• Please log in to reply
327 replies to this topic

#321 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

I thought Owens was really impressive last night, despite Babcock's comments about Emmerton and Mursak, I thought Owens was a bigger presence than either one of them. Owens-Abdelkader-Helm would be a serious forecheck.

#322 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:46 AM

I thought Ericsson, Tatar, and Owens looked really good. I wasnt impressed by Smith's defensive game, he looked pretty good offensivly, but was really lacking defensivly. Smith also needs to gains a lot more strength he got railed a few times, and wasnt very strong on his feet. Hes a big tough guy at parties apparently, maybe he should show that on the ice :ninja:

#323 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:42 AM

I am extremely impressed with this Owens kid; he's got heart and determination. When I saw him play my first thought was "this kid amazing!", and he is fast as hell! Looks like he'll rival Helm in the speed department. I see he's getting a lot of praise on here, so I must not be the only on who thinks this. and just think, Holland only had to give up Kris Newbury for him :D

Another kid I thought was probably the most impressive prospect on the ice (for either team) was Mursak. This kid is as offensively gifted as they come. His hockey IQ and talents are rock solid. He also "wow'd" me.

Here's something I didn't read anyone mention, but Howard is playing the puck better than I ever seem him play it. Looks like he's worked on playing the puck in the offseason and it shows. He's was passing the puck to players and making plays. I never thought Howard as a goalie who would play the puck, but he looked very comfortable and confident out there.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk are PURE magic. This is going to be, hands down, the best line in the NHL this year. You heard it first here. :cool:

Ericsson is playing with an edge, it looks like Salei may be rubbing off on him. He was powering some Hawks regulars (Bolland and Hendry) and made them look like chop suey. Ericsson playing with nastiness is when he's at his best. Hope he keeps the trend going. I think we can thank Salei for the new found Ericsson's game.

Salei does look rock solid and I didn't realize how good of a passer he is. He seems very comfortable and never seems to panic. And his positioning is rock solid. And he's a great skater. i didn't realize this about Salei.

Tatar is a very smart hockey player. He was always in on the offensive mix of things. He was always right there making things happen and the puck seemed to follow him.

I am excited to see more of Smith. He's going to develop into a top pairing dman. He's got skills. He just needs to bulk up and get more physical. He made a couple good defensive plays, after than one bonehead play. I think quirk inspired him to tighten up.

I don't know... I remember when Chicago fans use to come to this forum bragging how great their future is and how great their prospects are... yet I wasn't all that impressed with their kids at all. I think Red Wings prospects (Owens, Mursak, Emmerton, Tatar, Smith) completely dominated and overshadowed their prospects when they went head-to-head in the game. Bottom line, Red Wings have a very bright future ahead of them. I didn't notice any prospects on the Black hawks other than the one kid that got lucky on a PP.

Beach was seriously an 11th overall pick? Lol. Would he even make it on our 4th line in the AHL? haha

Mursak, Tatar and Owens really stood out to me. I want to see more of these kids! :thumbup:

#324 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:52 AM

Owens played well, but I'm just not ready yet to see someone else wearing Jason Woolley's number.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#325 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:01 AM

Owens played well, but I'm just not ready yet to see someone else wearing Jason Woolley's number.

Lol. :thumbup:

#326 zrf

zrf

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

I don't know... I remember when Chicago fans use to come to this forum bragging how great their future is and how great their prospects are... yet I wasn't all that impressed with their kids at all. I think Red Wings prospects (Owens, Mursak, Emmerton, Tatar, Smith) completely dominated and overshadowed their prospects when they went head-to-head in the game. Bottom line, Red Wings have a very bright future ahead of them. I didn't notice any prospects on the Black hawks other than the one kid that got lucky on a PP.

Mursak, Tatar and Owens really stood out to me. I want to see more of these kids! :thumbup:

Of the few young players who are NHL ready that even PLAYED last night, only Morin looked impressive. Leddy had a pretty good game, but was on an awful pairing so it's really hard to judge. Beach reminded me a lot of the way Kopecky played for a large part of last year in that he appeared to be trying ot do too much instead of letting the game come to him. Vishnevsky, a guy who has a chane at a roster spot, really didn't play all that well while Jordan Hendry (who probably had a leg up to be the 5/6 dman on the bottom pairing) was flat out awful. Bickell, who pretty much has a roster spot locked up, played okay but nothing special. In all there where maybe 6-7 guys playing who will make the opening night roster and that INCLUDES the incumbants like Brouwer, Bolland, and Campbell.

Simply put, last night was Chicago's "B" team much like tonight will be for you guys. I wouldn't read too much into either teams performance, outside of trying to judge players who are vying for open roster spots. Outside of maybe Morin (who is not only playign his way onto the roster, but could potentially see a top 6 role), all of our better NHL ready forward prospects will be playign tonight. Morin may play again, and he'll be joined by Makarov (he's been great so far), Skille, and Stalberg. I'm looking forward to tonight as some of these young guys will be playing on lines with our studs.

Edited by zrf, 25 September 2010 - 12:29 PM.

#327 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

I just have to back up the few people who have also said it:

Smith looked like garbage last night. He made some good offensive plays, but for good chunks of time it looked to me like he didn't know what a defenseman is supposed to do.

OK, he didn't look like garbage, he just didn't look anywhere near as good as I expect someone of his caliber, and someone that I suppose has an outside shot at a roster spot, to play.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#328 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

Of the few young players who are NHL ready that even PLAYED last night, only Morin looked impressive. Leddy had a pretty good game, but was on an awful pairing so it's really hard to judge. Beach reminded me a lot of the way Kopecky played for a large part of last year in that he appeared to be trying ot do too much instead of letting the game come to him. Vishnevsky, a guy who has a chane at a roster spot, really didn't play all that well while Jordan Hendry (who probably had a leg up to be the 5/6 dman on the bottom pairing) was flat out awful. Bickell, who pretty much has a roster spot locked up, played okay but nothing special. In all there where maybe 6-7 guys playing who will make the opening night roster and that INCLUDES the incumbants like Brouwer, Bolland, and Campbell.

Simply put, last night was Chicago's "B" team much like tonight will be for you guys. I wouldn't read too much into either teams performance, outside of trying to judge players who are vying for open roster spots. Outside of maybe Morin (who is not only playign his way onto the roster, but could potentially see a top 6 role), all of our better NHL ready forward prospects will be playign tonight. Morin may play again, and he'll be joined by Makarov (he's been great so far), Skille, and Stalberg. I'm looking forward to tonight as some of these young guys will be playing on lines with our studs.

I was particularly watching how our kids (Mursak, Emmerton, Tater, Owens) matched up against Hawks kids (Morin, Leddy) and noticed Wings kids still controlled the play and dominated. I'm extremely impressed with our young kids, especially Tater, Mursak and Owens. I was just pointing out that Red Wings have a bright future, indeed.