Photo
- - - - -

Is Mike Modano This Year's Dallas Drake?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 stevie12

stevie12

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

Aside from the addition of Hudler, Salei, and another year of experience for Helm and Abdelkader, is Mike Modano this year's Dallas Drake?
Is he the missing link that will drive the 2010-2011 Red Wings to a Stanley Cup Championship?

Let me know your thoughts. I just have a really good feeling about this year.

Go Wings,
Stevie

#2 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:29 PM

I sure hope so.....

I don't think he will play the same role as Drake.... Since Drake was more physical and Modano more for scoring depth.... But I do believe his veteren leadership and the team wanting to get him a few more cups (He will be back
next season if he can still compete) will be a positive effect...

#3 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

the whole thing with dallas drake was that he had never won a cup...but we can pretend the stars never won a cup...so yes modano is the new drake.

#4 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:59 PM

Why do we need a Dallas Drake every year now?
*this space for rent*

#5 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

No He brings nowhere near the same intenisty as Drake did nor does he add any grit.
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#6 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:52 PM

I thought Brad May was last years Dallas Drake?

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#7 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:22 PM

Aside from the addition of Hudler, Salei, and another year of experience for Helm and Abdelkader, is Mike Modano this year's Dallas Drake?
Is he the missing link that will drive the 2010-2011 Red Wings to a Stanley Cup Championship?

Let me know your thoughts. I just have a really good feeling about this year.

Go Wings,
Stevie

People seriously give Drake too much credit. He helped, yes, and he was a physical force in the playoffs and an inspiration, yes, but he wasn't a huge factor. The lack of the injuries (Schneider, Kronwall, Zetterberg, Bertuzzi, Lebda, Calder etc. etc.) that had plagued the team the year before, the resurgence of Osgood in net, and Franzen's offensive explosion were what won the Cup for the Wings, not Drake. Had the Wings not sustained an inordinate number of injuries the season before, it's likely that they would have defeated Anaheim.

I'm not sure how people have gotten "Drake got us the Cup!" into their heads. It's not true. Having an intact defensive corps, having a largely-uninjured group of scoring forwards, and having an extra weapon in the form of Franzen were what got the team that win. Drake was a minor factor at best.

Edited by Crymson, 27 September 2010 - 11:24 PM.

#8 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

Drake brought intensity every game and simply destroyed the opposition with his hitting. But he only had 1 goal and 3 assists so it doesn't surprise me that the impact he had on the ice is diminished by some on this board. :thumbdown:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#9 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:12 AM

He's not the new Drake. That was it's own thing and it is over now.

Modano is playing for the team he grew up watching and loving, and that is his epic story. Can he be an inspirational player? Probably not, however he will be a sight to see on the ice and in this fans opinion, he will return to form with actual decent players next to him.

Expect the Awesomeness. :yowza: :clap:

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#10 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:30 AM

When Drake was here we had a third line (Drake-Draper-Cleary) that worked harder than the opponent and was tough to play against. They were physical; they got in the way and they annoyed every line they checked. Draper and Cleary felt secure in playing an intense physical game because Drake was there to back them up.

With Modano we have yet to see how effective a scoring third line can be as opposed to the line we had with Drake here. As of right now, though, the third scoring line looks promising.

#11 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:39 AM

Drake brought intensity every game and simply destroyed the opposition with his hitting. But he only had 1 goal and 3 assists so it doesn't surprise me that the impact he had on the ice is diminished by some on this board. :thumbdown:

esteef

He was a role player. An important role player, but a role player nevertheless. Babcock liked to get him on the ice a lot in the 1st period to "set the tone", but in terms of importance to the team he was behind at least *deep breath* Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Franzen, Filpulla, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart and of course Osgood.

He's in the Cleary/Hudler/Draper/Helm cluster, and I can't be bothered to rank their contributions because there's no point. The whole team was a machine that year, Drake was just one of many well oiled cogs.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#12 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:56 AM

esteef

Err... people on this board overestimate his impact. Do you remember that even with a horribly injury-riddled team, the Wings came within a hair of making it to the finals in '07? '08 was a Wings team that was not flattened by injury, and Franzen was on fire.

#13 matemate

matemate

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:15 AM

LOL. Modano is a very soft player.

#14 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:17 AM

No.
Not the same person, player, or motivation. Move on.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#15 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:54 AM

If anything Salei is this year's Dallas Drake, a gritty veteran who has never won a Cup.

Win it for Ruslan, whattya think, will it stick?

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#16 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

I hope Modano is more like this years Brett Hull...
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#17 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:52 AM

I came in here to say Salei is more like this year's Drake than anyone else, but I see I was already beaten to the punch. <_<

#18 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

modano is no where near drake. he's won a cup and they are entirely a different player. I'd say it's a tie between bertuzzi and salei for this years drake. it be nice to see salei win a cup but i really want to see bert get a cup and silence all the critics. i have always liked bert, even through the moore years, and am glad he is part of this team and hope he plays a big part this year in the teams success. He is even showing signs of the old bert which is a big plus.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#19 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

With the way a good portion of fans have a penchant for exaggerated character assassinations of Wing players, the more important question is..

Who's gonna be the next Vokoun? (Ozzie!)
And who's gonna be the next Ballard?

#20 Swayze

Swayze

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

No He brings nowhere near the same intenisty as Drake did nor does he add any grit.

QFT, what i've been saying since the rumors started. All he'll do is take up Ritola's roster spot.