• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
egroen

Who do and did you hate more?

Rate this topic

I took the loss to the Ducks in 07 pretty hard and hated that team with a decent amount of passion - and also into our 09 series with them. Some of the characters on that team were simply dirty and arrogant and there was a lot of satisfaction in the old/soft/euro Wings beating the latest version of the Broadstreet Bullies (again).

But the loss in 09 was harder than 07, and while I may have hated the players for the Ducks more (If Crosby played for the Ducks he would only be my "5th Most Hated" on that team), but the fact the Penguins were so universally heralded as the defining dynasty of modern times really set my teeth grinding. The observation that almost every single league and official deciding that year invloving the two teams seemed to overwhelmingly favor Sidney and his Argonauts also fried my nerves. The Hossa subplot was an annoying distraction and I really hated that 'the league was right' in who to back.

Losing to the Sharks this year barely registers as a blip (Wings did not deserve that series at all, even with the reffing) compared to those two, and of course neither the Ducks nor Penguins remotely compare to the seering hatred I felt for the Avalanche.

Honestly, the loss to the Pens was the worst, and way more disappointing. Hence, I hate them more.

The loss in 2007 to the Ducks was tough to take, especially since I think we'd win the Cup if that puck didn't bounce of Lidstrom's stick in game 5. We'd have won that series and handled Ottawa easily in the Finals.

Still, for the reasons you described above, plus choking in game 7 at home, make the Pens a team much easier to hate.

All the losses are hard to take, though. The one in 1999 was disappointing (up 2-0 against the Dives and heading home. No 3-peat). The embarrassing losses in 2003, 2004 and 2006 also stand out, because we lost to teams we were far more talented than. Also, who can forget about 1996?

Maybe that's why I hate every team except the Wings. We have a history in the playoffs with pretty much everyone out West.

Maybe that's why I hate every team except the Wings. We have a history in the playoffs with pretty much everyone out West.

Tampa Bay has managed to not piss me off yet, and the fact our away games there sound and look like home games makes me think the Lightning, with Yzerman running things now and at least for a little while, will escape my mountain-shattering wrath :ranting:

Edited by egroen

Tampa Bay has managed to not piss me off yet, and the fact our away games there sound and look like home games makes me think the Lightning, with Yzerman running things now and at least for a little while, will escape my mountain-shattering wrath :ranting:

Well, I guess now that I think about it, I don't hate them either, but does anyone hate any team playing in the Southeast division?

I confess, I have a Pens jersey with "Jagr" on the back. He was the gateway to me loving the sport of hockey. I don't hate the Pens, I dislike the players. But moreso, I hate the un-necessary fawning the media gives to the team. If the media in general would just back off, I don't think the team would be as hated.

That said, I think Crosby's a total whiney douchebag.

Ducks don't bother me at all. I've seen them play several times in Nashville and I don't have any hate for them. Especially now that Pronger's gone. :D

I respected the Ducks. They surprised everyone in '03, didn't win, but continued to improve their team and became annual contenders until they eventually won a Cup.

The Penguins, on the other hand, were built entirely on the sports equivalent of welfare. They got all of their players through high draft picks rewarded for being a terrible team, plus a league-coddled superstar (who, keep in mind, could have gone to a different city were it not for the lockout).

At least in 09 we got some revenge on Anaheim in a hard fought series. Right now the Pens series stings more, and it will continue to sting until we meet them again in the finals and beat them as we should have in 09.

I never thought I would stop hating the Aves, but alas, I really have no dislike for them anymore. That rivalry was the best when it was going, but since all the players are gone from the Aves, and most are gone from Detroit, its just not the same. Even when we faced them in 08, I didn't feel any particular animosity towards them.

Right now, the Hawks are my least favorite team.

Honestly, the loss to the Pens was the worst, and way more disappointing. Hence, I hate them more.

The loss in 2007 to the Ducks was tough to take, especially since I think we'd win the Cup if that puck didn't bounce of Lidstrom's stick in game 5. We'd have won that series and handled Ottawa easily in the Finals.

Still, for the reasons you described above, plus choking in game 7 at home, make the Pens a team much easier to hate.

All the losses are hard to take, though. The one in 1999 was disappointing (up 2-0 against the Dives and heading home. No 3-peat). The embarrassing losses in 2003, 2004 and 2006 also stand out, because we lost to teams we were far more talented than. Also, who can forget about 1996?

Yeah, what he said!

While the Pens piss me off, and Crybaby Crosby makes me cringe, I still hate the Ducks more. 2009 was bad, but the Wings had two chances to put it away. The Ducks are a goon squad extraordinaire, and I love watching the Wings kick their ass.

That being said, the Avs will always be my #1 hated team.

