• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:44 AM

Great hit. Wrestling match doesn't count as a fight. 19 minutes of penalties for huggytime has to suck.

What was the unsportsmanlike for?

Retaliation on a clean hit. I think that's something the NHL is trying to cut down on. Don't be surprised to see more of those in addition to instigating on these lameass clean hit retaliation scrums.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#22 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

From Toronto Star:

Schenn also took on Detroitís Justin Abdelkader in a lively third-period scrap. Schenn toppled his foe, but took a pair of minors, a five-minute fighting major, and a 10-minute misconduct.

They conveniently left the "why" out of the account.

From Toronto Sun:

Schenn not only recovered from a back injury in time for the game, he was at his best positionally and even tried a solo rush. Taking exception to a low Justin Abdelkader hip check, he also won the ensuing fight

It's nice to see Schenn being noticed by the print media again.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#23 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

Visors........Ditch the damn things before you fight...
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#24 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

Abdelkader, one of my favourites, that hit and willingness to fight a prime example why! :thumbup:

Ken Holland: Heís (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, heís a puck hound.

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,555 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

good hit by Abby. He got there a tad late (not a late hit, but it would've been cleaner had he got to the boards and not got Schenn in the leg). Still a good hip check though, and good to see him sticking up for himself.

It just shows what's exciting about Abby, but also how the Wings won't be relying on him for fighting.

#26 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:15 PM

Nice check, I LOVE those! I thought those kind of hit were outlawed in the NHL now, any hipchecks below the waist?

It's at hi knees:
Posted Image

I love those hits, I think they should be legal. Too bad about the fight though, I give Apple Fritters major props for sticking up for himself even if he lost the fight.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#27 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

Nice check, I LOVE those! I thought those kind of hit were outlawed in the NHL now, any hipchecks below the waist?

It's at hi knees:
Posted Image

I love those hits, I think they should be legal. Too bad about the fight though, I give Apple Fritters major props for sticking up for himself even if he lost the fight.

1. schenn's legs are extended
2. you can't see abdelkader's hip, which probably was around scheen's hip which is the primary point of contact
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#28 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

1. schenn's legs are extended
2. you can't see abdelkader's hip, which probably was around scheen's hip which is the primary point of contact

1. Doesn't matter, if a player if hunched over you still can't target his head, same goes for low hits.
2. You can see Abbys hip and it is at his knees. Abby's head is barely at Schenn's hip, let alone Abby's own hip. Plus, logic would dictate it was at his knees since Schenn went end over end.

Like I said, I love these hits, and I think they should be legal, but this one was at his knees, or the very least below Schenn's hips, which is illegal in that new rule log.

Figured I'd do a quick paint thing to show you can't even argue it was a low hit:
Posted Image

Edited by Konnan511, 03 October 2010 - 01:04 PM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#29 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:04 PM

The homerism on these boards is out of control.

Abdelkader got beat up by a much bigger, stronger, and tougher Schenn. He was dizzy trying to pick himself up off the ice afterwards, and the ref had to help him onto his feet and maintain his balance. Schenn landed some bombs at the end of the fight if you watch closely. Nice try for Abdelkader, but he was simply outmached by a better fighter.

I'm not hating on Abdelkader, and I love the Wings, but I call it like it is.

#30 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:07 PM

1. Doesn't matter, if a player if hunched over you still can't target his head, same goes for low hits.
2. You can see Abbys hip and it is at his knees. Abby's head is barely at Schenn's hip, let alone Abby's own hip. Plus, logic would dictate it was at his knees since Schenn went end over end.

Like I said, I love these hits, and I think they should be legal, but this one was at his knees, or the very least below Schenn's hips, which is illegal in that new rule log.

Figured I'd do a quick paint thing to show you can't even argue it was a low hit:
Posted Image

1. youre lines are off
2. it was still above the knees
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#31 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

1. youre lines are off
2. it was still above the knees

1.) Meh, I don't think so. Maybe the left side of the line for Abby's hip is a little low.

2.) Above his knees maybe, but doubtful, still below his waist. i.e. still illegal.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#32 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

1.) Meh, I don't think so. Maybe the left side of the line for Abby's hip is a little low.

2.) Above his knees maybe, but doubtful, still below his waist. i.e. still illegal.

we need more angles, as far as me the refs are concerned it was clean, enjoy it or move on
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#33 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

The Gator took a bite...but Shenn is a future beast, so of corse he is gonna kick some ass...Still glad to see Abby bringin some big checks to the lineup!

#34 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

The rule is pretty vague. I think it was a legal hit, but I guess it depends what you consider to be "the area of his knees."

An illegal "low hit" is a check that is delivered by a player or goalkeeper who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#35 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:01 PM

The homerism on these boards is out of control.

Abdelkader got beat up by a much bigger, stronger, and tougher Schenn. He was dizzy trying to pick himself up off the ice afterwards, and the ref had to help him onto his feet and maintain his balance. Schenn landed some bombs at the end of the fight if you watch closely. Nice try for Abdelkader, but he was simply outmached by a better fighter.

I'm not hating on Abdelkader, and I love the Wings, but I call it like it is.

I didnt see the game, and that wasnt in the above clip. Anyone have this part?

works every time

#36 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

Great hit by Abby- I don't think it warranted a fight, but it was good to see him willing to go afterward. I would have liked to see Schenn square-up and ditch the lid (and Abby do the same). While Abby lost, he did a better job of keeping his balance and trying to slow the fight down than he has in his previous NHL fights. Abby did well until the end when Schenn unloaded a bit.

#37 L3T5G0W1NG5

L3T5G0W1NG5

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

Soooooooo many Homer's in this thread.

The hit was a bit low.

Schenn won the fight.

#38 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

What was the unsportsmanlike for?

I believe it was for instigating a fight with a visor.

#39 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

Great hit. Wrestling match doesn't count as a fight. 19 minutes of penalties for huggytime has to suck.

Retaliation on a clean hit. I think that's something the NHL is trying to cut down on. Don't be surprised to see more of those in addition to instigating on these lameass clean hit retaliation scrums.

I'm also incredibly tired of seeing fights develop from clean hits (regardless if this particular hit was clean). Apparently hockey players forget that they're playing hockey. Hits are part of the game, don't get your panties in a bunch because you got hit.

#40 NotTooAbby

NotTooAbby

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

It's at hi knees:
Posted Image

How about the sweet "POW" on the boards right where Abby hits Schenn.

Clean hip check. Gotta love this kid. Mark my word....when Abby hits 57 games he will have as many hits as the 2nd best player at the end of the year.