• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Canadian_Yzerman_Fan

Best All-Time Players by Number

Rate this topic

Very fun article. Some guys are on the list because no one else wears those numbers though...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1009/nhl.greatest.players.by.jersey.number/content.1.html

Modern Red Wings of note on the list

13- Datsyuk

14- Shanahan

19- Yzerman

24- Chelios

40- Zetterberg

91- Fedorov

96- Holmstrom

There are also the oldies like

1- Sawchuk

9- Howe

and a few guys that had stints with us, but Detroit wasn't exactly their career team

16- Hull

20- Robitaille

72- Schneider

81- Hossa

... Enjoy!

Edited by Canadian_Yzerman_Fan

Very fun article. Some guys are on the list because no one else wears those numbers though...

http://sportsillustr.../content.1.html

Modern Red Wings of note on the list

13- Datsyuk

14- Shanahan

19- Yzerman

24- Chelios

40- Zetterberg

91- Fedorov

96- Holmstrom

There are also the oldies like

1- Sawchuk

9- Howe

and a few guys that had stints with us, but Detroit wasn't exactly their career team

16- Hull

20- Robitaille

72- Schneider

81- Hossa

... Enjoy!

#55 Larry Murphy... pictured in a Penguins jersey... but he did have his time here

Potvin over Lids? Nein.

If Orr was #5 would you take lidstrom over him? Not a chance. And if Orr didn't exist then Potvin would be the guy pushing chevrolets and that everyone would be talking about. I admit it's a close race but i still have to give it to potvin. In 5 more years when lidstrom has 3 more stanley cups, 2 more norris's and just re-signed another contract extension then yes...i'll take lidstrom.

If Orr was #5 would you take lidstrom over him? Not a chance. And if Orr didn't exist then Potvin would be the guy pushing chevrolets and that everyone would be talking about. I admit it's a close race but i still have to give it to potvin. In 5 more years when lidstrom has 3 more stanley cups, 2 more norris's and just re-signed another contract extension then yes...i'll take lidstrom.

This is not a close race at all. Lidstrom already has the same number of Stanley Cups as Potvin and has twice as many Norris Trophy's. Potvin never won a Conn Smythe, Lidstrom has. Potvin never won a gold medal, Lidstrom has. Lidstrom doesn't need any more achievements to overshadow Potvin. The only area that Potvin beats Lidstrom in is physical play, Potvin was nasty guy to play against.

The last time I checked Bobby Orr did play and he wore #4, saying what you did is like asking if Gretzky or Lemieux wore another number would you pick someone over them. There will never be another Bobby Orr but Denis Potvin is not Bobby Orr. Potvin only had to "compete" with Orr for 2 seasons before Orr's career was effectively over. As good as Potvin was and he was very good, Lidstrom is just better. One can argue that if Lidstrom were Canadian or American he would have been recognized even earlier. I was stunned when I got to #5 and it was anyone other than Lidstrom.

Edited by RedWingsJunkie