• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

TSN's Top 50 NHL Players for 2010-11 Season

Rate this topic

If you think Backstrom is only talented because he plays with Ovechkin then that pretty much sums up your actual Hockey knowledge.

Now your putting words in my mouth. Never said he wasnt talented, but dont think his point totals would be the same if he didnt have the best most dynamic player along side.

People who base s*** just on points shows a persons actual hockey knowledge.

Edited by Dave82RWS

Now your putting words in my mouth. Never said he wasnt talented, but dont think his point totals would be the same if he didnt have the best most dynamic player along side.

On points ? im talking about an overall player, you clearly haven't watched any games hes played. Hes strong with the puck, has good skating and elusive style so he can get around you with dekes, and has good speed, makes good decisions and stellar passing ability to get the pucks where they need to go. He has a decent defensive game, and can also knot 30+ goals and hes only 23 and is only going to get better. However I guess thats not good enough for you.... :rolleyes: Who are you to say he wouldn't be equal or better if he was the number one player on a team ? I personally think he could maintain 90-100 points he has achieved even without Ovy.Hes not a greedy player and doesn't try to do everything himself, even if he can net a open net, he will pass.

Edited by darkmanx

And Toews probably won the Conn Smythe because of his number of blocked shots and not points :yowza:

Besides,Backstrom had 6 points in 4 games playing for the team Sweden in Vancouver and I didn't see Oveckstrom playing on his wing :ph34r:

Wow. 6 Hawks and only 4 wings. Total homerism!!! Not to mention this list is basically based on last year, so I would say its pretty reasonable. Keep basing it strictly on points though!

Last year- Toews wins the Cup, Conn Smythe and was voted best forward in the Olympics. Guess what? He has accomplished quite alot for a 22 year old and is recognized by players, coaches and media as one of the best young leaders in the game. Hes also not a whiny little s*** like Crosby.

Funny that the responses so far almost exclusively deal with how Kane and Toews should be nowhere near as high as they are. I hears Backstrom is better, thats a good one. Is it because he plays with Ovechkin and racks up assists then chokes come playoff time? Same for the Sedins? Total ******* when it matters most?

This list isnt a list of top 50 of the past 5-10 years, its the 50 best heading into the 2010-2011 season.

Some of you guys are so bitter towards anything hawks, or non wings its ridiculous. WHAAAA Datsyuk is #7 not #1 WHAAAAAA. Lidstrom is 40 years old, how can he be only at #26 WHAAAA

Look at it this way. 50 players, 6 positions. That means basically 8 each C, LW, RW, (or 25 F) G, and 16-17 D, if you divide evenly.

The TSN list has Seabrook as the 10th best defenseman in the league, and the last on the list at #48. IMHO, Seabrook is in maybe the 18-22 range for defensemen. Sharp is the bigger deal though. There are ten defensemen and only FIVE goaltenders mentioned, and he is the last player listed. This makes him the #35 forward in the NHL. Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Patrick Sharp? Get real. Dave Bolland, Jiri Hudler, or Val Filppula all would have been better picks.

Look at it this way. 50 players, 6 positions. That means basically 8 each C, LW, RW, (or 25 F) G, and 16-17 D, if you divide evenly.

The TSN list has Seabrook as the 10th best defenseman in the league, and the last on the list at #48. IMHO, Seabrook is in maybe the 18-22 range for defensemen. Sharp is the bigger deal though. There are ten defensemen and only FIVE goaltenders mentioned, and he is the last player listed. This makes him the #35 forward in the NHL. Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Patrick Sharp? Get real. Dave Bolland, Jiri Hudler, or Val Filppula all would have been better picks.

lol I knew that was coming.

Have you ever thought that maybe Ovechkin's totals wouldn't be as good without Backstrom? You obviously have not watched the guy play...that much is obvious.

And you think the list is based totally on points? If that is the case, how on Earth do you explain Toews at 3, Datsyuk at 6 and Zetterberg at 11. Didn't they all score around 70pts last year?

And you think the list is based totally on points? If that is the case, how on Earth do you explain Toews at 3, Datsyuk at 6 and Zetterberg at 11. Didn't they all score around 70pts last year?

Yeah, but Toews has a two-way game!

I have no idea why people continue to try and reason with that Dave guy. The chance of breaking through is nill. It's obvious from his lack of general hockey knowledge that he just only started watching hockey when the Blackhawks started getting good. Why bother?

