• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

3 wings in top 100 prospects

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

I was compelled to dig through that list to see how Chicago ranks since their fans are always trying to hype and bloat up their talent pool... and I must say, they are not that impressive at all. In fact, Red Wings look like they are on track to have better future at this point. Not to mention Chi-town had to tank for a s***-load of years to get top picks and just had a firesale for more prospects. Now that Holland and Co. are valuing picks more now than ever (since the CBA), the cupboards are starting to get stacked back up.

Jan Mursak should of gotten some consideration in the top 100 based on his preseason. Boy, are the Red Wings are f@cking deep or what! :thumbup:

Oh and Gustav Nyquist is going to be a stud in the NHL! :siren:

Edit:

Also Teemu Pulkkinen wasn't listed in the first 3 pages (26-100). I bet HockeyWriters have him in the top 20.

Edited by Heaten

Guest mindfly

I'm curious about all our college prospects that haven't had a chance to go to training camps... do they really have to finish their degree or whatever, go pro hockey player instead come on.

Am I the only one that doesn't see this as that great? If you are talking about top 100 prospects, on average, every team would have 3, with 10 teams having 4. Detroit would appear to have 4, so not significantly better than the pack and of those 4, 3 of them are #64 or lower and 2 are 87 or lower.

There should be three to four prospects per team in the top 100. I'm just saying...

I'd be curious to see Illitch's front office, scouting, and development budget compared to other teams.

I'm not sure if there's a team that isn't on there? That'd be bad though.

Am I the only one that doesn't see this as that great? If you are talking about top 100 prospects, on average, every team would have 3, with 10 teams having 4. Detroit would appear to have 4, so not significantly better than the pack and of those 4, 3 of them are #64 or lower and 2 are 87 or lower.

Yeah, that was my point. And if you look at it as only 1 in the top 50...it's nothing to get all psyched up about, that's for sure.

Yeah, that was my point. And if you look at it as only 1 in the top 50...it's nothing to get all psyched up about, that's for sure.

nyquist should be in the top 20-30, just like he should have won the hobey baker...but hey, that's politics. when he wins the cup with the wings before all the other guys ahead of him, it doesn't matter where he's ranked.

I caution against placing too much value into these rankings.

It is too easy to lose yourself in what is little more than arbitrary forecasts over the potential career path of these players. There have been plenty of incredibly touted prospects who have failed to translate into the professional game for whatever reason(please see Alex Daigle, Pat Stefan, Pat Faloon). The ISS Rankings, Hockeys Future, McKeen's, etc all attempt to bring some type of clarity and science to this whole process but as with any prospect scouting - a lot is missed and it is far from perfect.

And for fun - the 2005 ISS rankings

1. Sidney Crosby, Center - Rimouski (QMJHL)

2. Jack Johnson, Defenseman - USNTDP U-18

3. Gilbert Brule, Center - Vancouver (WHL)

4. Marek Zagrapan, Center - Chicoutimi (QMJHL)

5. Ryan O'Marra, Center - Erie (OHL)

6. Guillame Latendresse, Left Wing - Drummondville (QMJHL)

7. Nicklas Bergfors, Right Wing - Sodertalje (Sweden)

8. Jakub Kindl, Defenseman - Kitchener (OHL)

9. Benoit Pouliot, Left Wing - Sudbury (OHL)

10. Alex Bourret, Center - Lewiston (QMJHL)

I would rather look at the organizational system in place and the their ability to produce contributing players than the prospects themselves. Does Detroit have faith in their scouting, drafting, development, and pace in which they acquire players? Do they feel comfortable with the personnel that they have in place and their potential going forward? Are they pleased with the development of key prospects as they begin to identify their needs that they will need to address (i.e Abdelkader as a physical, defensive minded, checker). It is apparent the Wings are looking for future snipers on the Wing, and puck moving defensemen given their current personnel.

I trust the Wings and believe in their development program - how could I not when they've taken non-ISS loved players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Holmstrom, etc.

I caution against placing too much value into these rankings.

I trust the Wings and believe in their development program - how could I not when they've taken non-ISS loved players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Holmstrom, etc.

That's true, but it is nice to see an unbiased evaluation of the talent in our system.

Considering where we typically draft, having 4 of our guys get a 26-100 ranking is pretty impressive. I think Kindl could possibly get a top 25. Pulkkinen would surprise me that high, but I'm also a little surprised he wasn't already listed.

Consider that Toronto, Atlanta, and Philly don't have anyone in the first 75, Edmonton, SJ, and Min all have only one and all ranked 96 or lower, and Carolina, Dallas, and Columbus each only have one as well. We're looking pretty good. Looking forward to seeing the top 25.

That's true, but it is nice to see an unbiased evaluation of the talent in our system.

Considering where we typically draft, having 4 of our guys get a 26-100 ranking is pretty impressive. I think Kindl could possibly get a top 25. Pulkkinen would surprise me that high, but I'm also a little surprised he wasn't already listed.

Consider that Toronto, Atlanta, and Philly don't have anyone in the first 75, Edmonton, SJ, and Min all have only one and all ranked 96 or lower, and Carolina, Dallas, and Columbus each only have one as well. We're looking pretty good. Looking forward to seeing the top 25.

Edmonton will have 3 in the top 25 though with Hall, Eberle and MPS

Considering where we typically draft, having 4 of our guys get a 26-100 ranking is pretty impressive.

I 'spose it is. I've realized that these are prospects that include multiple years. So if it includes our late draft picks of maybe a 4 year span, and ranks them against other teams earlier draft picks in the same four year span, you'd think their earlier picks from '06.'07,'08,'09 would all be taking up the top 100 while our late picks eat Giordano's pizza and watch.

Did I make that clear? A little help please if I didn't.