was washed up. It sounded like Lillypads wanted more money and more playing time. But he was asking for those things at an odd time considering he is still coming back from a long layoff from the concussion.

I can understand wanting some job security, but it seems like the better route might have been to take a short term contract to prove himself again post-concussion.

And I have to say, it's amusing to see how much support Lilja gets these days considering his first couple seasons he was getting the same crap Ericsson is now, if not worse.

Lilja must have some serious health concerns from that concussion that is not fully disclosed - there is simply no doubt in my mind he is a more than capable NHLer. Feel bad for him.

Guest mindfly

And don't forget last season he was behind Ericsson (even as poorly as he was playing), Lebda, and Meech in the lineup.

Don't get me wrong, Janik was great as a plug, but unless he makes some major transformation as a 30 year old, that's about all he is at the NHL level. Which is why it's unlikely he'll get picked up off waivers.

To fix the issues short term, Janik is the answer, you get simple plays and less turnovers than with ericsson, to me the choice is obvious, i dont care if ericsson is younger and has shown better potential and has better highest level, it's about making simple plays being physical take care of your own end and being consistent

Edited by mindfly

To fix the issues short term, Janik is the answer, you get simple plays and less turnovers than with ericsson, to me the choice is obvious, i dont care if ericsson is younger and has shown better potential and has better highest level, it's about making simple plays being physical take care of your own end and being consistent

Janik played 13 games for Detroit, averaging thirteen and a half minutes a game. So your opinion is based on 175 minutes of hockey.

Ericsson was called upon last season to play an average of 16:42 minutes per game, for 62 games. 1,035 minutes last season alone. Not exactly the same thing. Plus Ericsson was used on the PK, and Janik never played a second on it.

Remember what a stud Ericsson looked like for those few playoff games? You need a bigger sample to really say that Janik would make less turnovers and that it's an obvious choice.

If it's so obvious, why is he waived? Why was he behind Ericsson, who was playing poorly, Lebda, Meech, etc?

It's like how everyone loves the backup goalie when he comes in halfway through a game and plays great for 26 minutes. Suddenly he should be the starter.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest mindfly

Because Babcock has got manlove for ericsson? :scared: i dont base it just on the games with detroit, he looked decent in the few stints with other nhl teams as well, the bottom line is, for the time being ericsson isn't the most suitable player for the 6th dman spot, let him get his head straight and let Janik play until he figured it out.

Edited by mindfly

Because Babcock has got manlove for ericsson? :scared: i dont base it just on the games with detroit, he looked decent in the few stints with other nhl teams as well, the bottom line is, for the time being ericsson isn't the most suitable player for the 6th dman spot, let him get his head straight and let Janik play until he figured it out.

oh, the 15 games he played in '09 between Dallas and Montreal? That changes everything. I bet you couldn't name where he played before that without looking.

Ericsson maybe isn't the best guy for the 6th spot, but Janik has done little to prove he is either. He just looks better because we didn't see as much of him and he was asked to do a lot less.

Kind of a dick move to bring Lilja all the way over to Europe just to not give him a contract. I'd like to see another team toss him a deal, but who knows. If he agreed to take a 2-way deal and go to G.R. that would be awesome. I'd kind of hate to see him go overseas, but that might be the most likely scenario now.

You could not have stated that any better - every single part of this post is dead on.

Guest mindfly

oh, the 15 games he played in '09 between Dallas and Montreal? That changes everything. I bet you couldn't name where he played before that without looking.

Ericsson maybe isn't the best guy for the 6th spot, but Janik has done little to prove he is either. He just looks better because we didn't see as much of him and he was asked to do a lot less.

Tampa he looked alright even though he played on a s***ty team.

Kind of a dick move to bring Lilja all the way over to Europe just to not give him a contract. I'd like to see another team toss him a deal, but who knows. If he agreed to take a 2-way deal and go to G.R. that would be awesome. I'd kind of hate to see him go overseas, but that might be the most likely scenario now.

I have a bad feeling his career in the NHL is over now... sucks, he still has some good hockey in him I think... I bet he signs in the SEL in the next couple of weeks :(

Edited by stevkrause