• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lifelong Wings Fan

The Right Way to do a Griffins Game

Rate this topic

I'm making the road trip to Grand Rapids from London, Ontario (approx. 4 hour trek) and want to know from the experts where the good places are to go for dinner/drinks before the game, drinks/drinks after the game, what hotels are close to the arena and the nightlife, etc. It's my first trip to a Griffins game and my buddies are expecting a good party, so I figured I'd get some help from people who do it all the time.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I can't wait to see the city and the arena and especially my boy Maltby.

I've been going to griffins games for about 3 years and now is the first time I've lived downtown so I can walk back from the games. Well there are a lot of restaurants/bars around van andel, I would recommend that you come on a Friday so you can get the dollar beers and dollar dogs at the game.

Assuming you come down on Friday, I would say go to the BOB which is right next to Van Andel. It's a pretty busy place, they have like three different levels (ones a club, ones a restaurant, and something else). I would then go to the game (100 ft away) around 6 because thats when they let you in so you can get the dollar beers all the way until the game starts at 7.

After the game I would recommend going to McFaddens pub which is right down the road from the arena, they have dollar beers as well (on fridays i think)

Awesome advice! Can't thank you enough. Those both sound like our kind of place. We're definitely coming on a Friday for the dollar beers and dogs. Good to know that there's more dollar beers for us after the game.

What about hotels? Is there anything really close that won't be an arm and a leg for the night?

Awesome advice! Can't thank you enough. Those both sound like our kind of place. We're definitely coming on a Friday for the dollar beers and dogs. Good to know that there's more dollar beers for us after the game.

What about hotels? Is there anything really close that won't be an arm and a leg for the night?

If you're staying downtown I really doubt you'll find a cheap hotel. The JW Marriot and Amway Grand are both really expensive. You could stay in the area and be fine, though. There are chain motels all over the place a la Holiday Inn. Depending on the night / your scene, there are a number of places to go. Stella's is a great faux-dive bar with good food and nice drink prices if you're into PBR and drinking out of mason jars. Since you're coming on Friday, though, you'll probably want to go to 25 Kitchen and Bar - they usually host after parties with a bunch of the Griffins. McFadden's sponsors College Night on Fridays, so they will definitely have drink specials and they are right next to Stella's, too.

One thing I would certainly recommend is parking in one of the DASH lots. They're paid lots for commuter buses, but the lot I use (Lot 7) is totally free at night and always has tons of space in it. It's a short walk over the bridge from the Van Andel and the perfect spot, since Fridays are packed in the Arena district.

Before the game you could go to J Gardella's Tavern, it's where all the off-ice officials go. Maybe you'll see a familiar face. I also recommend Hop Cat, they've got a lot of quality beer choices and great food. Both Gardella's and Hop Cat are right downtown near the arena.

I'm downtown every single day and have a mini-season ticket plan to the Griffs, so I'd be happy to answer any of your questions man. Just shoot me a message or whatever.

Lifelong,

There is a Holiday Inn not too far from the Van Andel Arena. I've had cocktails there and attended meetings, but haven't actually stayed in one of the rooms. Its a little further away (still within walking distance) but a lot less expensive than the Amway Grand or the JW Marriott. Here's the website:

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/grand-rapids/grrpe/hoteldetail

Have fun!

Lifelong,

There is a Holiday Inn not too far from the Van Andel Arena. I've had cocktails there and attended meetings, but haven't actually stayed in one of the rooms. Its a little further away (still within walking distance) but a lot less expensive than the Amway Grand or the JW Marriott. Here's the website:

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/grand-rapids/grrpe/hoteldetail

Have fun!

Haha, I walk by that literally every day. I can't believe it didn't come to mind.