No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Dish Network and FS Detroit negotiating

Rate this topic

Attention Red Wings fans: FOX negotiating with Dish Network

by George Malik on 09/30/10 at 05:10 PM ET

Comments (15)

Per Fox Sports Detroit, of significant note to Red Wings fans who subscribe to Dish Network:

FOX is currently negotiating with DISH Network regarding the terms by which they carry its cable networks FX, National Geographic Channel and the 19 regional sports networks, including FOX Sports Detroit. The deadline for this negotiation is 3:00 AM Eastern tonight/tomorrow morning. If DISH Network fails to reach fair agreements with FOX, their subscribers may lose access to programming on the affected networks as of Friday, Oct. 1. Negotiations are ongoing and hope this issue can be resolved.

Only DISH Network subscribers could lose FX, National Geographic Channel and FOX Sports Detroit programming. All other systems will continue to receive FOX Sports Detroit and the other networks mentioned.

DISH customers can get more information and leave a comment at the following website: www.GetWhatIPaidFor.com. Or, by calling 1-877-99-IPAID (1-877-994-7243)

Affected games initially would be:

- Tigers: Friday thru Sunday at Baltimore

- Red Wings: Friday vs. [Toronto] on FS Plus (preseason); Sunday vs. Pittsburgh (preseason); Oct. 8 vs. Anaheim (regular season opener); Oct. 9 at Chicago .

link

- Pistons – Tuesday at Miami (vs. LeBron & company)

My link

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - NASDAQ: DISH) - Oct. 1, 2010 - DISH Network L.L.C. reports today that FOX Networks is blocking DISH Network's access to 19 FOX Regional Sports Networks and other programming. FOX is demanding a new contract with an unprecedented rate increase of more than 50 percent. FOX's removal of the channels follows the programmer's national TV, print and web advertising campaign designed to intimidate DISH Network and its customers into paying the rate increase. FOX has flatly refused DISH Network's request to allow customers to continue to watch these FOX channels during the negotiations.

These negotiations with FOX do not affect local FOX TV stations, FOX News or FOX Business News.

"DISH Network is not going to allow FOX or any programmer to bully our customers into paying such an unconscionable price increase," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "FOX has a long history of trying to shake down pay TV providers, including Cablevision, Time Warner, and Bright House."

Shull continued, "Our customers should not be held hostage in order to finance FOX's irresponsible acquisition of sports rights. Consumers are already burdened enough in this challenging economy."

DISH Network will continue to negotiate in good faith for a fair deal with FOX to help restore the sports programming and prevent outrageous rate increases in this challenging economic environment. Â In the meantime, during the FOX lockout, DISH Network will make the following channels available to all affected customers at no additional charge: HD Net Movies, HD Theater, NBA TV, New England Sports Network, NFL Network, NHL Network, Altitude Sports, Big Ten Network, Comcast SportsNet California, Comcast SportsNet Chicago, Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, Comcast Sports Network Mid-Atlantic, Comcast Sports New England, ESPN Classic, FOX Sports Northwest, FOX Sports Pittsburgh, FOX Sports Rocky Mountain, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network2, SportsNet New York, and SportsTime Ohio.

It doesn't look like these channels are going to be much help for us. I think I'd rather have the issue with Versus, at least that was only a few games.

I'm assuming (and hoping) it won't since Center Ice is a separate service DISH Network offers to it's subscribers.

If it does - then I certainly hope there'll be an alternate feed (preferably in HD) that us Red Wing fans can watch.

Yeah, that's my hopes as well. I didn't know if they would not allow any Fox feed as a bargaining tool or what but here is hoping it doesn't affect Center Ice.

Just got off the phone with DISH Network.

The service rep there said that the NHL Center Ice package will not have any issues, and she also had checked with her "supervisor" (was put on hold) to confirm that those of us with Center Ice should still be able to view games if they are aired on FSN Detroit.

Awesome! Thanks for checking on that.

Does anyone know if this will effect tonights game? I would rather watch the Fox HD feed then NHL Network as I need to here Ken and Mick and am not sure which feed NHLNet is using.

Just checked and it isnt listed anymore until the replay at 1am (which I am guessing is now blocked out anyways). So it looks like its NHLNet

Guest Heaten

Last year I signed a 2-year contract. Now I want to cancel it. They better not charge a disconnection fee. I called Dishnetwork and they trying to tell me that if they agree to Fox's terms, my bill will double. Lol! So my bill will be $195 per month because of Fox? GTFO dishnetwork!

I read this at first then took a double take to check that it said Dish Network...phew.

If this happened with DirecTV, I'd probably have to smack a hoe. My cable is already gimped enough at my new apartment. No FSD would probably cause me to lose my mind.

Does anyone know if this will effect tonights game? I would rather watch the Fox HD feed then NHL Network as I need to here Ken and Mick and am not sure which feed NHLNet is using.

Just checked and it isnt listed anymore until the replay at 1am (which I am guessing is now blocked out anyways). So it looks like its NHLNet

Do you still have programming on FSD right now? If you do then we should be ok until they cut the signal.

Last year I signed a 2-year contract. Now I want to cancel it. They better not charge a disconnection fee. I called Dishnetwork and they trying to tell me that if they agree to Fox's terms, my bill will double. Lol! So my bill will be $195 per month because of Fox? GTFO dishnetwork!

Good luck with them if you do decide to try to cancel. They are very inflexible with something and I doubt they'll waive the fee if you actually cancel them. I spent 6 months trying to clear something up with weekly calls to them when we canceled them about 4 years ago. Their customer service is lacking.

