• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:57 PM

Not really sure if that comment is there to help my argument or yours? But I'd definitely take a McCarty type player in his prime on this team any day of the week, he could actually play hockey. I never considered Drake an enforcer.

No its not to help you. Mac in 2008 could play good hockey? The guy had been retired for a season then came out of retirement to help toughen our team up. We weren't gonna put Downey in the line up and Macarty but Macarty in 2008 wasn't there to be a guy who could fight and score. He was there to enforce and thats about it. And yeah Drake wasn't an enforcer but he was a guy who could fight and solid secondary toughness behind someone like Drake or Macarty.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#62 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:40 PM

No its not to help you. Mac in 2008 could play good hockey? The guy had been retired for a season then came out of retirement to help toughen our team up. We weren't gonna put Downey in the line up and Macarty but Macarty in 2008 wasn't there to be a guy who could fight and score. He was there to enforce and thats about it. And yeah Drake wasn't an enforcer but he was a guy who could fight and solid secondary toughness behind someone like Drake or Macarty.

Don't mean to intrude on a good pointless argument, but it should be pointed out that if Kopecky had been healthy that year, Mac would not have played. He only made the lineup due to injuries and a lack of options. He wasn't very good, but he was better than Downey or Mark Hartigan.

#63 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

It is a pretty pointless argument, but Buppy did bring up a valid point. I forgot about the Kopecky injury. But yeah, if you are happy with having a guy who can fight, then you should be content with the 2011 team. Ericsson, Abdelkader and Salei 'can fight'. Those guys combined will fight more than Drake did. And they can play hockey so it's win-win. ;)

#64 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

I'd go:

12th spot Eaves
13th spot Miller
14th spot Ritola
15th spot Draper
16th spot Maltby

Wings are more than good on depth. If injuries happen like last year, Wings have Mursak, Owens, Emmerton and Tatar.... all of them showed so much more during preseason than Downey.

Good on depth... Check :thumbup:

The Wings can only carry 14 forwards maximum. Therefore, two of the players you listed will have to be cut/sent to GR. If another player is cut to make room for Downey, I don't think the Wings lose too much depth considering Mursak, Maltby, Owens, etc in GR. My fear is that Draper will play most of the games a player is scratched and the 14th forward won't get much time. Therefore, it is likely they will not be resigned (or traded/sent down in Ritola's case) after this year.