• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Doc Holliday

That Datsyuk is a pretty cool guy...

Rate this topic

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/35315-The-Boylen-Point-Datsyuk-provides-unique-camp-for-kids-in-Russia.html

Some guys just get it.

Pavel Datsyuk, the superstar of few words, has taken a couple weeks out of his summer for the past three years to give back to the community and provide a lucky group of kids with a unique hockey school experience.

Just outside of his hometown, Ekaterinburg, in Russia – in a setting that resembles Ontario’s Muskoka cottage country – Datsyuk ran two one-week camps that included instruction from NHL coaches, European players and a mixed martial-arts trainer.

“He continues to change my opinion of how people behave,” said Todd Woodcroft, a longtime NHL scout who has been involved with the camp since Day 1...

“The kids have complete access to Pav,” Woodcroft said. “We’ll walk in for a 40-minute break for lunch and he’s in there goofing around with the kids. He’ll just go around and sit at the tables and goof around with them.”

And while the purpose of the camp is to provide the kids with professional training ideas and a once-in-a-lifetime experience, Datsyuk’s other main message is that hockey is just plain fun.

“It’s all positive; it’s all with smiles,” Woodcroft said. “I think a lot of times the kids there aren’t used to having the positive stuff. Pav must have said it a million times: ‘Hockey is fun. Fall down, get up. It’s OK if you fall down. If you miss it’s OK. You can still smile because you’re lucky to play this game.’ It’s cool to see a guy like that who gets it.”

The guy gives back and does it with that same goofy smile. Gotta love Pavs.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Guest scottj

yeah, Pavs has been one of my favs since even before this article

I think I'm gonna sneak into Russia n go to this camp lol

Its easy to bash athletes, im the first to do it when they do something completely outrageous, but a lot of them really are good people and help out the community, sick kids, etc. its awesome.

I remember when hasek had his own suite and would let children w/ cancer go to his suite to watch the games.

and that story last night on the bears/packers game w/ that little girl that got to go hang out w/ the packers and meet her favorite players....... thats cool :cool:

I wish more stories like that would get out... makes you appreciate that player that much more IMO.

To me, what sets this apart from other (not all) Athletes setting up similar youth camps, is their motive. A lot of Athletes will 'give back' solely for the brownie points in earns their reputation. However, given Pav's temperament, I think it's safe to say he does it because it's enjoyable to him.

With the title of this thread I thought it was going to say "He plays the puck and doesn't afraid of anything." or whatever. Haha

haha me too. Kind of like how Dan Boyle accidentally his own goal, and the Sharks cannot into the Stanley Cup Finals

Pavel seems like the kind of guy that would be like that. It's good to see a superstar of his caliber acting like that when he could just as well be a complete douchebag and act better than everyone else. If I was a kid growing up with the current Wings team, I would definitely look up to him.