• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#41 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

heaten, as someone who also works in the web industry, you really are missing the point here. you seem to have your niche of knowledge and are not understanding at all what others are saying. its great you have 11 sites, i am sure your mom is proud, but thats not exactly something that is hard to do. sorry for the condescending attitude, its just getting really frustrating seeing you argue your point which makes no sense at all.

also, we get it; they are still streaming illegal content. no one is disputing that. people are just disputing your understanding of how much bandwidth costs.

Pure attack post with no substance. Good job providing nothing at all to the conversation.

Due to popular demand, I took some time to do a generic breakdown. An estimated cost for 55 viewers per day @ 2 games (obviously there's a lot of variables). 55 viewers can watch a total of 6-hours of game for approx $1.10 per day / cost of bandwidth usage. (though most people won't watch 2 full games per day if they have a life or family, so the cost averages about $0.54 cents per game) -- **but I'll give those who defend hockeystream's action the benefit of the doubt.

So for 55 people (who subscribe for 1 day) pay $7 each = $385 in total payment to Hockeystreams.com.. Hockeystreams' total cost in bandwidth usage for 55 viewers = $60.50 (estimated probably double to what they actually pay). Therefore, Hockeystreams just profited $324.50 in just one day (based on 55 viewers).

I'm sure Hockeystreams.com has more than 55 viewers, so I bet they profit more than $2000 daily for stealing content and reselling to you. But, go ahead and keep on thinking they don't profit anything and that they are a noble new-era Robin Hood for stealing copyrighted content and giving to the poor (who can't afford the extra monies to buy games legally).

**calculated very high and bloated bandwidth usage based on the webmaster not knowing how to preserve bandwidth and averaging every viewer to watch two full games per day.

Edited to add source to back up my calculations:
Streaming video hosting costs

Edited by Heaten, 01 October 2010 - 02:51 PM.

#42 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

it was an attack post because multiple posters have repeatedly pointed out where your flaws in logic are yet you continue to ignore them.

as far as that link you give, it makes me laugh reading. it gives all its benchmarks in reference to 56k connections. so i looked at the page source, it was made with frontpage version 3 which is frontpage 98. so you are looking at a website that is at least 10 years old. good luck with that though!

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#43 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

it was an attack post because multiple posters have repeatedly pointed out where your flaws in logic are yet you continue to ignore them.

as far as that link you give, it makes me laugh reading. it gives all its benchmarks in reference to 56k connections. so i looked at the page source, it was made with frontpage version 3 which is frontpage 98. so you are looking at a website that is at least 10 years old. good luck with that though!

Yet you can't prove anything I claimed was incorrect (and you can't even provided a credible source to back anything up), instead you say "uhhhh, that site looks outdated to me so it's not credible, doh" LMAO! Funny how that works.

Keep attacking, it's really proving you have superior knowledge in the matter. :thumbup:

Edited by Heaten, 01 October 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#44 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hey children, do you mind taking your ***** fest somewhere else. Has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Posted Image

#45 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

Hey children, do you mind taking your ***** fest somewhere else. Has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

You got it.

Anyone is welcome to contact me on SKYPE, I accept clickbank,PayPal and all major credit cards. Time is money and I charge to educate. PM me if interested.

Edited by Heaten, 01 October 2010 - 03:59 PM.

#46 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

I don't have the time to explain all the nuts and bolts aspects about servers unless you would like to pay me for my time (if so, shoot me a PM and we'll get started with training over SKYPE).

In laymen's terms:
Because something is posted on the front page of Hockeystreams.com doesn't means it's true. Use common sense... they are not streaming hockey games for virtually free. They are profiting from illegal pirated content. Robbers don't heist a bank only to steal enough money to pay for the gas in the get-away car. C'mon man, use common sense.

Calling bulls*** on you again.

I checked out their streams myself, genius, looking at the bandwidth used through my own router and through looking at the stream properties via WMP of what I was streaming. That doesn't lie. 600kbps - 1864kbps.

How much bandwidth do you calculate they use per user per stream in kbps? Keeping in mind the delivered data is ALREADY compressed data (similar to the data DirecTV and Dish use for their live streams), so a further compression of it results in substantial amount of quality loss.

Two yearly subscriptions pay for the bandwidth... any other subscriptions they get is 100% profit

Hockeystreams' total cost in bandwidth usage for 55 viewers = $60.50 (estimated probably double to what they actually pay).

Two yearly subscriptions, $199. Your new mathematical philosophy, $60, for 55 users, of course.

Sorry, but your math sucks, and you can't even keep straight how much bandwidth streaming really costs, nor do your sources agree with your statements. Obviously you know your elbow from your ass on the issue which indicates you must be in sales or something that requires little actual technical knowledge. :clap:

In layman's terms: You're full of s***. Now sod off.

Anyhow, sorry 10 Minute Misconduct, I don't feel like allowing someone to blatantly bulls*** people about costs to scare them away from business. The legal issue is another one.

To the OP, in all honesty, I'd go with hockeystreams. It's been up several years now, and it is not constrained by the shoddy blackout restrictions that GameCenter or even the TV Center Ice is. My experience with GameCenter was a rather large number of blackouts as they didn't provide any Wings games beyond regional (FOX Sports Net, Comcast, MSG, etc.), which meant blackouts on Versus, NBC, FOX2, and so on. I really don't like the idea of scrambling to find out at the last minute if a game I've looked forward to or made plans for is going to be scroo'd. Hence, why I recommend hockeystreams this time around.

