• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

TSN's Top 50 NHL Players for 2010-11 Season

Rate this topic

Did anyone catch the show last night? If not, there is video up on tsn.ca. They came up with the top 50 based on voting of a panel of 25.

I won't give you the whole 50, but here is their top 15:

1 - Crosby

2 - Ovechkin

3 - Toews

4 - Malkin

5 - Keith

6 - H. Sedin

7 - Datsyuk

8 - Doughty

9 - Backstrom

10 - Stamkos

11 - Zetterberg

12 - Miller

13 - Kovalchuk

14 - Nash

15 - Kane

I found a few things interesting. I won't discuss any of my surprises as to how low some guys were beyond the top 15 or those that were left off the list, because to be honest, I didn't catch the whole show.

Anyway, here are some of my quick thoughts:

- they have shown some good respect for Datsyuk and Zetterberg despite their down offensive years last year and have them pretty high on the list

- Not sure I'd have Stamkos so high after 1 great year, but I guess the list is based on who they think will be the best for this coming season, so I can see it, but I'd like to see a little more of him before I put him so high

- Toews - great player, no question, but #3 in the league? He's never hit 70pts. He had a great playoff year and is great at so many areas of the game, but I don't quite get how much love he gets from everyone. I love him too and understand it a bit, but not to the point where I'd say the only players better than him are Crosby and Ovechkin.

- H. Sedin is this high because of last year, but he's not any better than his brother Daniel, why is there such a separation between the 2?

- Crosby rec'd 16 votes for #1 compared to 9 for Ovechkin. That's not the interesting point to me, the interesting point to me is that someone voted Ovechkin as #3. (Crosby - 16 first place, 9 second place), Ovechkin (9 first place, 15 second place, 1 third place). Who is the person who thought Ovechkin wasn't in the top 2?

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Toews is quickly becoming one of the most overrated in the league.

Not sure I can agree with most of that list.

Agreed to an extent. He defiantly has teh capability to raech that potential, but even with his conn smythe winning performance, I don't feel as if he is as good as they make him out to be. By the end of this year however, it may be a different story.

Guest Heaten

Agreed about Toews.

I'm baffled about a lot of this list.

Daniel and Henrik separated by so much?

Brad Richards 49th?

No doubt the list is majorly flawed. And Toews at #3 is a joke. I read HF boards and pretty much everyone not a Blackhawk bandwagoner agrees Toews has no business at #3.

TSN trying to overrated players creates an adverse effect, Hockey fans will start hating teams and players when the media unjustly shove players down our throats for marketing purposes. It's one thing if the player deserves the recognition, but Toews wasn't an impressive Conn Smythe winner and no way deserve the #3 spot.

Zetterberg, Lidstrom, and Datsyuk dropped after an injury riddled season. Those three alone should be top 10 any other year.

Oh wait.... Patrick Sharp at 50? How the hell did he make the list? Holy overrate battman!!!

The article and details in the ranks are even worse. I swear the journalism at TSN is getting bad or maybe I just had my blinders on.

A few things they got wrong:

Devils netminder Martin Brodeur is the oldest at 38

Lidstrom is 40

His (Crosby) post-season production ranks him third overall in NHL history with 1.34 points per game, trailing only Wayne Gretzky (1.84) and Mario Lemieux (1.61).

Ovie is at 1.4 granted with fewer games but they did not even mention a requirement for games played.

They fixed another thing that someone else caught. Kovalchuk's first details at #13 read that he was the only person with a streak of 5 40+ goal seasons. Well Ovie was at that mark as well and even better.

Grrr.... this is the kind of crap that pisses me off. A "respectable" journalist site should at least make sure their information is correct before posting. It's like internet articles do not have to be scanned first because they can edit it on the fly.

/rant

Edited by dragonballgtz

lol Toews. He's yet to break 70pts as an NHL player. And they have him ranked 3rd overall?!? Given his fantastic year last year at the Olympics and in the playoffs I'm fine with them ranking him in the top 15, but 3rd is retarded.

Guest mindfly

I want to say Lidstrom is the best, but based on last season, even though the team was injured like hell, you can't know for sure.. there's doughty, keith, pronger, chara etc.... i'll give it until christmas and then we can start evaluate.

Getzlaf is definitely in the top fifteen players. Better than Kane and Nash, anyway.

I agree with this. Toews is nowhere near top 5 in the NHL, this list is ridiculous. I remember last years playoffs the announcers were hyping him up as if he was the next Mario or something with his performance. less than 70 points a season and not a complete 2-way forward warrants #3 ? Backstrom imo is a way better player than Toews.

Kane in the top 15 players, and Seabrook and Sharp even mentioned? What Blackhawk homer made this list?

Wow. 6 Hawks and only 4 wings. Total homerism!!! Not to mention this list is basically based on last year, so I would say its pretty reasonable. Keep basing it strictly on points though!

Last year- Toews wins the Cup, Conn Smythe and was voted best forward in the Olympics. Guess what? He has accomplished quite alot for a 22 year old and is recognized by players, coaches and media as one of the best young leaders in the game. Hes also not a whiny little s*** like Crosby.

Funny that the responses so far almost exclusively deal with how Kane and Toews should be nowhere near as high as they are. I hears Backstrom is better, thats a good one. Is it because he plays with Ovechkin and racks up assists then chokes come playoff time? Same for the Sedins? Total ******* when it matters most?

This list isnt a list of top 50 of the past 5-10 years, its the 50 best heading into the 2010-2011 season.

Some of you guys are so bitter towards anything hawks, or non wings its ridiculous. WHAAAA Datsyuk is #7 not #1 WHAAAAAA. Lidstrom is 40 years old, how can he be only at #26 WHAAAA

Edited by Dave82RWS

Toews is the media's response to Crosby. Crosby is consistently spoon fed to us as the best player in the East, and now they see this young kid from Chicago who just won the Cup so he must be the Western Conference Sidney Crosby. Apparently that makes him the best player over here.

Wow. 6 Hawks and only 4 wings. Total homerism!!! Not to mention this list is basically based on last year, so I would say its pretty reasonable. Keep basing it strictly on points though!

Last year- Toews wins the Cup, Conn Smythe and was voted best forward in the Olympics. Guess what? He has accomplished quite alot for a 22 year old and is recognized by players, coaches and media as one of the best young leaders in the game. Hes also not a whiny little s*** like Crosby.

Funny that the responses so far almost exclusively deal with how Kane and Toews should be nowhere near as high as they are. I hears Backstrom is better, thats a good one. Is it because he plays with Ovechkin and racks up assists then chokes come playoff time? Same for the Sedins? Total ******* when it matters most?

This list isnt a list of top 50 of the past 5-10 years, its the 50 best heading into the 2010-2011 season.

Some of you guys are so bitter towards anything hawks, or non wings its ridiculous. WHAAAA Datsyuk is #7 not #1 WHAAAAAA. Lidstrom is 40 years old, how can he be only at #26 WHAAAA

What?

Please ignore this temper tantrum.

If you think Backstrom is only talented because he plays with Ovechkin then that pretty much sums up your actual Hockey knowledge.