• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IILeiBlazeII

Babs gives Miller a vote of confidence

Rate this topic

I like Miller as well. He's young and could still be developing, and already has all the tools for a good 3rd/4th liner. But I would rather keep Ritola to at least see what he can do at this level.

But whoever stays will be the 13th/14th forward, barring injuries. It would take a serious string of injuries for either to get more than few games above the 4th line. It's not like it's a hugely important role. So either way I don't think it's worth making a big deal about. And I think there's a fair chance Ritola can clear waivers. Hopefully he will, and then takes Draper's spot next year.

He had balls to try a move like that in one of his first NHL games, and it kind of worked. He has some real potential and should, at the very least, get a chance with the wings.

Ouch! Sabotaged by Miller!!!

If it meant keeping Ritola, then yeah. Just gets me that we would give up a guy that we have had in the system for so long, without even giving him a chance to play.

Leino was an unfortunate lost, but he got his chance in the Wings lineup, was terrible, and so we made the only sensible decision at the time (also forced by cap concerns) and let him go. Sure I wish we could have gotten more for him, but there you have it.

At least give Ritola a real chance. There is no way he clears waivers.

Leino was in the right place and the righ time with the flyers. He added some points and had some fortuitous bounces BUT if you look at the tape of the cup finals...Leino couldnt stay on the puck and was really guilty of bad turnovers- that part got overlooked because he was putting up points.

He didn't fit here- I dont miss him a bit...and now that Huds is back, I REALLY dont miss him.

Guest Heaten

The Modano deal isn't looking too good today. I have not been impressed with Modano at all. In fact, he's been showing exactly what Dallas fans have described him to a "T".... the elements that peed'd Dallas fans off. If you're whipping boy on the Dallas Stars, then you gotta have major flaws.

I don't wish long term injuries on anyone, but this year I kinda hope Draper has sore balls for awhile.

Sorry Draper :ph34r:

This won't solve the problem though. There will still be 14 forwards, so Ritola would likely see limited time behind Miller as the 13th. Knowing the Wings, Drapes would probably be re-signed for a year if he misses 50+ games this year.

Leino was in the right place and the righ time with the flyers. He added some points and had some fortuitous bounces BUT if you look at the tape of the cup finals...Leino couldnt stay on the puck and was really guilty of bad turnovers- that part got overlooked because he was putting up points.

He didn't fit here- I dont miss him a bit...and now that Huds is back, I REALLY dont miss him.

I don't know about that. I remember watching the cup finals and every time Leino was on the ice he made something happen. It's like the puck was following him around. He was great; however, I think the flyers are a better fit for him anyway. He didn't fit our puck possession system that well. He seemed to thrive on a line with hard hitters who stuck up for him. I'm not sure he ever would have had that success here.

I don't know about that. I remember watching the cup finals and every time Leino was on the ice he made something happen. It's like the puck was following him around. He was great; however, I think the flyers are a better fit for him anyway. He didn't fit our puck possession system that well. He seemed to thrive on a line with hard hitters who stuck up for him. I'm not sure he ever would have had that success here.

I agree he is a better fit on the Flyers.

My point to Motown was that at least he was given a chance full time in the Wings lineup. He didn't fit with us, so we moved on. I just don't like the fact that Ritola never gets that chance, a guy who has been in our system for a while, just so we can keep another 4th liner who was claimed off waivers from Tamps, and has peaked in terms of skill.

My point to Motown was that at least he was given a chance full time in the Wings lineup. He didn't fit with us, so we moved on. I just don't like the fact that Ritola never gets that chance, a guy who has been in our system for a while, just so we can keep another 4th liner who was claimed off waivers from Tamps, and has peaked in terms of skill.

There is such a log-jam in the Wings top-9 that Ritola likely wouldn't have a shot for another two seasons (including this one). Without Modano, Abby would likely have been on the third line. Other than Modano, the Wings have all top-9 players signed for at least the next two seasons.

Guest mindfly

So if Miller has a spot, and draper is untouchable they will go with 14 forwards 7 defensemen and 2 goalies?

Miller and Draper starts as extra forwards, right? Kindl already has the 7th D spot...

Miller is only 26, and last year was his first full season in the NHL. He could still improve a bit.

The Modano deal isn't looking too good today. I have not been impressed with Modano at all. In fact, he's been showing exactly what Dallas fans have described him to a "T".... the elements that peed'd Dallas fans off. If you're whipping boy on the Dallas Stars, then you gotta have major flaws.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. The trade looks as good today as it did the day it happened. You should have used the time that Kenny has given you to come to grips with the painfully obvious fact that we weren't going to be able to keep everyone. But, then again, he may clear waivers.

How about we not judge Modano after only a handful of preseason shifts. He's not here to be dominant. He's not here to be a leader. He's not expected to be the face of the franchise. He's just here to play third line center. Seriously, enjoy the luxury of having so much depth that we can afford to part with a decent prospect.

I just hope Draper starts the season on LTIR and allows them to stay under the cap and roster limit for the first month. Let Draper's old legs rest a little more, allow Ritola to play some games, and wait to see if anyone else gets injured. If there is an injury, then activate Draper when ready. If everyone is healthy when he is ready to come off LTIR, then you have to trade or waive someone. At least that helps buy some time.

Edited by South Dakota wings fan

I had posted this in the training camp thread.

Ken Kal and John Keating MCed the event and kept us laughing while we ate until Ken Holland showed up for a question and answer session. As he was talking, he discussed the future of goaltending in Detroit and felt Howie was the long term answer, and also mentioned he was a big fan of veteran players, indicating that Osgood (and players like Draper too) complimented the new guys on the team because they were "company" men who would do anything (take less pay and less of a role) for the team's sake. He mentioned he had read on the internet how "people are saying 'well so and so is too old' and such," so for those who wonder if they read and visit LGW, maybe. ;) I wished I had a tape recorder because he discussed a lot of interesting points that many on here would love to listen too (shoot outs, new prospects who've impressed him, the team this season), but sadly, I didn't have one handy.

Holland also mentioned two things in regards to the vets and Draper. One, he made the point of saying, (me paraphrasing) "Why do we keep the older guys around? Well, we keep them on the team, and every 4 years or so we're driving down Woodward, and they're usually in a convertible somewhere down the line having gotten us there." He also mentioned that during one of the Phoenix games last season, Helm had lost a face off that resulted in a game winning goal, and at practice the next day, who was it out on the ice with Helm, practicing all the "strategies" for winning a face-off? Draper, the "player at the top of the league the previous year in face-offs won."

Like it or not, Holland likes his cocktail of veteran and younger players and knows the fine line he walks in regards to bringing new players up in a timely fashion but also getting the most value (in his eyes) out of the experienced players too.