• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
spongebob is a wings fan

going to the Joe for the first time

Rate this topic

hey everybody this season i managed to get tickets to the home opener. first time going to Detroit im coming from Hamilton Ontario just wondering if there are great places to eat near the Joe since im shuttling in from Windsor i will be on foot. would love to hear any suggestions thanks

GO WINGS GO!!!!

walk over to greektown which is about a mile from the tunnel and eat there. they have a bunch of restaurants around there and most of them run free or cheap shuttles to the joe. you can even bring your drink on the bus too.

1. Fishbones - great southern style seafood

2. Pizza Papalis - Best deep dish pizza ive ever had with exception to chicago pizzas

3. Pegasus or New Parthenon - Good greek food

4. Monroe St. Grill - great steaks but pricey

Fishbones is the only one of the above that run a shuttle I believe. Theres a bar called the old shelleigh (sp?) that runs a free shuttle to the joe and thats usually what I do.

love greek food thats a good possibility how far is hockeytown cafe form the Joe i know i will have a good time i have a good time when i watch them on television i seen the wings about 10 years back when they came to Hamilton for a preseason game very surprised of the amount of Red wing fans in our city

Yeah, I suggest jumping on the people mover at the Joe, and taking that to whatever destination you want. Greektown is good, as said above. Pegasus and Parthenon both offer good Greek food. Nikki's is right there if you want pizza, they have a delicious pie. Loco's, right across from Nikki's, has Tex-Mex food.

Detroit Beer Company has some decent food, and good microbrew to boot. Of course, there's always Cheli's Chili and Hockeytown cafe by Comerica Park.

love greek food thats a good possibility how far is hockeytown cafe form the Joe i know i will have a good time i have a good time when i watch them on television i seen the wings about 10 years back when they came to Hamilton for a preseason game very surprised of the amount of Red wing fans in our city

Hockeytown Cafe is on the other side of downtown from the Joe, but just take the people mover over to the broadway or grand circus park stations, and walk north and woodward.

ya hockeytown is a good choice if you dont mind going on the other side of town (no sarcasm intended). they have decent food but the real treat is walking around the little exhibits that have tons of history about the wings and other all stars. i have a feeling that place is gonna be a zoo from the people not going to the game so id get there early.

I'd highly suggest taking a 5 minute walk to and from the joe to the core of downtown, and hitting up Lafayette Coney Island.

if you want detroit food, thats detroit food.

and served by the most epic greek dudes ever.

its like our poutine.

Todd Bertuzzi and a dozen or so other wings fully support this establishment in the form of framed pics on the wall too :thumbup:

2ez0eg4.jpg

and you can always trust the mustache:

miyq69.jpg

theyve also been featured on the food network and travel channel, along with the neighboring "american coney island".

they debate over who was in detroit first, and its been almost a 100 year thing of this coney rivalry.

but trust lafayette to deliver the goods, and the mustaches.

heres the food wars episode with both of them. american ends up winning in a tie breaker, but food wars is not to be trusted.

trust the mustache.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO3_0qlcN2k

I'd highly suggest taking a 5 minute walk to and from the joe to the core of downtown, and hitting up Lafayette Coney Island.

if you want detroit food, thats detroit food.

and served by the most epic greek dudes ever.

its like our poutine.

Todd Bertuzzi and a dozen or so other wings fully support this establishment in the form of framed pics on the wall too :thumbup:

and you can always trust the mustache:

theyve also been featured on the food network and travel channel, along with the neighboring "american coney island".

they debate over who was in detroit first, and its been almost a 100 year thing of this coney rivalry.

but trust lafayette to deliver the goods, and the mustaches.

heres the food wars episode with both of them. american ends up winning in a tie breaker, but food wars is not to be trusted.

trust the mustache.

Food Wars is BS. That Rachel Ray wannabe wouldn't know a good dog if it smacked her upside the head. The fact that some snooty food critic broke the tie is reason enough to throw the results out the window! :ranting:

Lafayette FTW :thumbup:

Food Wars is BS. That Rachel Ray wannabe wouldn't know a good dog if it smacked her upside the head. The fact that some snooty food critic broke the tie is reason enough to throw the results out the window! :ranting:

Lafayette FTW :thumbup:

Personally I say American out of the two but the best is Zorba's on Junction and Michigan.

walk over to greektown which is about a mile from the tunnel and eat there. they have a bunch of restaurants around there and most of them run free or cheap shuttles to the joe. you can even bring your drink on the bus too.

1. Fishbones - great southern style seafood

2. Pizza Papalis - Best deep dish pizza ive ever had with exception to chicago pizzas

3. Pegasus or New Parthenon - Good greek food

4. Monroe St. Grill - great steaks but pricey

Fishbones is the only one of the above that run a shuttle I believe. Theres a bar called the old shelleigh (sp?) that runs a free shuttle to the joe and thats usually what I do.

Hey Kids... WOW.. what a game last night.. we were lucky enough to be at the opening game of the season last night, the Pavel and Mo party!!!! It seemed like the ice was tilted in detroit's favor... but as we saw.. Anaheim just flat out sucked. Still an amazing game to be at, with Mo's first goal as a wing and well the whole Pavel Holyfield display!! We went out to dinner first at the old New Parthenon on a suggestion from a friend... which i have to was not what i was expecting.. seemed a little run down .. but the food was awesome!!! We didn't order.. we had the waiter do it all for us and he was really good to us!! Food and service was great.. so if you get chance .. try it out!!!!