• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

The NHL's Marketing Skills

Rate this topic

I hate the Center Ice commercials on the NHL Network. It shows Crosby scoring a goal against the Wings in the first second of it and says "If Crosby lights the lamp in Pittsburgh, will you cheer in Denver?" or something stupid like that. Then it goes on to Luongo and Ovie.

And guess how often it's on? EVERY ******* COMMERCIAL BREAK. I stopped hating Crosby nearly as much as I did in 09 until that stupid commercial came out. And I bet it will be on every commercial break until next summer. How about evening things up, NHL? Can you play a commercial that's similar style in Pittsburgh showing Zetterberg scoring against the Penguins during every commercial break?

Sorry for the rant. It's 4 am and I need sleep.

Sounds like Doc has been hired as Bettman's publicist.

Oh and I'm so glad this didn't turn into another Crosby thread. <_<

I'm sorry I don't agree with this boards rationale that Bettman sux and the NHL does nothing right because they pay more attention to big baby Crosby than our stars.

The whining about him has gotten borderline ridiculous.

I'm sorry I don't agree with this boards rationale that Bettman sux and the NHL does nothing right because they pay more attention to big baby Crosby than our stars.

The whining about him has gotten borderline ridiculous.

I never started this thread to promote our stars over Crosby.

I was merely saying that the league needs to market other stars around the NHL. If that happens to include Hank or Pavel, than that's fine. I was thinking more of guys like Stamkos, Miller, Parise, Lecavalier.

Also, I included Ovechkin in there with Crosby, but no one seems to talk about him.

I never started this thread to promote our stars over Crosby.

I was merely saying that the league needs to market other stars around the NHL. If that happens to include Hank or Pavel, than that's fine. I was thinking more of guys like Stamkos, Miller, Parise, Lecavalier.

Also, I included Ovechkin in there with Crosby, but no one seems to talk about him.

Sure they do.

The only problem is his recent track record has been much less than stellar.

Ovechkin was suspended twice for questionable hits last season.

Ovechkin's Russians got trashed in the olympics by Canada.

Ovechkin lost out on the Rocket Richard last season.

Ovechkin lost out on the Hart last season.

Ovechkin has not won a cup, or even gotten to the conference finals with his Capitals team. When his team absolutely destroyed the competition in the regular season, they fell flat on their faces to a Montreal team and their goaltender after being up in the series 3-1. (I'm not placing the blame on Ovechkin, just that winners are marketable and he has not been part of a winning franchise)

Also considering he is playing in the winter classic this year and has an HBO special focusing on his team, I wouldn't say no one seems to talk about him.

The Winter Classic is one thing that bugs me. I understand the NHL's goal to market the game in America by having Ovechkin vs. Crosby. I would just like to see a few Canadian teams get some focus. Like a Toronto vs. Montreal or Detroit vs. Toronto game would be fun to watch, plus you'd get the whole Canada vs. America angle working. I know Calgary is playing Edmonton in an outdoor game, but that almost seems like a, "Here you go, Canada. You get an outdoor game too, I guess."

The Winter Classic is one thing that bugs me. I understand the NHL's goal to market the game in America by having Ovechkin vs. Crosby. I would just like to see a few Canadian teams get some focus. Like a Toronto vs. Montreal or Detroit vs. Toronto game would be fun to watch, plus you'd get the whole Canada vs. America angle working. I know Calgary is playing Edmonton in an outdoor game, but that almost seems like a, "Here you go, Canada. You get an outdoor game too, I guess."

NBC doesn't get money from Canadian viewers.

Sure they do.

The only problem is his recent track record has been much less than stellar.

Ovechkin was suspended twice for questionable hits last season.

Ovechkin's Russians got trashed in the olympics by Canada.

Ovechkin lost out on the Rocket Richard last season.

Ovechkin lost out on the Hart last season.

Ovechkin has not won a cup, or even gotten to the conference finals with his Capitals team. When his team absolutely destroyed the competition in the regular season, they fell flat on their faces to a Montreal team and their goaltender after being up in the series 3-1. (I'm not placing the blame on Ovechkin, just that winners are marketable and he has not been part of a winning franchise)

Also considering he is playing in the winter classic this year and has an HBO special focusing on his team, I wouldn't say no one seems to talk about him.

I was talking about people on this site when it comes to attention.

No one here complains that he gets too much.