• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Babcock to Change Defense Pairings

Rate this topic

I'm always hesitant to change something that works, and the old pairings have worked fine for us. However, I do think that these new pairings will work really well. It gives the top two pairings one offensive-minded guy (Lidstrom and Rafalski) and one tougher, more physical guy (Kronwall and Stuart). I'm not sure about the Ericsson with Salei. They're both solid players, but as far as I can tell, neither are particularly mobile.

I'm always hesitant to change something that works, and the old pairings have worked fine for us. However, I do think that these new pairings will work really well. It gives the top two pairings one offensive-minded guy (Lidstrom and Rafalski) and one tougher, more physical guy (Kronwall and Stuart). I'm not sure about the Ericsson with Salei. They're both solid players, but as far as I can tell, neither are particularly mobile.

The old pairings needed work and you could see it during games last year.

Lids-Ericsson

Raf- Stuart

Kronwall- Salei

I think its past time to let Kronwall have a little more offensive freedom.

The old pairings needed work and you could see it during games last year.

Lids-Ericsson

Raf- Stuart

Kronwall- Salei

I think its past time to let Kronwall have a little more offensive freedom.

Are those the lines that you would like to see? Or what you expect to see?

I've been a HUGE proponent of this change since the start of last season and I'm STOKED Babs is making this change... just when I think this off-season can't get any better, this news comes out!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by stevkrause

Kronwall isn't getting paid $3 mil to play on the bottom pair.

What is your definition of bottom pair? Is it someone who plays against other teams' worst offensive lines? If so, then I agree: Kronwall isn't getting paid to play on the bottom pair.

If your definition refers to defensmen who will play 8-10 minutes tops in a game, then I have to bring up that Babs is insisting that all defensmen average out to about 20 min per game this year so young guys can develop and old guys won't get worn out come playoff time.

Guest mindfly

What is your definition of bottom pair? Is it someone who plays against other teams' worst offensive lines? If so, then I agree: Kronwall isn't getting paid to play on the bottom pair.

If your definition refers to defensmen who will play 8-10 minutes tops in a game, then I have to bring up that Babs is insisting that all defensmen average out to about 20 min per game this year so young guys can develop and old guys won't get worn out come playoff time.

Are there any other teams who run 3 pairs at 20mins per pair in the NHL?

Are there any other teams who run 3 pairs at 20mins per pair in the NHL?

Probably not, but we have the depth to do it, so why not? It's not a guarantee that they will all play exactly 20 minutes each night either. It may average out to that, but if we're in a close game in the 3rd period and Lidstrom has already played 20 minutes, Babcock wont care - he's going back in.

I think this could be a good thing for this team as it means the older guys get plenty of rest, and the young guys get more minutes than they would on most teams, which will only help their development. By young guys I am referring to Ericsson and Kindl and/or Smith if they get called up.

Edited by TNBT

“That’s how it’s going to be to start,” Babcock said. “And now, maybe it’s Ericsson with Nick and maybe it’s Salei with Kronwall or something like that, but it’s not going to be Nick and Rafi, because I want those (forwards) to be looking up ice and getting an over-pass from a young guy.”

Read more: Red Wings coach plans new defensive pairings | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20100917/SPORTS05/100917044/1053/sports05#ixzz0zp1ujrG5

I don't quite understand the bolded part. Who does he want what from a young guy?

Guest mindfly

I don't quite understand the bolded part. Who does he want what from a young guy?

Word up, I don't get it either :huh::unsure::blink: