• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Motown4013

Tonights line-up against Chicago

Rate this topic

I'm honestly a bit disappointed that Ritola isn't in the line-up. I've been patiently waiting to see him, but whenever the game is televised, he's not playing. I listened to the game on the radio against the Pens the other night and it sounded like he was one of the best forwards for the Wings.

Downey has no business in the line up. No idea why they are wasting valuable preseason games on him. Let the future play, not the past.

Hope Babcock changes the lines to this:

Ritola-V.Filppula-Bertuzzi

Drew Miller-Abdelkader-Pare

Tatar-Emmerton-Mursak

Tardif-Andersson-Owens

The entire roster for the regular season is pretty much set with the exception of a four guys battling for two fourth line spots, and you're bitching about Downey playing on the fourth line in a preseason game? :blink:

Guest CaliWingsNut

Just the exact same thing you saw last night, only flipped. Chicago throwing most of the "A" team out there, while Detroit will be going with it's "B" team and scrubs. Now you'll know what us Hawk fans felt like last night.

I miss the negative voting button.

It's pre-season.

I'm disappointed iFlip's not in.

I'm glad E and Smith are playing again, they both need as much time as they can get right now. I was sorely underwhelmed with both of their performances last night.

And Owens definitely earned some more PT, I think. Here's hoping he'll really wreak some hardcore havoc tonight.

What's Tatar doing on the checking line?

Checking.

I have a feeling that the ice times will be pretty even for all lines tonight. I also have a feeling that they are going to be in different roles on the PP and PK. I think tonight is sort of an audition.

Guest Heaten

The entire roster for the regular season is pretty much set with the exception of a four guys battling for two fourth line spots, and you're bitching about Downey playing on the fourth line in a preseason game? :blink:

It'd been nice to give that spot to another kid or something. Not like Downey had a productive game or anything, but I think we all pretty much knew he wouldn't.

I'd rather have i.Flip play over Downey, tbh.

Edited by Heaten

It'd been nice to give that spot to another kid or something. Not like Downey had a productive game or anything, but I think we all pretty much knew he wouldn't.

I'd rather have i.Flip play over Downey, tbh.

Sick, Bro. I'd love for Downey to make alll the haters keep hating. I cant believe anyone could hate a guy who works as hard as Downs does to protect his teammates. I'm not gonna lie, it's ******* bulls***. He's one of the best guys on this team for what he does, and no one cares. I miss the days when Wings fans appreciated comradory and sticking up for one another. That's what teams are made of.

Guest Heaten

Sick, Bro. I'd love for Downey to make alll the haters keep hating. I cant believe anyone could hate a guy who works as hard as Downs does to protect his teammates. I'm not gonna lie, it's ******* bulls***. He's one of the best guys on this team for what he does, and no one cares. I miss the days when Wings fans appreciated comradory and sticking up for one another. That's what teams are made of.

It's not hating, son. Preseason is about evaluating the kids and helping the regulars gel together. Downey was not ever going to make the team. We're not an x_player hater, we just want to see i.flip and other kids play NHL caliber games instead of a playing guys that are DONE. Why is that so hard to understand?

It's not hating, son. Preseason is about evaluating the kids and helping the regulars gel together. Downey was not ever going to make the team. We're not an x_player hater, we just want to see i.flip and other kids play NHL caliber games instead of a playing guys that are DONE. Why is that so hard to understand?

This has nothing to do with evaluating the kids, (cause that's what GR is for), and everything to do with you not liking enforcers. Plain and simple. As much as you complain about them being useless, enforcers are still on every team in the league (there's my old material Doc! :yowza: ). I guess you're just smarter than every GM and coach in the NHL then right? Maybe Babs knows something you don't?

esteef

Downey is on a tryout with the Wings. Would it be responsible for the Wings to invite him and then not let him play? That is not how this organization works.

If the Wings carry 14 forwards I think there is a place for him on the team. If the 14th is only going to play ~30 games, would it make sense to have one of our younger prospects sitting out for ~50 games a season? The younger (more skilled) players need playing time to develop. With Draper as the 13th, the 14th will not play (unless there are a lot of injuries) much. In the case of injuries, the young players can be called-up. I think it would be a waste for I. Flip, Mursak, Tatar, etc. to be off the ice for a large amount of time. You could argue that Miller or Ritola are better options than Downey, but I am not sure they would want to be in the press-box that often.

Guest Heaten

This has nothing to do with evaluating the kids, (cause that's what GR is for), and everything to do with you not liking enforcers. Plain and simple. As much as you complain about them being useless, enforcers are still on every team in the league (there's my old material Doc! :yowza: ). I guess you're just smarter than every GM and coach in the NHL then right? Maybe Babs knows something you don't?

esteef

Who's Red Wings enforcer to start this season? Who was Red Wings enforcer when they won the cup in 2008? I guess enforces really aren't "on every team" after all. Imagine that...

