• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

crotty99

HBO to film Pens - Caps

Rate this topic

It's said to be in a similar style to HBOs "Hard Knocks" Series. I'm sure some of you will be annoyed with the teams involved (or atleast one of them) but I'm really looking forward to it :thumbup:.

Would be awesome if they made this a yearly thing featuring different teams.

Source:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10266/1089756-61.stm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/HBO-tabs-Capitals-Penguins-Classic-for-Hard-Kno?urn=nhl-271741

This will be fun to watch.

I can't wait to see the montage of Crosby and Ovechkin's pregame rituals. Crosby will be pouring over notes about his opponent while jogging in place and listening to some inspirational 80's music, taking every second seriously and professionally, while Ovechkin will show up to the locker-room late wearing sunglasses with 5 chicks hanging all over him.

This will be fun to watch.

I can't wait to see the montage of Crosby and Ovechkin's pregame rituals. Crosby will be pouring over notes about his opponent while jogging in place and listening to some inspirational 80's music, taking every second seriously and professionally, while Ovechkin will show up to the locker-room late wearing sunglasses with 5 chicks hanging all over him.

:yowza:

good thing i don't get HBO then. I just would like it if they followed around most of the other teams to, kinda like a deadliest catch type of thing. I mean they got the Northwestern and Cornelia Marie that draw the most attention and popularity but the other boats do too.

Edited by HockeyTownHouligan

Crosberry is boring. Malkin is boring. Fleury sounds like a weenie. Ovie is an over the top corny ass clown on camera. Semin? Backstrom? does HBO have any idea how much of a snooze-fest this is gonna be? all the more reason that NHL players should have a portion of their media training taught by WWE entertainers...

Edited by soultrain

Maybe it's because I live in a hockey starved country but shows like this are really exciting to me. I used to watch all the NHL network "day in the life" type videos that I could find, regardless of who the player was. The chance to get a closer look at the ins and outs of an NHL team is awesome. Not to mention it's a hbo production so you know it will at least have high production values. Even if they decided to do an in-depth feature on the Nashville predators playing the Florida panthers, I'd watch the hell out of it.

This will be a pretty good show to watch... HBO makes really good documentaries so I think this will be pretty entertaining.

HBO will have to work real hard to make Crosberry and Milkin entertaining...off the ice i mean.

Maybe it's because I live in a hockey starved country but shows like this are really exciting to me. I used to watch all the NHL network "day in the life" type videos that I could find, regardless of who the player was. The chance to get a closer look at the ins and outs of an NHL team is awesome. Not to mention it's a hbo production so you know it will at least have high production values. Even if they decided to do an in-depth feature on the Nashville predators playing the Florida panthers, I'd watch the hell out of it.

Don't feel like you're alone.

I'm really looking forward to it. I loved Hard knocks for the Jets, so I'm really interested to see how the show translates to the hockey side.

Here is some more information via PuckDaddy.

Having talked to the Washington Capitals, HBO executives, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and a few others today, a few thoughts and news bits about the four-week "24/7 Penguins/Capitals: Road To The NHL Winter Classic" series debuting in December.

• As we thought, the partnership was born from the outstanding match between the NHL and HBO on the "Broad Street Bullies" documentary.

• It will be uncensored. No bleeps. No voice-overs swapping out an expletive for "fudge." Finally, after 33 years, the NHL has embraced the "Slap Shot" aesthetic. "Bulletin to the American public: People curse," said Ross Greenburg of HBO, adding that profanities are never included simply for "shock value."

• Greenburg said the production team will "abide by" the requests from the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals not to film during any "strategic" meetings that would put them at a competitive disadvantage. But HBO will have total editorial control over "24/7." (Hopefully this doesn't mean the teams will shut out the cameras by having more "strategic meetings" than the Pentagon.)

• I asked Bettman about fan backlash over overexposure of the Alex Ovechkin(notes) vs. Sidney Crosby(notes) rivalry. It's something I don't believe hinders the NHL's ability to market the rivalry or score huge ratings with it; but there's certainly a "what about the rest of the League?" frustration among a vocal minority of fans. Does Bettman, and will the show, take that under consideration? Here's Bettman:

"I actually think you wrote that today, and I'm not a big fan necessarily of self-fulfilling prophecies. I don't think it's been overdone. I think it's a fascinating, interesting story. People also wrote when they both got eliminated from the playoffs last year [that] we were done. And then we went on and had perhaps the most successful Stanley Cup Final that we've ever had. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I happen to not share yours."

Greenburg then said that this will not be the "Alex Ovechkin/Sidney Crosby show," that they'll not focus the show on just two players because "that would be moronic." (Listening, NBC?)

][/b]• I asked Bettman about fan backlash over overexposure of the Alex Ovechkin(notes) vs. Sidney Crosby(notes) rivalry. It's something I don't believe hinders the NHL's ability to market the rivalry or score huge ratings with it; but there's certainly a "what about the rest of the League?" frustration among a vocal minority of fans. Does Bettman, and will the show, take that under consideration? Here's Bettman:

A vocal minority? Really?

"I actually think you wrote that today, and I'm not a big fan necessarily of self-fulfilling prophecies. I don't think it's been overdone.

Of course he would think that. He can't get enough of Crybaby 87.

I think it's a fascinating, interesting story. People also wrote when they both got eliminated from the playoffs last year [that] we were done. And then we went on and had perhaps the most successful Stanley Cup Final that we've ever had. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I happen to not share yours.

And yet, it still couldn't beat basketball in the ratings.

This is major deja vu for me...last year, they did one of these 24/7 things on NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson, and everybody had the same exact complaint: "Holy crap, we have to hear MORE about Jimmie Johnson? I can't take it anymore!" Also, Jimmie Johnson is just about the nicest, classiest guy in the world, and people were STILL fed up with hearing about him. You tell me there isn't a problem with overexposure in sports in general right now.

Also, while I'm glad they're focusing on everybody on each team for the Caps' sake, I'm not sure I want to hear less about Crosby and more about Cooke/Orpik/Talbot/etc. They're not as overexposed, of course, but unless someone smashes a pie in Cooke's face, I'm not really interested in what he has for breakfast.

Edited by MulesWillFly93

I'm not sure I want to hear less about Crosby and more about Cooke/Orpik/Talbot/etc. They're not as overexposed, of course, but unless someone smashes a pie in Cooke's face, I'm not really interested in what he has for breakfast.

Switch 'pie' with 'brick' and I'd watch.

good thing i don't get HBO then. I just would like it if they followed around most of the other teams to, kinda like a deadliest catch type of thing. I mean they got the Northwestern and Cornelia Marie that draw the most attention and popularity but the other boats do too.

lolummm.gif