• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Could Eaves be put on waivers?

Rate this topic

Guest Stolberg
you also have to consider the fact that maybe Maltby just doesn't know if he wants to go to GR and is considering retirement... out of respect, you don't "waive" a guy while he's making this decision with his family... I think this is the more likely scenario, is that he told Kenny that he doesn't know what he wants to do yet, so they're giving him 24 hours (well, gave him 24 hours as they decision will come down today) to make his decision before he's waived or retires...

why would maltby sign a contract if he was just going to retire? that isn't very respectful either.

why would maltby sign a contract if he was just going to retire? that isn't very respectful either.

Because it was a 2-way deal, so no caphit for Detroit if he does retire AND maybe he genuinely thought he could win a job in camp, or at bare minimum, get claimed by another NHL team, but you have to have a contract in the first place for that to even be an option... as the old saying goes "keep your options open"

How exactly would him signing a 2-way deal and then retiring be disrespectful by the way?

It's nice the Wings have five guys who are hungry to be on that fourth line and prove themselves every night. Great for the team.

At the same time, from the perspective of the guys as individuals, it kind of sucks because none of those guys should be sitting as reserve forwards for any game and I'm sure they feel that way too.

put Eaves on the top line a few shifts, not sure if Homer has the legs to keep with the Euro twins all game. Use Homer on the PP

and split shifts with Eaves on the 4th and top line.

I think you're on the right track with this thought, but a little off... I think Eaves has all the skill and ability to play a top line role, plus one hell of a shot... I wouldn't have a problem at all with Eaves getting a FEW shifts here and there with the top unit and Holmstrom's minutes reduced, but this should not be a constant...

Maybe distribute the minutes as so:

ZDH - 16mins

ZDE - 6mins

Homer still all PP time and Eaves killing penalties, plus his 4th line minutes as normal... essentially what this would end up doing with minute distribution would be getting Holmer's minutes down a little on 5-5 and saving his legs and giving Eaves a shot to show what he can do, while giving him a few more minutes a game...

great play by helm and eaves last night on the PK, definitely should have been the game winning goal. love seeing those 2 score, sometimes when our top guys score you can tell its just business as usual, but the look on those 2 guys faces last night was priceless

Oh, now everyone is all "Eaves I LOVE you" and when I posted a theoretical line combination in the middle of the summer with Eaves on Datsyuk's wing, I was torn apart.

I guarantee I was not one of those that tore you apart... I've always loved Eaves upside...

Ditto. I've been nothing less than a HUGE Eaves supporter.

hell, I took a ton of slack when I suggested several different times, that he should be given a serious look at the point on the PP for the righty-lefty combo that Babs loves so much...

Oh, now everyone is all "Eaves I LOVE you" and when I posted a theoretical line combination in the middle of the summer with Eaves on Datsyuk's wing, I was torn apart.

Probably because it would be moronic to put Eave on Datsyuk's win.

I love the guy, but he isn't the prime candidate to play on the same line with a guy like Dats.

Probably because it would be moronic to put Eave on Datsyuk's win.

I love the guy, but he isn't the prime candidate to play on the same line with a guy like Dats.

Speedy winger with a hard, accurate shot. Yep, last guy I'd pick to play on the wing with my top playmaker...

Speedy winger with a hard, accurate shot. Yep, last guy I'd pick to play on the wing with my top playmaker...

He isn't THAT fast and his shot isn't THAT hard. He simply does not have the talent to play with a guy like Datsyuk and if he did he wouldn't be on the fourth line. I don't care how "deep" you think this team is.

He isn't THAT fast and his shot isn't THAT hard. He simply does not have the talent to play with a guy like Datsyuk and if he did he wouldn't be on the fourth line. I don't care how "deep" you think this team is.

So how much talent is required to play with Dats? I mean, is there a test? And is it based on offensive skill, overall ability, two-way play, what?

No, Eaves is probably not a top-six quality forward in the NHL. But when the goal is to have an effective lineup, not a list of who's better at each position, Eaves on Datsyuk's wing is certainly a viable option.

The lineup I had written out was the following:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Franzen

Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Eaves

Cleary/Filppula/Bertuzzi

Helm/Abdelkader/Miller

Draper

(Note: Lineup created pre-Modano)

So how much talent is required to play with Dats? I mean, is there a test? And is it based on offensive skill, overall ability, two-way play, what?

No, Eaves is probably not a top-six quality forward in the NHL. But when the goal is to have an effective lineup, not a list of who's better at each position, Eaves on Datsyuk's wing is certainly a viable option.

The lineup I had written out was the following:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Franzen

Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Eaves

Cleary/Filppula/Bertuzzi

Helm/Abdelkader/Miller

Draper

(Note: Lineup created pre-Modano)

Eaves is a grinding type player. He does not have the type of skillset to be effective on the top line. He just doesn't.

On another site, I mentioned having Eaves play on Datsyuk's wing too, and was also torn apart.

I'm sticking by it, Eaves still has major untapped offensive potential. Still owns a lethal shot.

Eaves is not Holmstrom. He is too far down on the chain to be considered to be on a line with Datsyuk, and the fourth line fits him better anyway.

No one here is advocating that he automatically be given top line minutes, merely that he should be considered and maybe put out for a shift or two here and there and give him a chance to see what he can do... and no, he is not Holmstrom and their game is pretty different, my point is, you don't know what you have in a guy, until he's at least given a chance to see what he can do... if he doesn't earn more shifts with the top 6 after a couple random shifts here and there, then you don't give him any more chances, but what would it hurt to try? and yes, he is fast enough and yes, his shot is good enough... it's not a mistake that he scored 20 goals in this league at one time...

Eaves scores one goal and that justifies over-zealous comments about him being a top six winger?

On LGW it sure does. <_<

Over simplification of several statements which stated that he should be given more of a look, which was not that cut and dry in the first place, taken to be saying the guy is the next coming of Pavel Bure in his prime

On LGW it sure does. <_<

No one here is advocating that he automatically be given top line minutes, merely that he should be considered and maybe put out for a shift or two here and there and give him a chance to see what he can do... and no, he is not Holmstrom and their game is pretty different, my point is, you don't know what you have in a guy, until he's at least given a chance to see what he can do... if he doesn't earn more shifts with the top 6 after a couple random shifts here and there, then you don't give him any more chances, but what would it hurt to try? and yes, he is fast enough and yes, his shot is good enough... it's not a mistake that he scored 20 goals in this league at one time...

That wasn't a discussion about top 6 or not. Eva suggested Eaves play on a line with Datsyuk over Cleary, Franzen, Holmstrom, etc. Not an effective use of assets.

Also Eaves scored 20 goals his rookie year. Five years ago.

I like the guy and everything but he is doing well in the position he plays. We shouldn't suddenly start saying "hey Eaves top line nao?" just because he scored a nice goal on a 2 on 1.