• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ram

NHL Gamecenter

Rate this topic

Hey everyone. Sorry to bore with another personal interest post. I am considering ordering NHL Gamecenter (the online version) this year to be able to watch every game. (1270 stream just isn't the same, sick of waiting for highlights on NHL.com). It's 159 bucks. I was wondering if anyone has experience with Gamecenter. Is it worth it? Did you have any problems? Are playoffs included with the subscription? Thanks everyone for any help. Only a few more days. Let's Go Wings!

Guest mjtm77

I have used it while it was on free trail and the connection was horrible could be because of all the people tho.

I ge it every year it's great. Never had a connection problem like was mentioned. A bit of buffeting once in a while but not bad. Good quality but not HDTV. No playoffs either when the games are national. Overall very enjoyable and worth the money.

Hey everyone. Sorry to bore with another personal interest post. I am considering ordering NHL Gamecenter (the online version) this year to be able to watch every game. (1270 stream just isn't the same, sick of waiting for highlights on NHL.com). It's 159 bucks. I was wondering if anyone has experience with Gamecenter. Is it worth it? Did you have any problems? Are playoffs included with the subscription? Thanks everyone for any help. Only a few more days. Let's Go Wings!

I first started using it 3 years ago and they have made several improvements since then. The quality is much better and I have experienced little to no connection dropouts. Highly reccomended. You get access to everygame from the past 3 years too which is cool.

I have used NHL Gamecenter live and hockeystreams.com as well. Both are very good. I like hockeystreams.com a little better because they have every game, a little cheaper, a cheaper trial period where you can buy a couple days of games to see how it works for you, archives, no blackouts, and have a lot more than just the NHL on.

Sold...when i bought the comcast package it was more expensive than $159 and the picture quality was sooo s***ty especially when they showed oiler games (go figure)...rather just watch it streaming, that way i don't have to set my dvr.

i bought 2 cables for $20 bucks on ebay so i can hook my laptop to my hdtv and it rules.

I'm in the same boat debating if i should get it. Last year i streamed almost every game i watched which worked better than going to a bar in the area and hoping to god they had fox sports detroit and would actually put the game on.

Is game center more reliable than streams? drumnj did an amazing job last year but my internet would crap out sometimes or the stream would just be laggy. does gamecenter have this problem?

I'd say gamecenter is 10x more stable than streams. Occasionally it would have to run at low quality for me. But that was probably my Internet connection, which is usually very fast. Quality also suffers sometimes over wifi but better still than most streams.

I'd say gamecenter is 10x more stable than streams. Occasionally it would have to run at low quality for me. But that was probably my Internet connection, which is usually very fast. Quality also suffers sometimes over wifi but better still than most streams.

I say your best bet is to try out both services. You can do that quite easily by signing up for a trial and just paying for a few days of Streams. I think you have to pay for a month of gamecenter. After you get a chance to see the quality, you can decide for yourself. I subscribed to Streams this year after being on gamecenter last year. Streams is much better IMHO.

I used streams during the playoffs and had a really hard time with it. I thought the quality was terrible and it lagged all over the place. It's certainly worth a try for a $5 tryout though. I think gamecenter has a day or two of free trial at the beginning of the season as well.

One more thing to consider: gamecenter was overrun with service calls last year to the point of it taking a week before they'd get back to you. But a very friendly customer service rep is on these boards and took care of me right away. So if you have issues you might be better off posting here.

FYI, I work in tech support for Gamecenter Live, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Here is a link to the Gamecenter Live FAQs for those interested, new features for this season are home and away video, the ability to stream directly to your PS3, Roku, or Boxee. NHL Vault (archives and classic games, included with GCL subscription) will be available on Sony Bravia Blu-Ray players and the iPad.

Also, for those making mention of hockeystreams.net, don't be surprised if that site gets shut down if it hasn't already been, the NHL is severly cracking down on unauthorized streaming sites charging money for hockey, (don't worry, I haven't told them about Drumnj, he doesn't charge)

Edited by McAwesome

(don't worry, I haven't told them about Drumnj, he doesn't charge)

*Has heart attack* :shocking:

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeew, that email you sent me got me so worried. I was afraid to contact you or even say anything, wasn't really sure what to do.

I'll always plan for it to be free, with perhaps a future option of my own flash server if people want to donate for bandwidth (it works now, just can only accept like 9 people). Still not sure how that will play out anyway.

Edit::

Oh and in my opinion GameCenter Live is the best investment if you are unable to purchase or afford CenterIce (and you live out of market). They are constantly improving the service and if you can afford to buy it, do so. Support the NHL, give them your money instead of some ****** over in the Netherlands. Free streams have their place, but will never be as good as the NHL's quality.

