• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kolo

Could Draper have been wavied?

Rate this topic

No, you can still be waived, there are simply different rules for guys on one-ways, including the need to pay their full salary if they are sent to the minor vs. the 10-20% that you'd would be paying someone on a two-way.

Kris Draper has a +35 contract, meaning he signed a multi-year deal over the age of 35. If he is waived or if he retires his cap hit still counts anyways.

hmm... Do you think it would of been better to waive him... and keep Ritola?

We wouldn't have the cap space. His contract would still count against the cap, even if he is in the minors or retired...

For this year? Maybe, but Draper provides a lot of intangibles for the team that don't show up on the score-sheet. In the long term- probably not. It can also be argued (and I wouldn't disagree) that the Wings' commitment to their veterans is part of the reason the team is able to sign/retain players in the future.

It's possible he could have consistent injury issues and be placed on LTIR. If I'm not mistaken, players on the LTIR don't count against the cap until they come back.

Pretty much... though they still technically count against the cap, you can exceed the cap while they are out (assuming you are up against it).

It's possible he could have consistent injury issues and be placed on LTIR. If I'm not mistaken, players on the LTIR don't count against the cap until they come back.

If this happens, don't be surprised to see Draper signed to another contract (he if wants it) similar to Maltby's. I don't see Draper retiring after playing <20 games in a season unless he has serious injuries.

Pretty much... though they still technically count against the cap, you can exceed the cap while they are out (assuming you are up against it).

I've always thought that was a dumb, redundant rule.

If they weren't up against the cap then them being on LTIR has no bearing on whether they would be able to sign someone or not anyway.

Guest CaliWingsNut

If they weren't up against the cap then them being on LTIR has no bearing on whether they would be able to sign someone or not anyway.

Try playing a game w/ 2 goalies on LTIR and no cap space.

Get a gaggle of lawyers in a room together and left becomes three rights.

We wouldn't have the cap space. His contract would still count against the cap, even if he is in the minors or retired...

With the bonus cushion, we actually could have afforded it. Would have only left us with around $150K, but it was technically possible. I would swear Draper had a no move clause though, but according to capgeek it's just a no trade, so again, technically possible.

Not that it would have been a good thing to do either way. This board was all over Chicago for dumping Huet, now some want to suggest we should have done the same thing to Draper?

With the bonus cushion, we actually could have afforded it. Would have only left us with around $150K, but it was technically possible. I would swear Draper had a no move clause though, but according to capgeek it's just a no trade, so again, technically possible.

Not that it would have been a good thing to do either way. This board was all over Chicago for dumping Huet, now some want to suggest we should have done the same thing to Draper?

I'm not saying dump drapper... but I think (since he is already injured and if we could of afforded it) I think I would of waived drapper... and still of had ritola? I mean, I don't really want to see LEINO 2.0 again... lol