Edited by Shoreline, 01 October 2010 - 04:41 PM.

#47 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

In layman's terms: You're full of s***. Now sod off.

^ Shorline get's seriously butthurt when he get's owned. :hehe:

Still can't source your claims? Because you are clueless in the matter. Face it dude, you are fighting a losing battle.

#48 best poster in LGW history

best poster in LGW history

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:11 PM

wow, heaten dropping some real talk in this thread. nice work.

dobbles OWNED like a slave.

#49 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

Uh, hello, hockeystreams.. what better source for data than the very site delivering it, which is what the discussion was relating to. And why would I bother getting into a source war with you? You don't even address any of the data provided on hockeystreams and what I gave you. Simple tactic -- respond to the only part of the post without data, commence with insult and patting self on the back. Low self esteem much? Edit: Someone gave you a +1 for your post, but if you need any more of a pick-me-up, I'm available for a hug. Unlike you, I'm actually good at something I declare myself to be.

Edited by Shoreline, 01 October 2010 - 05:18 PM.

#50 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

www.hockeystreams.com is where it's at for me.

Granted, I didn't use it much for live game action primarily due to delays in game action/feeds being off, but that's not really a perfect science to begin with (i.e. multiple TVs at the sports bar with the same game being just a few seconds off).

Used it primarily as a backup option when other streams might've failed or if I missed a game that night.

Paid $69.99 for a 1/2 year which got me through most season, solid video quality. It's not 100% perfect as you might have a stream not have the best performance due to natural things like site traffic and people watching the games at the same time. But it's as good as it gets I think for watching online if you aren't watching a game on ESPN3.com (which is VERY SOLID quality the few times I've watched football or baseball games on there).

I subscribed again this year, I'd save a few dollars and go this route/

#51 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

wow, heaten dropping some real talk in this thread. nice work.

dobbles OWNED like a slave.

what are you talking about? heaten has already shown he gets his information from a 10 year old website. i think its quite obvious he is not qualified.

here is a real simple way to show how his thought process is flawed. in his post where he bases his calculations off of totally flawed information, he comes up with 60 dollars a day for hockey streams bandwidth costs. yet, in order to serve up video to that many people, the site would need multiple t1 lines or several t3 lines. there is no way that sort of bandwidth can be had for 60 bucks a day. even on his outdated link, it lists 800 a month for a t1 line. i wouldn't be surprised if their bandwidth costs is in the 5 figures a month.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#52 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:49 PM

whelp, it's been fun and I said my peace. It's time for me to gracefully bow out of this thread since the mudd slinging is going full force while people fail to back up anything they claim.

Support internet piracy, order Hockeystreams.com NOW! So NHL ticket prices, NHL Center Ice, and Game Center prices will eventually increase for legit paying customers :thumbup:

Good day ;)

#53 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

its about time. maybe be a little more informed next time you open your mouth.

but go ahead and keep harping on the piracy angle. because there are so many people in here defending that part of the equation!

#54 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

This is a nice change from the usual LGW enforcer debate. :hehe:

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#55 SpIkE

SpIkE

Rookie

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

I've got a question; how is the picture quality of Center Ice games through Comcast on an HDTV? I've read somewhere its atrocious, is it really that bad? What is better picture quality, Gamecenter Live or Comcast Center Ice on HDTV?

#56 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 284 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:36 PM

As far as Gamecenter is concerned, can you start at the beginning of an in progress game? The one thing I liked about Center Ice was I could DVR all the games and skip the commercials. I usually didn't have time to start the game until about 9, so I'd play my recording from the beginning and usually be about caught up by the end.

Is Hockey Streams illegal? Because if it is, why are we even talking about it?

#57 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for all the info McAwesome. I'm really excited to learn of this PS3 app, although a little disappointed to hear that it will cost $10.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#58 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

Because it's debatable whether or not the site is illegal. Only thing for sure is if it got shut down, it would obviously have been illegal. Voila. Moving on..

Hockeystreams does seem like one of the best if not the best option, particularly with those who don't have low monthly bandwidth caps, or maybe no or limited cable/satellite options.

Has anyone with an iPhone tried hockeystreams?

Edited by Shoreline, 02 October 2010 - 08:52 PM.

#59 jmad

jmad

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

As far as Gamecenter is concerned, can you start at the beginning of an in progress game? The one thing I liked about Center Ice was I could DVR all the games and skip the commercials. I usually didn't have time to start the game until about 9, so I'd play my recording from the beginning and usually be about caught up by the end.

Yes you can but it's a bit tricky. When you select the game it goes directly to the live feed. I would turn the volume down and cover the top of the screen so I couldn't see the score, then move the little progress bar back to the beginning. You can then skip commercials. Theres a little skip 1 minute ahead button too.

#60 JoeBuddy

JoeBuddy

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

So I have decided that I am going to go to Game Center Live thanks to this thread. However, money is a little tight at the moment since I am a broke-college-student. Does anyone know of any promo codes that I may be able to use? I'm sure it's the same for many of you these days, but every dollar counts.
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!"
- Mickey Redmond observing Tomas Holmstrom getting hit by the Dallas Stars. (January 12, 2001)