Have you ever thought that maybe Ovechkin's totals wouldn't be as good without Backstrom? You obviously have not watched the guy play...that much is obvious.

That would be interesting to see actually. He did manage to hit 52G basically by himself and then 46 . With Backstrom his average is high 50s possible 60s if he managed to play all of last year... that could be from Backstrom's play (more then likely) or Ovie is getting better with a little more experience and strength. I guess the only way we could see is if they pulled Backstrom off his line and let Ovie try and do everything himself.

Patrick Sharp? Get real. Dave Bolland, Jiri Hudler, or Val Filppula all would have been better picks.

I agree that Patrick Sharp is not top 50, but if you want to talk stats, here are his past 3 seasons:

07/08 - 36g, 62pts

08/09 - 26g, 44pts (61 games = 35g, 59pts over 82 games)

09/10 - 25g, 66pts

09/10 playoffs = 11g, 22pts (22 games).

Bolland, Hudler and Filppula have not put up stats anywhere near that, what makes them better?

I agree that Patrick Sharp is not top 50, but if you want to talk stats, here are his past 3 seasons:

07/08 - 36g, 62pts

09/10 - 25g, 66pts

Bolland, Hudler and Filppula have not put up stats anywhere near that, what makes them better?

Based on those stats, Sharp should be ranked #4 in the NHL.

I agree with this. Toews is nowhere near top 5 in the NHL, this list is ridiculous. I remember last years playoffs the announcers were hyping him up as if he was the next Mario or something with his performance. less than 70 points a season and not a complete 2-way forward warrants #3 ? Backstrom imo is a way better player than Toews.

Exactly. To rate someone like Toews above say....even Datsyuk is ridiculous. Datsyuk is by far a better defensive player, and outscores Toews with less ice time.

They didn't make much of that list based on the skill of the players. They made it based on the popularity of the player...........

I have no idea why people continue to try and reason with that Dave guy. The chance of breaking through is nill. It's obvious from his lack of general hockey knowledge that he just only started watching hockey when the Blackhawks started getting good. Why bother?

The only reason other teams winning a cup is good is so that more people jump on the bandwagon, and thus buy up a ton of merchandise, thus putting more money into hockey.......

The more money in hockey in general, the better the sport will do, the more people will watch it overall......so when Detroit wins 4 more cups over the next several years.........The entire world will know Detroit reigns supreme!

Let the bandwagon fans have their day. Only a clear idiot thinks the Hawks have a good shot at another cup.

07/08 - 36g, 62pts

09/10 - 25g, 66pts

Sharp plays about 5 more minutes at ES than Hudler, and about 1-2 more than Flip. Sharp is a decent defensive player, while Flip and Bolland are notably better and Hudler is above average.

If Hudler played in Sharp's spot and with his minutes, he'd be an 80 point player. Flip and Bolland are two of the league's better two-way players. Sharp is not far behind, but he's fourth out of the group.

Lidstrom is the best in the world at what he does, and he's ranked so low.

What a joke.

I love Lidstrom as much as anybody but he is no longer the world's best defenseman, Keith and Doughty have certainly surpassed him and the gap will only continue to grow.....I agree with the criticism of the number 3 ranking of Toews but he is definitely a top 10 player, his games is very reminiscent of Yzerman's in the second half of his career..will probably never win a scoring title but is extremely well rounded. In my opinion the biggest omission to the top 15 is Getzlaf.

I love Lidstrom as much as anybody but he is no longer the world's best defenseman, Keith and Doughty have certainly surpassed him and the gap will only continue to grow.....I agree with the criticism of the number 3 ranking of Toews but he is definitely a top 10 player, his games is very reminiscent of Yzerman's in the second half of his career..will probably never win a scoring title but is extremely well rounded. In my opinion the biggest omission to the top 15 is Getzlaf.

As far as the last two years, I have ranked the top two defensemen Lidstrom-Keith and then Keith-Lidstrom. I would put Lidstrom as the best over the two years. As far as this season? Keith and Doughty certainly come in as the Norris favorites, but Lidstrom should be considered in the top three at the very least, and the only defenseman I would consider putting ahead of him on a top-50 list would be Keith. The others who are on this list ahead of Nick are good, but not at Nick's level. And ranking Nick one spot ahead of Mike Green is like saying that Alexei Zhamnov was Sergei Fedorov's equal.