I think the Pens and their incredible draft "luck" from a few years ago deserve the most hatred. As others have stated, the constant fawning and quite embarrassing over-coverage of the Pens has only raised my hatred for them ten-fold. Coach Bylsma is from my home town, so he's their only redeeming quality in my opinion. The Ducks used to have my ire, as they were nothing but a goon squad, but times change.

Edited by thegerkin

hands down, without a question, it has to be the Avs...

someone said it earlier when they said they dont hate the pens but hate the players. That can be said about 28 other teams in the league, there are players you hate, yet there are players on that same team that you like. I think even in a pens jersey alot of folks like Staal, but in any jersey outside of a Detroit one (excuse me I just threw up in my mouth a bit) everyone would hate Crosby still. The list of players you hate goes on, but in the late 90's and earlier 2000's and even into today a bit, no matter who puts on that Avs jersey, you automatically have to hate them. That's the one team, that it doesn't matter who is wearing it, you always hate them. Joe Sakic is a very great respectable player, but you hate him. The likes of Lemieux, Roy, Deadmarsh, Ricci, Forsberg, Foote, Kamensky, Krupp, etc.... tainted that jersey so bad, that one of our own would go there, you'd hate them. For pete's sake, Ray Bourque turned into a s*** sucker when he put that jersey on. I think the feeling is mutual with them and thier fans, think about this (with the exception of Krupp (and we see how that worked out)) not one player has played for both teams. It's called the Krupp Kurse now, it's an omen for a Red Wing to wear that jersery or an Av to wear ours. No player will even try it again. Hell, Forsberg was so afraid to wear our jersey (not that we seriously wanted him) he went to Nashville instead. They haven't traded with one another, they don't do business together. I think the owners hate each other. There is no player in this league today, that if they wore the Avs jersey, I could ever, ever like.

...I can deal with the Pens, the Preds, the Ducks and the Hawks (minus certain players of course) but the Avs have to be my biggest hatred of any one team in the NHL. (I hate Crosby more, but he is not one team (even though he thinks he is.))

EDIT: and of course as soon as I finished this post, I am reminded that Salei once played for the Avs. I hope he doesn't suffer from the Krupp Kurse this season...

Edited by LeftWinger

I think the Pens and their incredible draft "luck" from a few years ago deserve the most hatred. As others have stated, the constant fawning and quite embarrassing over-coverage of the Pens has only raised my hatred for them ten-fold. Coach Bylsma is from my home town, so he's their only redeeming quality in my opinion. The Ducks used to have my ire, as they were nothing but a goon squad, but times change.

...well again, you are hating a person. If the Bluejackets had that same "luck" that year, you'd be seeing Columbus all over the TV since they are marketing Crosby. So you're hated for him, fuels your dislike for the pens. Another user said about Pronger, same thing, you hate him so much that you would turn that hate for him into dislike for the team.

Guest Shoreline

I was really into the Avs/Wings rivalry back in the 90s to a point where I'd have an adrenaline rush before the game out of anticipation and nervousness. Today, I don't feel a thing. The rivalry is gone.

I'd say the Penguins now only because the loss is still fresh in my mind, but I think a few years down the road I'll still not like the Ducks with a passion. Ever since they had their successful season following our Wings' cup win with Hull/Robitaille/Hasek I've pretty much despised them and their fairweather fanbase in general.

i hate the ducks with a passion. i also hated colorado with a passion...the pens...it is hard for me to hate some of their talented forwards...granted, i was so upset for the loss....but i ******* hate the ducks... especially pronger.

I think i would have to say the Penguins, but not because of the loss to them. I just hate the crybaby attitude of the entire team and the fans for that matter. Make no mistake, Captain Sandy Crysby is by far the worst of the bunch, but he's not the only one. Every game i see them play, they are always whining about everything that doesn't go thier way. It doesn't stop there though, it continues up into the stands, and to the homes where the HIGHER THAN MIGHTY fans of the Penguins reside. According to what i hear from Pen's fans i know, they have never lost a game fairly....every time they lose...its because they got "screwed over", never because they played poorly or because the other team was better....its always the same crybaby BS.

Speaking of Crysby....can we get a petition together to send to the Center Ice HQ, why is it that they can't play one commercial that doesn't have him in it....what gives....the year after Detroit won the cup...Center Ice commercials made it look like the Pen's won, and I see its continued this year...just saw my first Center Ice commercial advertising the upcomming season and sure as s*** its a video of Crosby scoring a goal against......The Wings.....WTF? SERIOUSLY WTF? I'M SURE AFTER WE WIN THE CUP THIS YEAR, WE'LL STILL HAVE TO SIT THROUGH IT ALL AGAIN NEXT YEAR...