• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

droz

Sharks cut Andreas Lilja

Rate this topic

Former Detroit Red Wings defenseman Andreas Lilja is still looking for a job, after the San Jose Sharks announced today that they will not offer him a contract.

Lilja, 35, had been in Sharks camp on a tryout.

"Andreas had a very competitive camp and played well for us but we also have several young defenseman who played well," Sharks coach Todd McLellan said in a release. "They have put in their time in the organization and we feel that they have earned and deserve an opportunity to compete for a spot on this team."

Lilja is in a bind because his work visa expires on Sunday.

[/url]The Red Wings offered him a one-year contract for $1 million earlier this summer, but he turned it down, believing he could get a two-year deal worth more money from another club.

His chances of returning to the Red Wings ended when the club signed Ruslan Salei to a one-year deal on Aug. 9.

MILive

I bet he is kicking himself for being too greedy now! His greed might have knocked him right out of the league. I think he was lucky to have been offered 1 year at 1 mill after having to miss a year with a soft head... the rare player in Detroit that does not show his loyalty back to the team

I bet he is kicking himself for being too greedy now! His greed might have knocked him right out of the league. I think he was lucky to have been offered 1 year at 1 mill after having to miss a year with a soft head... the rare player in Detroit that does not show his loyalty back to the team

I don't think it had anything to do with money. He wanted more ice time.

I don't think it had anything to do with money. He wanted more ice time.

Bad decision any way you look at it... coming off of a very serious injury, visa set to expire, being offered a job with a team you know and like. Bad call. Too bad, he was really winning me over as a fan before his injury too. I do think Salei, if healthy, could be a much better and cheaper replacement anyway. Good luck Lilja.

Bad decision any way you look at it... coming off of a very serious injury, visa set to expire, being offered a job with a team you know and like. Bad call. Too bad, he was really winning me over as a fan before his injury too. I do think Salei, if healthy, could be a much better and cheaper replacement anyway. Good luck Lilja.

This. It just keeps looking worse and worse for Lilja.