• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Dish Network and FS Detroit negotiating

Rate this topic

Christ, I had all kinds of problems getting DirecTV hooked up! First it was a 2 week wait to get it in. They get here last Thursday & unhook my Dish Network, start hooking up the DirecTV only to find that they were missing a part they needed. Had to come back Friday at noon. Well, Friday at noon I get a call - still don't have the part, will be there tomorrow (Saturday) at noon. Saturday at noon comes, no DirecTV guy. Finally at 3pm I call DirecTV after wasting my whole day off, and they have no record of the guy coming out. I said forget it, cancelled my order & called Charter. Charter had a guy out to my house the next day (Sunday) to install cable. Of course before that someone from DirecTV just shows up on Sunday morning - well after I cancelled my DirecTV order, saying he was there to fix the Dish Network sattelite so we'd have TV until they'd be back to hook up the DirecTV - IN TWO WEEKS! I told him to get lost. The Charter guy shows up 2 & a half hours late, starts hooking it all up, it gets dark out, he can't finish. So he had to come back yesterday (Monday - day 5 of this fiasco) & FINALLY, I have cable hooked up! Good God, why is it so hard to get someone to do a job? It's like pulling teeth to GIVE MY MONEY to someone!

End result, we have Charter cable hooked up (which is cool because now I can watch the Saginaw Spirit re-broadcasts throughout the week)complete w/NHL Center Ice - all good. Bye bye Dish Network!

The reason you get crappy service is because they are all contractors that don't really care as long as they get paid for the job.

I had a similar problem, not as bad when I switched from Dish to cable a while back. They contractor came out and hooked everything up, didn't completely finish but told me to call the cable company if I needed him to come back later that day. I called and of course the cable company has no record of the guy that was here so they couldn't contact him. On top of that, the cable company had some deal where you dump Dish and they'll give you some deal, but you had to let them take your equipment to send back to Dish. I don't know why I was so stupid, but that contractor ended up losing or misplacing the stuff and not sending it back. So I spent about 3 months dealing with cable and Dish trying to get it straightened so I didn't have to pay the outrageous fees for the stuff.

Needless to say, this is one of the mistakes I will regret because I was so pissed at the poor customer service from the cable company I ended up back with Dish. The only good thing is that I'm not under contract with them anymore and when I move I will not be keeping their service.

I went with DISH because Direct TV didn't have Versus at the time and it looked like at the time it was going to be awhile for them to work it out. I want to switch to Direct TV but I am afraid of a future FOX and Direct TV negotiation dispute. Because Direct TV is promoting FOX hardcore right now doesn't mean there won't be a dispute when contract time comes up. Direct TV is banking on easy sales right now and 2 year contracts.

That said, I want to switch, I just don't like musical chairs and can't get a straight answer by Direct TV when their FOX Sports contract is up.

No one really seems to fess up to what the real issue is - all Dish says is FOX wants 50% more. They dont state that FOX wants to raise their rates 50%, just that they want more. From trolling other boards, it appears FOX wants Dish to put their RSNs on their lowest tier (which Direct already does BTW). Since FOX revenues are based on the number of subs that get their channel, this would cause Dish to pay them more (which makes their claim of 50% increase kinda disingenuous though somewhat accurate I guess). Again, this issue has already been remedied by Direct though who knows if another issue may arise.

There is a person who appears to be fairly knowledgeable of the innards of Directv, and he states their FOX contract isnt up until end of 2010. And that they have a good working relationship with Direct since Rupert previously owned Direct (still has some shares so the story goes). There's even talk of perhaps a tad of collusion between them in this current squabble. GASP - collusion in the sports (sorta) world? Who woulda thunk....

I should have held out a lil more b4 switching to DirecTV - would have missed yesterdays game....