Guest Heaten

My chat session with dishnetwork:

Michael N.: Thank you how can I help you today sir?

me: I subscribed to dishnetwork for Fox and FX. Apparently I am going to be charged a disconnection fee. Why am I being punished because Dish is incapable of providing the services I was told to receive and pay for?

Michael N.: Our intent is not to punish you but if you turn off your service before the end of your agreement then cancellation fees would apply.

me: Then give me my channels that I was told to receive. You can't have both

me: This is a scam, really. Hype up to make a 2-year contract, then take the important stuff away and say "too bad, sucks to be you!"

(MangTH) Michael N.: The agreement that holds you to the cancellation fee does state that Programming and packages are subject to change. How understanding would you be if any provider increased the price of there service by 50%? Would you simply acknowledge the increase and pay the bill, or would you do what you can to get your charges under control?

me: Lol @ 50%. What a load of bullsh#t

me: So let me get this straight. I am paying for services that I don't get. I get penalized a disconnection fee so I can find a service provided who can offer the channels, and my bill remains the same price as if I am receiving the channels in question. Win-win for DishNetWork. Lose-Lose for the consumer. My butt hurts, I need lube!

Guest Heaten

Update:

If you continue arguing with DishNetWork on the matter, they'll give you $5.00 off your bill for 12 months. That's $60 bucks savings!

This is unbelievable. They better get this s*** straightened out before the regular season starts or I'm done with them. They can take the cancellation fee's and shove em' up their ass. My credit sucks as it is, what the hell do I care if I don't pay?

I'm glad that I am free to leave them when I want. I'd rather not get locked into someone new but it would save me some money too because they seem to give you a break for the first 6 months - year. Going to start doing some research just in case I do need to get rid of them.

I was considering Center Ice if this continues, but I really can't afford that. Maybe enough complaining can get you it free, of course you know they'll never do that, but give you credits monthly that add up.

Edited by WizardOfOz30

just saw the commercial on my comcast FSD... Seems like they are not resolving this anytime soon.

First VS... now FSD, seems like DT is a winner!

Comcrap is better than DT... just took a few years to fully appreciate it. Glad the lakehouse contract with DT is now up!!

Same thing happened with DirectTv last year over Vs. I'm not angry with DISH. I'm pissed with FoxSports for holding the channels hostage while they demand upwards of a 50% price increase. I'm sorry, but that's basically blackmail. The MSG network is demanding that DISH carry a regional music video channel as part of their nationwide programming. No thank you. MTV sucks bad enough.

Comcast (owner of Versus) did this to Directv last season, so maybe Fox thinks they deserve more money at DishNet. However you look at it, just blame Comcast, it's always their fault :P

Well if this does get people thinking of switching, I'd be willing to help pay for a partial of your Directv bill (see topic in my sig).

Why anyone would go with Dish Network over DirecTV is amazing to me.

wait until your contract is up and your monthly bills goes up 30 bucks a month. then let me know how "good" directv is.

to add to this thread. Fox Sports is being lame as hell in this situation. dont these asstards know there is thing an economic problem right now and they want to add more useless bills for their gain? they can go f*** themselves.

Guest Heaten

Why anyone would go with Dish Network over DirecTV is amazing to me.

Last year when Direct TV and Versus was going through that major (and lingering) contract dispute, I thought to myself "why anyone would go with Direct TV over Dish Network is amazing to me."

Guess Direct TV isn't so great after all, is it?

Last year when Direct TV and Versus was going through that major (and lingering) contract dispute, I thought to myself "why anyone would go with Direct TV over Dish Network is amazing to me."

Guess Direct TV isn't so great after all, is it?

Directv is the same as every other TV provider out there. They all have contracts with channels and want the best deal for them. If the channel or network wants more money, then there is a holdout. Uverse pulled the plug on the Hallmark channel earlier this year for the same reasons.

Guest Heaten

Directv is the same as every other TV provider out there. They all have contracts with channels and want the best deal for them. If the channel or network wants more money, then there is a holdout. Uverse pulled the plug on the Hallmark channel earlier this year for the same reasons.

Glad you understood my point :thumbup:

Ya know, I am so sick of these cable and satelite companies charging out the ass for their programming. It is starting to get real old. This spring I cancelled Dish Network and went with ATT U-Verse and they were just as bad. So I said the hell with all of ya, went to Charter, got the best internet for 45 bucka a month and now I will pirate all the games for free. I basically pay 45 bucks a month and can watch whatever I want when I want with the internet as apposed to 130 bucks for things I cannot control! Hmmmmmmmm!

Guest best poster in LGW history

Ya know, I am so sick of these cable and satelite companies charging out the ass for their programming. It is starting to get real old. This spring I cancelled Dish Network and went with ATT U-Verse and they were just as bad. So I said the hell with all of ya, went to Charter, got the best internet for 45 bucka a month and now I will pirate all the games for free. I basically pay 45 bucks a month and can watch whatever I want when I want with the internet as apposed to 130 bucks for things I cannot control! Hmmmmmmmm!

i've just reported a certain don tottingham to the columbia authorities.

have a nice day.

So will this affect Center Ice if you are a Dish customer and purchased it?

I haven't read the other replys so excuse me if I'm redundant;

This can't affect Center Ice as CI has different contractual obligations than Fox Sports. On dish, there are separate Fox Sports channels that you can subscribe, while CI is a separate pay per view service.