Red Wings enforcer:

/insert Red Wings 2008 championship photo here

Who's Red Wings enforcer to start this season? Who was Red Wings enforcer when they won the cup in 2008? I guess enforces really aren't "on every team" after all. Imagine that...

Red Wings enforcer:

/insert Red Wings 2008 championship photo here

340x.jpg

Detroit+Red+Wings+v+Pittsburgh+Penguins+Game+zC1xATNpXnAl.jpg

Edited by esteef

Guest Heaten

Oh right, he played a whopping 0 playoff games. How could one ever forget the significance of his great playoff performance, seriously?. :rolleyes:

Yet you still failed to answer the question... who's Red Wings enforcer for 2011 going to be? I'm all for a McCarty type guy, just not a useless goon. Big difference. I'll take Owens over Downey. But I'll take Miller over both.

Let me repeat, he played 0 playoff games in 2008

Edited by Heaten

Oh right, he played a whopping 0 playoff games. How could one ever forget the significance of his great playoff performance, seriously?. :rolleyes:

Yet you still failed to answer the question... who's Red Wings enforcer for 2011 going to be? I'm all for a McCarty type guy, just not a useless goon. Big difference. I'll take Owens over Downey. But I'll take Miller over both.

Who here is arguing that Downey should play in any playoffs games should he make the team? That isn't the argument. The argument is whether or not Downey should be playing the the preseason games and (extending this) if he should be signed.

In my last post I outlined my argument for Downey this season. While I won't be too upset if he isn't signed (since he would be in the press box a lot), I think there is a logical and valid argument for signing him.

Back peddling already eh? Can't win the Cup if you don't make the playoffs first. Something Downey helped us do.

P.S. Big fonts are fun. ;)

esteef

Edited by esteef

Guest Heaten

Back peddling already eh? Can't win the Cup if you don't make the playoffs first. Something Downey helped us do.

P.S. Big fonts are fun. ;)

esteef

Yes, Downey was the savior of the team in 2007/08. Wings had 115 points, 257 Goals For, and Downey scored 0 of those goals. Shew, good thing Downey played those incredible regular season games, because Red Wings would never have scored 257 goals and closed the season with 115 points and made the playoffs without him. Wings would have been the 2010 Oilers if not for Downey's whopping 3 assists that year.

Your ingenious logic is something very.... special. :yowza:

I like comedians cause they make me laugh! :D

Yes, Downey was the savior of the team in 2007/08. Wings had 115 points, 257 Goals For, and Downey scored 0 of those goals. Shew, good thing Downey played those incredible regular season games, because Red Wings would never have scored 257 goals and closed the season with 115 points and made the playoffs without him. Wings would have been the 2010 Oilers if not for Downey's whopping 3 assists that year.

Conversely, was Downey the reason that the Wings didn't have 120 points in 2008? It's fine to argue that he didn't add much offense, but he wasn't the only player not scoring 20+ points. The fourth line isn't supposed to have three 20+ point scorers- that's why they're paid 500k-1m.

I'll paste my last post here again since you seem to be dodging it.

Downey is on a tryout with the Wings. Would it be responsible for the Wings to invite him and then not let him play? That is not how this organization works.

If the Wings carry 14 forwards I think there is a place for him on the team. If the 14th is only going to play ~30 games, would it make sense to have one of our younger prospects sitting out for ~50 games a season? The younger (more skilled) players need playing time to develop. With Draper as the 13th, the 14th will not play (unless there are a lot of injuries) much. In the case of injuries, the young players can be called-up. I think it would be a waste for I. Flip, Mursak, Tatar, etc. to be off the ice for a large amount of time. You could argue that Miller or Ritola are better options than Downey, but I am not sure they would want to be in the press-box that often.

Guest Heaten

Conversely, was Downey the reason that the Wings didn't have 120 points in 2008? It's fine to argue that he didn't add much offense, but he wasn't the only player not scoring 20+ points. The fourth line isn't supposed to have three 20+ point scorers- that's why they're paid 500k-1m.

I'll paste my last post here again since you seem to be dodging it.

I'd go:

12th spot Eaves

13th spot Miller

14th spot Ritola

15th spot Draper

16th spot Maltby

Wings are more than good on depth. If injuries happen like last year, Wings have Mursak, Owens, Emmerton and Tatar.... all of them showed so much more during preseason than Downey.

Good on depth... Check :thumbup:

Edited by Heaten

Your boy Ritola had a whopping 0 goals as well. Was he our savior then? Was his contribution any more or less than Downey's? In fact, why was Downey called up over him if Ritola's so awesome? Please impart this keen knowledge you seem to posses that the rest of the hockey world does not.

esteef

Edited by esteef