Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#22 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 565 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

I like this!
A scorer and a strong guy on both lines!

The season can start now!

#23 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

We can call the 2nd defensive pairing line the "Stufalski" pairing. :cool:
  • Ram likes this

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#24 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

ďThatís how itís going to be to start,Ē Babcock said. ďAnd now, maybe itís Ericsson with Nick and maybe itís Salei with Kronwall or something like that, but itís not going to be Nick and Rafi, because I want those (forwards) to be looking up ice and getting an over-pass from a young guy

Read more: Red Wings coach plans new defensive pairings | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com...5#ixzz0zp1ujrG5

I don't quite understand the bolded part. Who does he want what from a young guy?

#25 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

I don't quite understand the bolded part. Who does he want what from a young guy?

Word up, I don't get it either :huh: :unsure: :blink:

#26 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:09 PM

With lids back there kronner should be more comfortable making his highlight hits

#27 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

Sounds like he wants them to work on the interstate to me. Maybe he's fed up with 75.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#28 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

No way in this world Babs has time but sometimes I kind of wonder if he reads LGW.com. I mean, reuniting Pav and Z, splitting Nick and Rafi. What's going on with him? Hehe.

In all reality though I think he might be letting the players have more input for this year since they're a lot healthier and better overall.

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the Nick and Rafi split though.

The situation is good for Kronwall since he always seems to play with good confidence when aside Lidstrom. They'll need Kronwall to get a good start to build confidence.

The situation can be good for Rafalski since he'll get the puck a lot more and that always seems to build confidence for players like him. We might see him play a little closer to the level he was at during the Olympics. At the same time, if Rafi gets to play with the puck more then does that mean more frustrating turnovers and giveaways?

#29 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:11 AM

Priming Kronner to be the #1 of the future.

If Kronner is a future #1 we have big issues.
*this space for rent*

#30 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:28 AM

I like this a lot, for several reasons.

Rafalski - has noticably slowed the last couple of years and gets beat to the outside far, far too easily. I don't see him as a top pairing defenceman anymore

Kronwall - Despite the poster above me says, at some point this guy is going to have to a top-pair guy. May as well stick him alongside Lidstrom before he retires and its all too late. And lets not forget, he was playing terrific before the injury last year. I just hope he refinds his shot, because it was the best I've ever seen him shoot it - hard and accurate.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#31 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:22 AM

YAY!

Rafalski hurts the top pairing. Two playmakers doesn't make sense unless it's a powerplay, and Rafalski should be paired with a shooter.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty, 18 September 2010 - 03:25 AM.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy. (Jordin Tootoo, wish granted)

#32 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:20 AM

Remove the "(forwards)" and it makes more sense I think. He's talking about how he wants Nick and Raffi to have a younger guy next to them, maybe to keep them on their toes or to give them new energy. Atleast that's my take.

#33 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

To be honest I kinda see the Lidstrom/Ericsson pairing as having the same results as to what we had seen in 2006 when Lidstrom was paired with Lilja.

I'd much rather see Lids/Kronner, Stewie/Rafs, and Eric/Sal as our pairings.

I'm hoping with that we can get the Ericsson from the 09 playoffs. I believe the level he played at during that playoff year was his max potential.

#34 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

I'm hoping with that we can get the Ericsson from the 09 playoffs. I believe the level he played at during that playoff year was his max potential.

If that's the case we should ship him now. He wasn't THAT great.

#35 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,822 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:47 PM

If that's the case we should ship him now. He wasn't THAT great.

Disagree. Ericsson was money in the 09 playoffs, 3rd best d-man IMO. I dont think he'll play like that again, but I think he can rebound this season.

#NOMOREKINDL

#36 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

Disagree. Ericsson was money in the 09 playoffs, 3rd best d-man IMO. I dont think he'll play like that again, but I think he can rebound this season.

Don't get me wrong. He played well. But I, personally, expect more from him.

#37 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

I believe the level he played at during that playoff year was his max potential.

To think that a player reached his potential after playing 27 NHL games is kind of silly.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#38 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,554 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

Looks good. The only thing that gives pause is Stuart moving to his off side on Defense.

As for the Babcock quote, I just took it to mean he wanted the younger defenseman to become better puck movers too and not just rely on the Lids and Raf for the first pass.

#39 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

It's like Babcock came to LGW and said, "You know what, I'm going to give you people what you want".

Thank-you Mike.

He's going to sign 10 enforcers?

I like this a lot, for several reasons.

Rafalski - has noticably slowed the last couple of years and gets beat to the outside far, far too easily. I don't see him as a top pairing defenceman anymore

Kronwall - Despite the poster above me says, at some point this guy is going to have to a top-pair guy. May as well stick him alongside Lidstrom before he retires and its all too late. And lets not forget, he was playing terrific before the injury last year. I just hope he refinds his shot, because it was the best I've ever seen him shoot it - hard and accurate.

You must not have watched the Winter Olympics where he won the award for the best d-man in the tounament. You know the tornament composed of the best hockey players in the world. But you think that he has noticably slowed? yea, ok
Do or do not. There is no try

#40 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

you must not have watched the 82 game NHL season where his play wasn't anywhere close to where it was during the Olympics<br>

Edited by Stolberg, 18 September 2010 - 05:21 PM.