• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Will Maltby be put on waivers?

Rate this topic

As much as I have enjoyed Maltby's years of service, this team and this game has gotten to young for him. I am glad this team is finally pushing the issue with older players that are not as equipped as the young ones. Nothing against Maltby, but it's time.

There is no reason to lose another GR player in the fold, because they want to hold on to the past.

link

As much as I have enjoyed Maltby's years of service, this team and this game has gotten to young for him. I am glad this team is finally pushing the issue with older players that are not as equipped as the young ones. Nothing against Maltby, but it's time.

There is no reason to lose another GR player in the fold, because they want to hold on to the past.

link

I thought his time should have been up 3 years ago...

i thought he signed a 2 way contract?

Two way contracts only dictate how much he gets paid. He gets paid a higher amount it he plays in Detroit, and a lower amount if he plays in GR. Two way contracts have no bearing on a player's waiver eligibility status.

Two way contracts only dictate how much he gets paid. He gets paid a higher amount it he plays in Detroit, and a lower amount if he plays in GR. Two way contracts have no bearing on a player's waiver eligibility status.

And if someone picks him up off waivers then the Wings aren't responsible for any portion of Kirk's cap hit. The Wings would have to cover a portion (half I think) of the cap hit if the contract were one-way.

Not saying there's a chance Kirk will be picked up. Just speaking generally.

I thought the plan was to have him play in GR for most of the season and get called up a few times throughout the year. He would then play a couple playoff games for the Wings (assuming the Wings make it and get up a couple games on a team) and end his career in a Wings' jersey.

I thought the plan was to have him play in GR for most of the season and get called up a few times throughout the year. He would then play a couple playoff games for the Wings (assuming the Wings make it and get up a couple games on a team) and end his career in a Wings' jersey.

^This.

Can't he just be assigned to GR as we're still in the pre-season, or does he actually have to pass through waivers first?

I thought a lot of these guys, for example Redden, were getting waived because they don't have an two way option on their contract (and besides lack of performance) and the team is obviously looking for cap relief.

Forgive me. I'm completely unknowledgeable on this.

EDIT: Just re-read Jedi's post and checked the interwebs for waiver-eligibility status.

Edited by e_prime

maltby still on the team as of now

Thomas McCollum among 12 Wings sent to Grand Rapids

The Detroit News

The Red Wings reduced their roster to 29 players by assigning 12 to the AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins on Sunday, including goalie Thomas McCollum and defenseman Brendan Smith.

Forwards: Joakim Andersson, Willie Coetzee, Cory Emmerton, Chris Minard, Jordan Owens, Francis Pare, Jamie Tardif, Tomas Tatar

Advertisement

Defensemen: Brian Lashoff, Logan Pyett, Brendan Smith

Goalies: Thomas McCollum

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101003/SPORTS0103/10030326/1128/sports0103/Thomas-McCollum-among-12-Wings-sent-to-Grand-Rapids

He'll go down and score 50 goals in GR. Griffs win the Calder Cup.

Did you hear he was a 50 goal scorer in juniors? :rolleyes:

Of course he'll be waived & make it through to go to GR. Since he only has to pass through once, I would expect he'll be the first one called up if the injury bug hits again this year.

i see, i thought it meant he could be sent down or called up at anytime. thanks for the info

Guest Crymson

I think there's almost a 100% chance that he'll be waived. Otherwise, two rather than one of Draper, Kindl, Miller and Ritola will need to be waived.