10/29/10 - 10:30 AM PDT

Dish Network, Fox Close To Reaching Carriage Agreement

Dish Network and Fox are close to cutting a carriage deal for Fox, FX, the National Geographic Channel and all 19 of Fox' RSNs, ending a bitter four-week series of high-level negotiations, according to sources. The two sides face a Sunday deadline to cut a deal or Dish subs risk having Fox owned-and-operated broadcast channels go dark. Dish dropped the RSNs, FX and NatGeo on Oct. 1, unable to come to terms on a new deal. Talks heated up this week as the deadline for the broadcast channel approached and RSNs started covering the new NBA season. Sources say that the two sides were involved in tense, round-the-clock negotiations. A formal agreement is expected to be signed and announced before the Sunday deadline. Deal terms are not known, though Dish Network was seeking similar terms to the deal Time Warner Cable signed with Fox earlier this year. News of Dish’s deal could increase pressure on Cablevision to cut a deal with Fox. Fox' broadcast channels went dark on Cablevision systems Oct. 15, and the two sides have exchanged acrimonious barbs through the press. Sources say Fox and Cablevision still are far apart in their negotiations (John Ourand, THE DAILY).

Done tho they lost me. I got a much better deal as a new sub to DirecTV than what Dish was offering me to stay (and up until today, that did not include local hockey nor any FSN HD feeds on CI. Again, they can blow me).

DISH Network and Fox Networks Reach Comprehensive Programming Agreement

Viewers Ensured Continued Fox Broadcasting and Fox Television Stations Programming in Major Cities

FX, National Geographic Channel, and Fox's 19 Regional Sports Networks Immediately Restored to DISH Network Lineup

LOS ANGELES and ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Oct 29, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) and Fox Networks, an operating unit of News Corporation (Nasdaq: NWS), today announced a wide-ranging distribution agreement to provide the third-largest video distributor in the United States with continued access to programming from Fox Broadcasting and Fox local television stations in major cities. The agreement also included carriage of FX, National Geographic Channel, and Fox's 19 regional sports networks, which were restored for DISH Network viewers Friday.

Edited by TheWestWing

Just got an email from Dish - all Fox is back on:

DISH Network is pleased to announce that we have reached an agreement with FOX and that your FX and National Geographic channels have been restored. You may have also had a FOX Regional Sports Network channel removed and this programming has been restored as well. The new agreement also ensures the continued carriage of all your FOX local channels.

We appreciate your patience during this time and regret the inconvenience this may have caused you. Starting now, you can enjoy a variety of great programming that will be offered as a free preview for a limited time:

* Sony Movie Channel — Enjoy uncut, uninterrupted and remastered theatrical movies. Available on channels 386 (HD) and 387 (SD)

* NBA League Pass — Catch the excitement of your favorite NBA basketball teams—right from your living room. Available on channels 560-572

For more detailed information, including dates in which these channels will run in Free Preview, please visit www.dish.com/preview or tune to Channel 102.

DISH Network thanks you for your loyalty and for standing by our side.

Sincerely,

DISH Network

Guest Heaten

I ordered Direct TV today and now DISH and FOX settled. Guess I'll be canceling my Direct TV order since I am still under contract with DISH.... after my contract ends, I'm switching to Direct TV.

Edited by Heaten

I ordered Direct TV today and now DISH and FOX settled. Guess I'll be canceling my Direct TV order since I am still under contract with DISH.... after my contract ends, I'm switching to Direct TV.

Damn, I already spent that $10/mth.

Interesting thing was, I just went into contract with Dish in Sep. Was worried they'd ding me the cancellation fee. Called corp first and they said 'no, we'll ding you.' Called to cancel on Wed and the rep said 'NP - we'll waive that for you.' We'll see.....

Got an email from them this AM - 'Shane - come back. We'll give you $15/mth off'. No way. DTV DVR lil klugy but I'm staying with Direct. For now.....

I'm still not receiving any Fox games in HD - And I always have in the past few years (at least a portion of the games being aired have been in HD) This is extremely frustrating....

Edited by tiff_luvs_homer