• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Casey

Ericsson on notice?

Rate this topic

Of the current roster, there are many untouchables. Mule, Z, Pavel, Lids, Rafalski, those guys aren't going anywhere. There are a handful of guys on offense who could go either way and need to earn their spots. Ritola, IFil, Mursak, for example. However, what about defense?

I'd say it's safe to put the top four as pretty set. Lids, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall, in some combination. Salei's probably pretty set as #5, but is Ericsson really set as the #6?

Hear me out.

Ericsson is listed as six foot four, two-twenty. He plays soft, not using that size in any real capacity. He pulled down a team-worst -15 last season despite playing only 62 games (for reference, Stuart was -12, but played all 82). The -15 marker is #286 of 300 amongst defensemen last season, with the worst being Steve Staios at -27.

4 goals, 9 assists in 62 games. -15. Not hopeful numbers for a #6 defenseman.

From what I've seen of Kindl, he's a version of Ericsson that can actually hit. His production in GR is similar to Ericsson's during his last full season there, so I think there's a chance that Ericsson's spot isn't as set as people seem to think.

I hope that having a competitor nipping at his heels pushes E to improve, but we'll have to see. At the moment, it may be his spot to lose.

It should be an interesting season, at least. :)

There is no doubt about It Kindl has a real shot if big E doesn't pan out Kindl will take that spot. Ericsson has the skills to be a good D-man. He did show that his first year. Now it's time for him to step up and prove he has what it takes.

With the way Ericsson has been playing I think its best to say he might be scratched a few nights if we remain healthy. Again I see no reason why our top four cannot be broken up to help out. My ideal d man lines are

Lid-Ericsson

Raf-Stuart

Kronwall-Salie

Also just because I listed Kronwall is listed as the "3rd" pairing does not mean he will get less minutes. For some reason people think being listed as the 3rd pair is a bad thing.

Edited by dragonballgtz

With the way Ericsson has been playing I think its best to say he might be scratched a few nights if we remain healthy. Again I see no reason why our top four cannot be broken up to help out. My ideal d man lines are

Lid-Ericsson

Raf-Stuart

Kronwall-Salie

Also just because I listed Kronwall is listed as the "3rd" pairing does not mean he will get less minutes. For some reason people think being listed as the 3rd pair is a bad thing.

Ericsson has been so careless, joining offensive rushes unnecessarily, making ill advised pinches and just generally being caught behind the play. I wouldn't want him on the top D pairing. Lidstroms great but i don't want him to be covering ericssons mistakes all game.

Guest mindfly

Janik would fit the bill as a #6D imo...simple plays, physical, takes care of his own end, limited on offense but who cares about offence on the 3rd pair puts up? Salei-Janik would be the best until Kindl is ready.. I just want Ericsson to get sent to GR, doubt he would get picked up.

People need to remember Ericsson used to play forward, he hasn't the "DEFENSE FIRST" locked in his head, therefore he's not suitable as a 6th D and not good enough for top4 minutes etc.

Ericsson has been so careless, joining offensive rushes unnecessarily, making ill advised pinches and just generally being caught behind the play. I wouldn't want him on the top D pairing. Lidstroms great but i don't want him to be covering ericssons mistakes all game.

Exactly. I'm not sure pairing him with Lidstrom will help him any. It will inevitably make Ericsson look better but when Lidstrom retires we'll have an over-hyped Ericsson who comes crashing down to reality. Better to stick him with Salei or at best Stuart or Kronwall, someone who plays a style we want Ericsson to learn to play.

Exactly.

Anyone remember when Lilja was paired with Lidstrom back in 2006?

Meh I was living in another state 06-09, but I do remember Ericsson being paired with Lidstrom in the 09 playoffs and that seemed to work good. With him being paired with Lidstrom he would not be the person joining the rush that would be Lidstrom. The idea behind this is so Big E can stay behind and learn how to be more of the stay-at-home guy instead of trying to get too cute and fudge up.

With a frame like Ericsson that is what they should be focusing on with him. Get him to use his frame... bulk up more during the off season and forget (for now) the offence part of his game.

My problem with Ericsson is that while he wants to be an offensive defenseman, he doesn't even utilize his assets properly. The guy has a 100mph shot, and I've yet to see him consistently use it. I guess it's hard without time on the PP, but it'd be nice to see him do some actual damage.

I think he needs some kind of fire lit under him. Maybe with Kindl pushing him along this season, he'll develop a mean streak. The guy is too big to not be using his size to knock people out of the crease. He impressed me with some of his board play last season, but I still wanna see him get tougher overall.

I hate to say it, but I can see Kindl taking over his spot in maybe 2-3 months. The issue is, we could really use Ericsson on the PK. Without him in the line-up guys like Lidstrom and Kronwall will have to pick up some PK duty. Also, with Modano manning the 2nd PP right point, would Kindl even get any PP time along side Kronner?

While the line-up is pretty much set, there are still some big questions.

Guest Crymson

My problem with Ericsson is that while he wants to be an offensive defenseman, he doesn't even utilize his assets properly. The guy has a 100mph shot, and I've yet to see him consistently use it. I guess it's hard without time on the PP, but it'd be nice to see him do some actual damage.

I think he needs some kind of fire lit under him. Maybe with Kindl pushing him along this season, he'll develop a mean streak. The guy is too big to not be using his size to knock people out of the crease. He impressed me with some of his board play last season, but I still wanna see him get tougher overall.

I hate to say it, but I can see Kindl taking over his spot in maybe 2-3 months. The issue is, we could really use Ericsson on the PK. Without him in the line-up guys like Lidstrom and Kronwall will have to pick up some PK duty. Also, with Modano manning the 2nd PP right point, would Kindl even get any PP time along side Kronner?

While the line-up is pretty much set, there are still some big questions.

Ericsson is worthless on the PK. He's absolutely careless and does not use his size enough, and he thus far demonstrated that he has awful defensive awareness.

Guest Crymson

Well duh.

Bets on how long it takes until someone says that we should have kept Lebda and traded Ericsson?

Edited by Crymson

some guy just called nhl live on the nhl network and asked if darren helm should be moved to defense to get more minutes.

so i guess big E has to watch out for helmer too!

(personally, it was the dumbest question i have ever heard)

With our luck he'd win the Norris the first year with another team

he'd probably log 25 mins a night with the isles. wonder how much money yzerman has left to legitimize the bolts blueline?? ericsson needs tons of icetime or it seems like he gets laxidazical and kinda stupid.

he'd probably log 25 mins a night with the isles. wonder how much money yzerman has left to legitimize the bolts blueline?? ericsson needs tons of icetime or it seems like he gets laxidazical and kinda stupid.

Guest Crymson

Yes, with our luck based on a whopping two players. You do realize that there have been many others players who have gone on to do equally bad or even worse upon moving to other teams, right?

Guest Heaten

Yes, with our luck based on a whopping two players. You do realize that there have been many others players who have gone on to do equally bad or even worse upon moving to other teams, right?

I see nothing wrong hoping for the best of ex-Red Wings.