• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Mike Illitch to buy the Detroit Pistons

Rate this topic

woop! illitch will return Detroit to sports greatness ( now he just needs the lions)

There are many things the Illitch's can do but turn the Lions into a great team? I'm all for happy thoughts and positive thinking but thats a step too far for me.

I revel in the pity expressed by people when I tell them a Lions fan, it counters the hatred expressed when they find out I'm a Wings fan. If the Lions became great it'd mess with my ying and yang or something.:D

I find it hard to believe that the Pistons are worth 475 Million! Or did I just read that wrong. Even with PS&E 475 Million seems a bit steep! I wonder how much the Wings are worth????

Since I am moving back to Michigan in December, a new arena in the Fox Theater area would be nice!! All 4 teams would play in the same area, I think its a great idea and Awesome for Detroit! I think it will hurt the Oakland County Economy not having the Pistons there 50 times a year, but they will still have the Palace to hold other events. I just hope that the Palace does fall into the hole the Silverdome did! I think the Silverdome cost the City of Pontiac 20 million to build in 1973 and opened in 1975, but they only got 550,000 in auction for the Dome.

Honestly I would like to see a Minor League Hockey Team come into the Palace. I know the Vipers fell through the cracks, but I think a team that would be tied into the Wings organization like Toledo or something (Jr Wings) would make a decent splash. The Palace would be a great venue for something like that!

I find it hard to believe that the Pistons are worth 475 Million! Or did I just read that wrong. Even with PS&E 475 Million seems a bit steep! I wonder how much the Wings are worth????

Since I am moving back to Michigan in December, a new arena in the Fox Theater area would be nice!! All 4 teams would play in the same area, I think its a great idea and Awesome for Detroit! I think it will hurt the Oakland County Economy not having the Pistons there 50 times a year, but they will still have the Palace to hold other events. I just hope that the Palace does fall into the hole the Silverdome did! I think the Silverdome cost the City of Pontiac 20 million to build in 1973 and opened in 1975, but they only got 550,000 in auction for the Dome.

Honestly I would like to see a Minor League Hockey Team come into the Palace. I know the Vipers fell through the cracks, but I think a team that would be tied into the Wings organization like Toledo or something (Jr Wings) would make a decent splash. The Palace would be a great venue for something like that!

I don't really want Illitch to be anymore distracted than he already is. I guess having a cap means he doesn't have to invest as much in the Wings to ice a good team, though so maybe it won't matter? I really hope they name something in Detroit after Illitch, the guy is singlehandedly resurrecting it's sports culture.

If he does buy it I hope the initial results are better then what happened with the Tigers.

I still don't care for the idea of a multi-purpose arena, as I think it affects the ice quality, but this all but ensures that this will be the case now, with that said, this new arena is going to be epic...

And I can't wait to see the arguments of who will pay for it.

Edited by dragonballgtz

Well, they really couldn't get much worse.

First World Series appearance in 20 years and only one losing season in the last 5 years... don't get me wrong, with what they've spent, there should be more playoff appearances and they SHOULD be better, but lets not make it out to be worse than it is... with that said, I think Dombrowski is on the ropes and better put one hell of a team on the field next year or I think he's on the chopping block...

Ugh, I don't want to see Yzerman and Howe's numbers hanging besides basketball giants.

I hate the idea of a dual-occupancy arena as well, but it is what it is I guess...

with that said, I'm pretty sure they would hang them on opposite sides of the arena... there are simply too many Wings banners to share a side with the Pistons :)

Let's not worry about arenas right now. The good news is a major Detroit team will be in good hands. I was so worried that some ignorant jackass owner was going to take over and throw his weight around simply because he has money.

Guest CaliWingsNut

There are many things the Illitch's can do but turn the Lions into a great team? I'm all for happy thoughts and positive thinking but thats a step too far for me.

I revel in the pity expressed by people when I tell them a Lions fan, it counters the hatred expressed when they find out I'm a Wings fan. If the Lions became great it'd mess with my ying and yang or something.:D

I believe NFL rules would forbid Ilitch from purchasing the Lions. I think it's against NFL rules for an owner to also own competing professional teams in the same market.

I believe there was a NHL team recently transferred from parent to son to avoid this rule?

A dual-use arena. Jack of all trades, master of none. :(

However, how awesome would it be if they made a massive entertainment complex, with two arenas attached as one, sharing one wall and an atrium, but two separate actual arenas?

Wings on the North Side of the structure, Pistons on the South, then you could (in theory) even have both teams playing home games on the same night... also could share parking, concessions, etc, while still having double luxury suites... now THAT would be amazing...

However, how awesome would it be if they made a massive entertainment complex, with two arenas attached as one, sharing one wall and an atrium, but two separate actual arenas?

Wings on the North Side of the structure, Pistons on the South, then you could (in theory) even have both teams playing home games on the same night... also could share parking, concessions, etc, while still having double luxury suites... now THAT would be amazing...

But what about those fans who have season tickets for hockey and basketball? I'm sure there is fair few of those.

Two linked arenas, I like the idea of that, I'm just not so sure that having two sports events on at the same time wouldn't affect attendances overall.

Guest CaliWingsNut

But what about those fans who have season tickets for hockey and basketball? I'm sure there is fair few of those.

Two linked arenas, I like the idea of that, I'm just not so sure that having two sports events on at the same time wouldn't affect attendances overall.

Not to mention the traffic headaches from having that many people in one place at the same time. How much parking would that take??

Not to mention the traffic headaches from having that many people in one place at the same time. How much parking would that take??

There are already those problems with concerts at the State (Fillmore) and games at Comerica, Lions, etc... it causes a lot of traffice, but it can be done and it's good for the city... extra people = extra revenue, plus, generally speaking, the fan bases of basketball and hockey don't always exactly overlap...