Edited by drumnj

My PS3 is becoming quite the solid investment as now I can stream games for free on my TV. Sure, the quality isn't HD but it gets the job done. I purchased NHL Center Ice for the past two seasons and it just really wasn't worth it, to be honest. GameCenter is basically the same thing.

*Has heart attack* :shocking:

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeew, that email you sent me got me so worried. I was afraid to contact you or even say anything, wasn't really sure what to do.

Sorry, didn't mean to freak you out. I would never sell out a fellow LGW member, I just recognized your handle from here when you emailed for support.

Guest Heaten

How does hockeystreams.com get away with charging for pirated hockey games? That's lower than low imo.

Guest Heaten

They don't charge for the games, they charge for the bandwidth. Bandwidth is not free.

Hog wash. They are charging to profit on illegal pirated content. I run 11 successful (legal) websites and know how much dedicated servers cost. Two yearly subscriptions pay for the bandwidth... any other subscriptions they get is 100% profit; these guys are making a business stealing content. Not sure how anyone can defend them.

Edited by Heaten

Hog wash. They are charging to profit on illegal pirated content. I run 11 successful (legal) websites and know how much dedicated servers cost. Two yearly subscriptions pay for the bandwidth... any other subscriptions they get is 100% profit; these guys are making a business stealing content. Not sure how anyone can defend them.

If you know how much that kind of thing costs, then you should also know the bandwidth costs. Don't try to bulls*** a bulls***ter. Video bandwidth is not free. If you run 11 legal websites that deal in video on demand, the bandwidth is one of the biggest costs you are going to have.

Guest Heaten

If you know how much that kind of thing costs, then you should also know the bandwidth costs. Don't try to bulls*** a bulls***ter. Video bandwidth is not free. If you run 11 legal websites that deal in video on demand, the bandwidth is one of the biggest costs you are going to have.

/facepalm

Whatever dude. unmetered bandwidth server packages start at $150 - $395 per month. Hockeystreams is somewhere in the middle. Do you tell a mechanic how to fix your vehicle when you take it into the shop for repairs? Online business is my career, and I am proud to say that I do it legally.

But whatever helps you sleep at night.

/facepalm

Whatever dude. unmetered bandwidth server packages start at $150 - $395 per month. Hockeystreams is somewhere in the middle. Do you tell a mechanic how to fix your vehicle when you take it into the shop for repairs? Online business is my career, and I am proud to say that I do it legally.

But whatever helps you sleep at night.

Good luck getting unlimited when you have thousands of users pushing that kind of bandwidth. I am also in the online industry, but I contract on the ISP side, and I am smart enough to know that those prices are not accurate. Providers like netelligent oversell their bandwidth all the time. They will not support thousands of users streaming video. If you think they will, then you are dreaming.

Guest Heaten

Good luck getting unlimited when you have thousands of users pushing that kind of bandwidth. I am also in the online industry, but I contract on the ISP side, and I am smart enough to know that those prices are not accurate. Providers like netelligent oversell their bandwidth all the time. They will not support thousands of users streaming video. If you think they will, then you are dreaming.

And I've built servers from the ground up and sold bandwidth. What's your point? They will support thousands of users. The facts remain the same, that website is selling intellectual property. Are you going to argue that it's not illegal now because you are an FBI agent and a Judge? :blink:

And I've built servers from the ground up and sold bandwidth. What's your point? They will support thousands of users. The facts remain the same, that website is selling intellectual property. Are you going to argue that it's not illegal now because you are an FBI agent and a Judge? :blink:

I am not arguing the intellectual property rights at all. I was merely correcting you in that the bandwidth costs are not a concern. If you want to change the subject in order to make a valid point so it makes you look right, then thats great. You can find someone else to debate with on that topic.

Guest Heaten

I am not arguing the intellectual property rights at all. I was merely correcting you in that the bandwidth costs are not a concern. If you want to change the subject in order to make a valid point so it makes you look right, then thats great. You can find someone else to debate with on that topic.

I already proved you wrong on the first point. I even sourced it from some random hosting service. One can even build a server in their own home or office if they so desire. It's not that complicating if you possess basic understanding. Not sure why this is so hard for you to understand?

I already proved you wrong on the first point. I even sourced it from some random hosting service. One can even build a server in their own home or office if they so desire. It's not that complicating if you possess basic understanding. Not sure why this is so hard for you to understand?

I can point out a lot of providers who say "unlimited" bandwidth, but when push comes to shove, they will not allow you to push that much. Residential broadband providers and hosted solutions may say "unlimited" but when you start pushing a lot through the provider, you will find your account suspended or canceled. True unlimited bandwidth costs are astronomical. If you knew the industry and how shared hosting works, you would understand that.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I know how the industry works and know companies that have lost hosting privileges because of excessive bandwidth when the provider false advertises, and you can find a lot of providers who say unlimited.

Edited by Nightfall