#21 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

Maltby to the rescue!

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#22 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

As it looks like Maltby may be retiring, I would like him to play at least one game this regular season, and then call it quits (and perhaps fill the Verbeek vacancy?).
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#23 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

With bert and abby out.... who are we going to complain about?

I'll complain about Filppula not shooting the damn puck :hockey:

#24 SuperNovaXll

SuperNovaXll

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

Oh geez... Here we go again. As much as I like Maltby, I would like to see someone else brought up to see what they can do.
Long Island Wings Fan since 1991

#25 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

I'll complain about Filppula not shooting the damn puck :hockey:

Or Holland waiving Ritola.

#26 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

Maltby is probably going to get the call up, "loyalty".

#27 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:34 PM

Out of curiosity how does the 2 way contract and the fact Maltby is 37 affect our cap should he retire?

#28 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

We have 23 guys on the roster, how can we call anyone up? Is someone on LTIR or IR that I don't know about?
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#29 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

Maltby is probably going to get the call up, "loyalty".

Or the "he knows the system the best" call-up.

Out of curiosity how does the 2 way contract and the fact Maltby is 37 affect our cap should he retire?

Since he signed a one year contract it wouldn't. The two-way only has to do with how much he's actually getting paid while in the minors, it has no effect any other way. The fact he re-signed with a one year deal means his salary comes off the book. If he signed for more than one year, his cap hit would count against our cap.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#30 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

As it looks like Maltby may be retiring, I would like him to play at least one game this regular season, and then call it quits (and perhaps fill the Verbeek vacancy?).

There is talk that this may happen.

#31 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

Holland pretty much already said Maltby will get the call-up and it could be Maltby's last game.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#32 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

Or the "he knows the system the best" call-up.

Since he signed a one year contract it wouldn't. The two-way only has to do with how much he's actually getting paid while in the minors, it has no effect any other way. The fact he re-signed with a one year deal means his salary comes off the book. If he signed for more than one year, his cap hit would count against our cap.

Thanks Konnan, much appreciated.

Hopefully everyone can get healed, if it is Maltby's last game lets make it one to remember.

#33 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:40 AM

Why the HECK didn't we put Draper/Abby on short term IR and give Ritola a week to prove himself? Gosh. :ranting:

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#34 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

Why the HECK didn't we put Draper/Abby on short term IR and give Ritola a week to prove himself? Gosh. :ranting:

Because of the salary cap.
Rough as guts.

#35 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:42 AM

I'm not too worried about 4th line injuries this season, we've got great depth there. Sucks if Bert starts the season with an injury though.

#36 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:46 AM

Because of the salary cap.

Yet being able to call up Maltby, on the same salary as Ritola, makes sense how...

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#37 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

Yet being able to call up Maltby, on the same salary as Ritola, makes sense how...

Maltby has not been officially recalled. It is just speculation at this point.

#38 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

DAMN.

#39 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,920 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

We still have Z, Pav, Nick, Mule, Nik... and the list goes on. This is not the end of the world. It's not like the lineup looks like:

Sammy-Lang-preFlyers Leino

Lebda-someguypickeduponwaiverscuzhecouldn'tcutitwiththeOilers

#40 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

Maltby had to clear waivers too, dude. Someone had to be sent down, we were at our roster limit. Ritola (and Maltby) just couldn't cut it when given the chance. How many chances does he need?

You make it sound like Maltby was a preference over Ritola.

Edited by Doggy, 08 October 2010 - 03:16 PM.

Rough as guts.