• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevie12

Is Mike Modano This Year's Dallas Drake?

Rate this topic

Aside from the addition of Hudler, Salei, and another year of experience for Helm and Abdelkader, is Mike Modano this year's Dallas Drake?

Is he the missing link that will drive the 2010-2011 Red Wings to a Stanley Cup Championship?

Let me know your thoughts. I just have a really good feeling about this year.

Go Wings,

Stevie

I sure hope so.....

I don't think he will play the same role as Drake.... Since Drake was more physical and Modano more for scoring depth.... But I do believe his veteren leadership and the team wanting to get him a few more cups (He will be back

next season if he can still compete) will be a positive effect...

Guest Crymson

Aside from the addition of Hudler, Salei, and another year of experience for Helm and Abdelkader, is Mike Modano this year's Dallas Drake?

Is he the missing link that will drive the 2010-2011 Red Wings to a Stanley Cup Championship?

Let me know your thoughts. I just have a really good feeling about this year.

Go Wings,

Stevie

People seriously give Drake too much credit. He helped, yes, and he was a physical force in the playoffs and an inspiration, yes, but he wasn't a huge factor. The lack of the injuries (Schneider, Kronwall, Zetterberg, Bertuzzi, Lebda, Calder etc. etc.) that had plagued the team the year before, the resurgence of Osgood in net, and Franzen's offensive explosion were what won the Cup for the Wings, not Drake. Had the Wings not sustained an inordinate number of injuries the season before, it's likely that they would have defeated Anaheim.

I'm not sure how people have gotten "Drake got us the Cup!" into their heads. It's not true. Having an intact defensive corps, having a largely-uninjured group of scoring forwards, and having an extra weapon in the form of Franzen were what got the team that win. Drake was a minor factor at best.

Edited by Crymson

He's not the new Drake. That was it's own thing and it is over now.

Modano is playing for the team he grew up watching and loving, and that is his epic story. Can he be an inspirational player? Probably not, however he will be a sight to see on the ice and in this fans opinion, he will return to form with actual decent players next to him.

Expect the Awesomeness. :yowza::clap:

When Drake was here we had a third line (Drake-Draper-Cleary) that worked harder than the opponent and was tough to play against. They were physical; they got in the way and they annoyed every line they checked. Draper and Cleary felt secure in playing an intense physical game because Drake was there to back them up.

With Modano we have yet to see how effective a scoring third line can be as opposed to the line we had with Drake here. As of right now, though, the third scoring line looks promising.

Drake brought intensity every game and simply destroyed the opposition with his hitting. But he only had 1 goal and 3 assists so it doesn't surprise me that the impact he had on the ice is diminished by some on this board. :thumbdown:

esteef

He was a role player. An important role player, but a role player nevertheless. Babcock liked to get him on the ice a lot in the 1st period to "set the tone", but in terms of importance to the team he was behind at least *deep breath* Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Franzen, Filpulla, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart and of course Osgood.

He's in the Cleary/Hudler/Draper/Helm cluster, and I can't be bothered to rank their contributions because there's no point. The whole team was a machine that year, Drake was just one of many well oiled cogs.

Guest Crymson

Drake brought intensity every game and simply destroyed the opposition with his hitting. But he only had 1 goal and 3 assists so it doesn't surprise me that the impact he had on the ice is diminished by some on this board. :thumbdown:

esteef

Err... people on this board overestimate his impact. Do you remember that even with a horribly injury-riddled team, the Wings came within a hair of making it to the finals in '07? '08 was a Wings team that was not flattened by injury, and Franzen was on fire.

modano is no where near drake. he's won a cup and they are entirely a different player. I'd say it's a tie between bertuzzi and salei for this years drake. it be nice to see salei win a cup but i really want to see bert get a cup and silence all the critics. i have always liked bert, even through the moore years, and am glad he is part of this team and hope he plays a big part this year in the teams success. He is even showing signs of the old bert which is a big plus.

Guest Shoreline

With the way a good portion of fans have a penchant for exaggerated character assassinations of Wing players, the more important question is..

Who's gonna be the next Vokoun? (Ozzie!)

And who's gonna be the next Ballard?

No He brings nowhere near the same intenisty as Drake did nor does he add any grit.

QFT, what i've been saying since the rumors started. All he'll do is take up Ritola's roster spot.

I hope that Modano is similar to Drake in the fact he will be a veteran who can add a spark to the team when needed, especially if some players miss some games during the regular season.

maybe he'll even throw down once in a while like Dally did? :P

Guest Stolberg

Why do we need a Dallas Drake every year now?

because drake was the greatest thing to ever happen to the red wings and they wouldn't have been able to live with themselves if they had not won the cup just for him

Edited by Stolberg

I see Modano more like a Larionov; guy who's past his prime - yet is still capable of being a productive member on the right team.

yea I'd agree with this. Mo can be very good still, he show flashes of the player he was 10 years ago sometimes so I know the talent is still there unfortunately in Dallas with the team we had it was conducive for him to float a little more than he should. That being said I think he is a great fit for the Wings. I very much wish he was still back here and since it isn't looking promising for Dallas I hope he is the missing piece for the Wings. I will support Mo to the end, he deserves that and if that means cheering for the Wings I'll do what needs to be done. I am dreading opening night at the AAC in Dallas, it will be very bittersweet seeing my favorite player suiting up for another team.